UKC

help i have boot obsession

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 david100 22 Mar 2014
I always have a problem fitting stiff boots because of my narrow heel wide forefoot feet. As a result of this I ended up purchasing 3 different b3 boots over 3 winter seasons. Now I am looking for a pair of b1 scrambling boots. I have bought one pair and they are not quite the perfect fit and I an again spending far too much time obsessing about this problem. To an extent this is a displacement activity because I do not get away much (wife kids job). So I need the UKC collective to tell me to either man up and climb everything in a pair of second hand trainers or to blow all my wages on shiny new boots. Thoughts
 philhilo 22 Mar 2014
In reply to david100:

Sounds complicated to me. Winter - B2/3s (got them off a mate and they fit and work), everything else approach shoes. Job done.
 martinph78 22 Mar 2014
In reply to david100:

Have you actually had a PROPER boot fit?

BnB 22 Mar 2014
In reply to david100:

Scarpa Rebel Lite GTX climb/scramble really well and are almost as light as approach shoes while offering miles more impact protection for feet/ankles and immunity from water ingress.
In reply to philhilo:

I agree with this.

However finding the right single pair of boots and shoes sounds like a potentially epic research task for David!

And I empathise. I have b1s, b2s and b3s - each purchase involving a certain amount of trauma. However I do almost everything in the b2s.

It does sound like displacement, I am similar. You say the boots are not quite perfect, suggesting they're pretty close. Deal with it, wear extra socks or fit insoles; if they're really too small they buy another. Most importantly book a weekend, a day or a trip away doing what you enjoy. If you need to be flexible telnet provisionally book two or three and see what works best nearer the time.

Jfdi. Or do domething more rewarding with your time than niche shopping.
 Blackmud 22 Mar 2014
In reply to david100:

'they are not quite the perfect fit...'

A 'perfect fit' is a wild goose chase in my opinion. If I believed everything I read on the internet about the 'perfect fitting boot' I'd have binned several pairs that have in reality caused me no real problems doing 10 odd hour days back to back in the mountains, because my heels lift a little, or sometimes my ankles hurt a bit on long descents using crampons, and so on. Letting your foot adapt to the boot is probably as important as buying a boot perfectly adapted to your foot (which changes shape and so on with time anyway).
 Skol 22 Mar 2014
In reply to david100:
No word of a lie mate. I had problems with my b3 boots and heel lift. They were properly fitted in a reputable shop. Some old bloke told me to put some sheep wool behind my heel. FFS it worked, and I religiously do this now.
 tlm 23 Mar 2014
In reply to david100:

I'd agree with the idea of putting your energy into getting away more. If you actually book weekends ahead, and commit yourself to going with other people, then you will end up going more. You can pick nice places, that your wife and kids would enjoy as well, and they can come too!

Or just get out for the day - you live in an amazing location. Why not make it your mission to explore absolutely everything as near to you as possible?

I've been walking my whole life and have never bought a new pair of B1 boots! I used wellies/trainers when I was younger and since then have used 2 second hand pairs. B1 boots change as you use them, so that they gradually fit your feet better and better. Getting out more will get your boots to fit you better, even if it is just a walk around the local park in them!
 Michael Gordon 23 Mar 2014
In reply to david100:

It's quite possible to do hillwalking/scrambling in B2/3 boots!
 The Potato 23 Mar 2014
In reply to david100:

ive been quite surprised what can be managed in a pair of worn fell running trainers

Ive had lots of fancy kit in the past but now im realising that so long as you have the skills you can safely get by with basic kit.
 youngtom 23 Mar 2014
In reply to david100:

It sounds like you have similar shaped feet to me (narrow heel, broad toes). I used a pair of Mammut Cliff B1s for a few years as my do-everything-boot. I found them a really good fit and they were nice and precise for scrambling in. They could be worth trying on.

As others have said, you can get away with wearing lots of different types of footwear for summer scrambling. It seems to come down to personal preference and what other activities you want to do in them that decides what the best compromise is for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...