UKC

How wintery is The Lakes now?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 22 Mar 2014
I'm heading up to the Lakes tomorrow (Sunday) and was going to go for a walk but it seems like winter may have made a reappearance. The ski club webcam looks very white and the fell top report suggests quite a bit of recent snow and a low freezing level tomorrow.
In view of this does anybody know if it might be worth my while trying to get a climb done? Don't suppose there's much ice or frozen turf so just snow gullies really but it would be nice to get something done, thanks.
 Wesley Orvis 22 Mar 2014
In reply to pec:
Went up wetherlam via steel edge today lots of fresh snow and rime ice forming above 700m but snow not firm enough for gullies and turf not frozen though signs if it starting to freeze. Looking grand out there today
 simondgee 23 Mar 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

id pinnacle ridge today...was in perfect and utterly brilliant alpine conditions climbed with axe but not crampons. From about below 500M the snow was soft above great and lots of new stuff.
redsonja 23 Mar 2014
In reply to pec:

lords rake/ west wall traverse was still very good last week
 paulh.0776 23 Mar 2014
In reply to pec:

Walked over Bowfell via the climbers traverse yesterday (Sat), Fresh powder/graupel has fallen and been blown over into sheltered ares with some old neve underneath in the gullies high up. There is a thin layer of powder on top of a layer of Graupel, on top of the old compacted neve.

The fracture lines in the cornices about South Gully, North Gully and Angle Tarn Gully have been filled and are not visible, as I found out when I popped my head over the edge to look into North Gully and stepped into a deep fracture line! (no harm done). The fells are looking superb with their winter coat back on but the neve doesn't extend down to a very low altitude so climbing would be very limited. Viewed from below, it looks like the neve starts quite high up the gullies and a scramble up the scree would be required to reach the start,... not recommended,
Should the freezing level drop for a few days then things could well improve in north and east facing areas where the old snow hasn't retreated too far up the mountain, but generally and especially on south facing slopes there isn't anything to play with, (summer boots at the ready).
If you do plan to climb my choice would be to be climbing at or before dawn when the temp is at its lowest.

bonebag 23 Mar 2014
In reply to paulh.0776:

I think you might have answered my question about anyone climbing winter routes in the Lakes this weekend. Looks like it could be over or is very close. Thank you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...