UKC

UKC Fat Club Week 12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 23 Mar 2014
UKC Fat Club is not a substitute for giving up pies and beer but to use in addition to such self denial as a motivational tool for all.

This training article by Dave Macleod includes a section on dietary advice from a climber's point of view:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=317

A new thread is posted each week on Sunday for anyone to jot down their previous week's sins, noting goals, successes and failures and to swap ideas.

Anyone interested in starting is very welcome but you should aim to post each week, every week, however little or much you have eaten.
By making such a regular public record of your activities and by restating your goals every week this will hopefully
improve your eating habits to help achieve your weight loss/maintenance goals whatever the level of your current blobbiness.

Thanks to Fatclimber for doing the last couple of weeks.

Link to last week's (11) thread:
www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=581565

Apologies to UKC Fit Club for the shameful plagiarism in this thread!

practicallypixie - 3 lb loss due to the great outdoors. Thne back up a bit.
Sleepy_trucker - off the smokes (not always good for the waistline, but who cares, bigger picture). Froggatt is awesome!
Fatclimber - house restoration, bad, Sardinia good (hopefully).
Exile - same weight, but motivation still there.
Dick, Still a Fat B - the hordes are noticing the weight loss. Nice! Wish I felt up to doing E3 5c.
VS4b - stuff the scales; if others see the difference then it's surely there.
waterbaby - more training; the results will come I'm sure.
AndrewW - stuffed himself silly, but little booze so status quo maintained. Also under attack for perverted tendencies. Damn those boulders.

Fin.
In reply to AndrewW:

Thanks again for keeping this going.

Will do better on the food this week. It seems as soon as work gets stressful I just eat and eat till the stress goes away....
Andy Gamisou 24 Mar 2014
In reply to practicallypixie:

Maybe you can wean yourself onto something else when stressed? I'm sure you will have tried this but thought I'd say anyway. I generally resort to a tipple and have tried to wean myself off that habit with little sucess so far, so know it can be hard.
In reply to AndrewW:
I'm going to start going for runs at lunchtime - usually kills my appetite until it is time to eat something "proper" (i.e. not chocolate/haribo/crisps!)
Post edited at 08:41
 VS4b 24 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Thanks for keeping this going, its very helpful!

After last weeks plateau things are better. I had a much easier week training wise, only cycling 80miles, which felt like skiving off but I probably needed, I can certainly the increase in my speed from the last month or so of higher miles. Next weekend I’ll be off to Nidderdale for the sportive I’ve been targeting my weight loss for, lots and lots of hills; gulp!

On the weight front this week I have lost 2.5 lbs and now reached the target I’d set on 7th Jan of losing 20lbs to take me to 250lbs by the end of March. Having found the process both enjoyable and not as difficult as I expected (suppose cycling 100miles a week is helping!) and with plenty more weight to lose, I’ve decided to press on a do some more. Given that I seem to work through targets I’ll have a go for 240 for the end of June, which at about a pound a week feels doable. Oh yeah, I have also entered a 300km ride at the end of April to keep me focussed, or maybe just keep me scared into carrying on with the training!
 Sleepy_trucker 24 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

As p.p. said, thanks for keeping these going, well done to everyone for not giving up.

New scales so difficult to judge if I've lost/gained anything (the old ones were missing a foot). But, I like gadgets and can now tell you alsorts!

11st 5.6lbs

57.9% water

15.5 % fat

42.7% muscle

Though I don't get why I'm more than 100%!

Anyway, think I'll stick with just the weight rather than bore you all each week.

No climbing at all this week, been busy with car troubles (which may be ongoing for a few weeks). Still off the ciggies, it's gradually getting easier now thankfully. Wednesday marks three weeks Still need to lay off the booze though.

Overall, I think the weight's unchanged but I'm looking slightly more toned and feel better too - the ciggies just seemed to suck the life and enthusiasm out of me.
 waterbaby 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Sleepy_trucker:

Like my scales But you are not fat! What are you doing here? My fat is double yours and some.
 waterbaby 24 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

I'm well chuffed today, 1.2kg (2.6lbs) this week. That's 10lbs in 4 Weeks!

I did a 13 mile walk on Friday, followed by a mile swim. I've continues with the Kettlebells at 12kg. I've eaten cake and drunk way too much wine, so I'll try to reduce the wine next week.
 Exile 24 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Still the same weight, (11st 9lb.) Have good days then bad days. Hoping some new strategies will get me down to 11st 7lb, or on the way, this week.
In reply to waterbaby:

Me too! I'm 35% fat..oh to be 43% muscle!
 Sleepy_trucker 24 Mar 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

Sitting on me arris 10-12hrs each night driving's not doing me much good, need to keep the belly under control but have the willpower of a watery custard - and you guys are helping enormously, despite me only losing 2lbs since I started.

Ten years ago, I weighed 10st 4lbs and was the same height. I guess some of that stone of difference is muscle but obviously not all so, why not try to lose a bit?

Saying that though, I hope I don't come across as though I'm boasting or making anyone feel bad - I hadn't thought about it, I'll keep it to weight up/down from here.
Andy Gamisou 24 Mar 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

> I'm well chuffed today, 1.2kg (2.6lbs) this week. That's 10lbs in 4 Weeks!

Well done!

It doesn't make me feel bad. And women hold more fat anyway. Plus I'm sure at least 50% of my body fat is in my breasts (....not sure my sense of humour works when written down!)
 Fatclimber 24 Mar 2014

I can't think of any reply that won't get me into trouble.
 VS4b 24 Mar 2014

i think we'd need a photo to comment

sleepy - i dont think it matters what you weigh, each of us has our own challenges whether at 10st or 20st. although 42% muscle sounds good.
In reply to VS4b:

Let's just leave this line of conversation!

That said, I almost think body fat % is more important than weight. My weight is at the upper end of ok for my height....but my body fat % is not.

Sleepy_trucker's is enviable for me, but that doesn't mean its his optimum.

On that note....which scales do you have sleepy/waterbaby?
 MischaHY 25 Mar 2014

You're right, it is. Muscle weight is fine, high body fat percentage is a big warning sign.
In reply to AndrewW:

14st 1 today ( -10 pounds)
starting to feel the difference.
Flashed every route I tried at the climbing wall last night, ( must try some harder routes!)
Also did my first leading for over 10 years ( though indoor)
Read Jerry Moffat's Revelations last week, found it very motivating.
Now reading Jules Lynes book which is just plain scary ( He solo's everything).

Thank you.
 Fatclimber 25 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

As I am not making any attempt to lose weight at the moment I can see the pounds piling back on. This is worth noting as it proves the point to attain and keep my goal weight a lifestyle change is required. I am still % kilos lower than I was in January so I have achived something and I will pick things up again when I return from Sardinia.

Well done to all those who are keeping going.
 waterbaby 25 Mar 2014

> On that note....which scales do you have sleepy/waterbaby?

My scales are Salter Bodywise, sold by Argos.

waterbaby 25 Mar 2014
> Saying that though, I hope I don't come across as though I'm boasting or making anyone feel bad - I hadn't thought about it, I'll keep it to weight up/down from here.

I was actually trying to boost your confidence with my comment not trying to get rid of you

I'm just jealous because I'd be an unattractive stick if I was 15% fat. Sadly, for women after childbirth, losing fat can have terrible consequences to the appearance of their stomachs!

I have a wardrobe full of clothes I can't get in and I'm a tight git, so I'm not buying more.

Sleepy_trucker 26 Mar 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

thankyou

My scale's a salter too but I dunno what model. I'm not convinced the measurements of body fat etc are very accurate especially seeing as mine add up to more than 100%

You're all putting me to shame so far. Like the school reports said; must try harder! I need to get into the habit of doing some sort of regular routine I think, and ease off the booze (still haven't managed that but maybe one bad habit at a time's not such a bad thing).

I'm going to buy some anyway....interested to see how much I can get my body fat % down.

Had a mid week pound loss..9st 13lb. Think due to lots of exercise rather than diet improvement though!
 Sleepy_trucker 26 Mar 2014

Congratulations! You were saying you'd like to drop below. 10st weren't you?

Yes - just hope I can keep it there. A year ago I was 9st 3lb....would like to get back to that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...