UKC

vauxhall combo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi everyone,

Currently looking to buy a new car or van but having a tough time deciding between the two. Does anyone have any experience driving a vauxhall combo or similar van, seem to be plenty around newish with low mileage at a good price, the crew van would suit with 5 seats and the 55mpg it reckons. Just curious how it is to drive daily as some friends vans can be very rattly and feel very boxy especially with a 30 mile commute every day.
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

I use them daily at work (postie) and while they're no VW caddy they're a pretty decent van. Ours are the 1.3cdti and they're actually quite nippy and hold the road very well for a van, no surprise handling and stick to road.

Weak spots are the gear selector mechanism onto the box itself and alternators seem to go, although that's not really a problem solely on the combos.

Long n short of it, I'd seriously consider one for a climbing van. Just get the 1.7cdti and it'll be a very competent van
andymac 23 Mar 2014

Remember having one when I worked for a company.

Thought it was horrendous.

Handled like a pig ,compared to the Astra van I owned myself
 Adam Lincoln 23 Mar 2014

Got them at work. 1.7 is very nippy indeed! Turning circle is horrendous... Other than that seem ok.
 Robmwatt 23 Mar 2014

Good van, depending on age though as the model changed two years ago. The latest incarnation is a fiat and tbh not as good as the privous model !
If a postman recommends it and it meets the daily requirement of the Royal Mail then should be fine, as they do test them to distruction . ........
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:

Torn between the combo or a Toyota rav4 but the good mpg and extra room sways me towards the combo but the rav 4 has many more like more comfortable, aircon, satnav but is crap mpg from what I've heard

I had one for a couple of years and it was a great motor; if the rear loading bay had been about four inches longer, I could have slept properly in it and would probably have kept it. I bought it for very little and sold it cheap to a mate, but in the interim it owed me nothing. You can get MASSES in the back.

Couple of points:

The crew vans come with solid panel side doors, but it's not a biggie to buy tinted side windows. You can virtually pop the top door panels out and fit the windows. Better for the kids, perhaps. I was on the verge of doing this when I sold it (I bought a camper van).

There's a problem with sensors on the air intake which cause the engine to top out suddenly and refuse to go any faster, particularly when accelerating hard. It's an obvious problem to spot - at about 55mph, it just plateaus very suddenly. A few folk have spent big money over the years trying to trace the problem, but now that it's recognised, it's easy to fix. You can buy a decent manual off ebay, I think it was about four quid for a CD, and the parts aren't expensive. Not everyone is aware, though, and sometimes vans with the fault are sold off cheap because the owners think it's a bigger issue than it is. (It happened to me, and was easy to sort)

Third thing is that they often come equipped with high load, commercial tyres which are expensive, and which some tyre outlets are wary of mixing with ordinary tyres. Some aren't - and I had three to replace, so just put four ordinary tyres on and solved the issue.

I'd definitely buy another

Martin

> Torn between the combo or a Toyota rav4

Hairdresser.

Robmwatt 23 Mar 2014
In reply to maisie:

Also, depending who owned the vehicle before, it could actually be speed limited to 70mph or lower
The Royal Mail ones would be, but they should re flash the ECU when they sell it .
In reply to jasper11:

That's true - although I've driven speed limited vehicles at work before, and they just seemed to glide to a plateau. This is more of an abrupt cut-off to the acceleration, and almost like a sudden dab on the brakes.

Anyhow, more of just a heads up - it's a simple issue when you recognise it for what it is, and it could even get you a bargain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...