/ High Performance, Low Volume Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
adamre12 - on 24 Mar 2014
I have skinny feet, and have difficulty finding good fitting shoes.

I have recently worn out my Evolve Defy Lace-ups, these shoes were good for me due to their narrow profile and low volume but were too flexible and slipper like (especially for hard slate routes!).

I want to get some shoes that a bit more specialized, higher performance.
Aside from trying on every shoe in the market, I don't know where to start.

Can anyone suggest some shoes for me?
crayefish - on 24 Mar 2014
In reply to adamre12:

I would have thought that skinny feet would be better! As a very wide footed oaf, I have found I am quite limited in range of semi-performance shoes that fit.

Can't recommend anything as a result, but personally I think you can't beat going to a good shop and simply trying all the shoes the guy thinks would be right for your foot shape! At the end of the day, only you are best placed to know once you try them.

I too have asked for ideas for shoes but in the end I just go and try a bunch. I think I tried 13 pairs of shoes last time (including different sizes).
mkean - on 24 Mar 2014
In reply to adamre12:

I haven't tried the defy lace ups but if they are anything like the velcro I wouldn't describe them as narrow or low volume :-) You could start with a list of shoes that I can't get my feet into if you want some narrow shoes:

Anasazi blancos
Any downturned 5.10s

Ones to steer clear of because they fit my fat feet:
Pontas 2
Gesheido (Spelling?)
Matadors
5.10 greens, anasazi velcro or Galileo
ctodd - on 24 Mar 2014
In reply to adamre12:

i have the same problem - very narrow/low volume feet.

the best shoes i've found have been sportiva katana (velcro and lace) - haven't tried the female version - was thinking about it though as probably lower volume etc. the other shoes i've found ok are fiveten blancos - good width, but more volume in the upper than the sportiva...

chris.
999thAndy on 24 Mar 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> I would have thought that skinny feet would be better! [...]

Not so. If you've got fat feet, you can always slacken your boots off a bit. If you've got narrow feet you can only tighten the boots up so far. Climbing shoes are getting wider and wider, presumably so the makers can get more of any given population into their shoes. Annoyingly they could move the lace holes further apart (to get them to do up tighter) but they don't (same argument applies for velcro)
crayefish - on 24 Mar 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

> Not so. If you've got fat feet, you can always slacken your boots off a bit. If you've got narrow feet you can only tighten the boots up so far. Climbing shoes are getting wider and wider, presumably so the makers can get more of any given population into their shoes. Annoyingly they could move the lace holes further apart (to get them to do up tighter) but they don't (same argument applies for velcro)

That is true for the upper laced part, yes. But I find that in 'normal' or low volume shoes the problem is not the fact I can't slacken off the laces, but in two regions in particular... the base (which is rubber and thus can't be opened out) and the width of the toe region. The latter in particular I find is the biggest problem and no amount of slackening off of laces can solve that.
In reply to mkean:

OK thanks I'll look into them. Are Geshido's wider? from browsing th e web i have read that they suit low volume feet

Cheers,
In reply to ctodd:

I've not tried katanas but my mate swears by them, although he has massive feet. Trying on a pair of Muiras they seemd to fit ok.

Female shoes would be ideal but they rarely come in a UK size 9

cheers,

adam
In reply to crayefish:

You would think but standing on tiny edges, i climb a lot of slate, the shows that are a bit baggy tend to twist round the foot! I will have to go round all the local shops, of which there are only 3.

Andreia baldrini seem to be fairly good but with a heafty price
In reply to crayefish:

It would be nice if shoe manufacturers made more sshoes specific for foot size, and mention which are better suited for narrow/wide feet. I know evolve does this on their website, but the only narrow shoes they do are defy vc and defy lace.
McKEuan - on 24 Mar 2014
In reply to adamre12:

If you're secure with your sexuality the anasazi pinks are a good low volume shoe, Sportiva Muira vs are also a good shoe for dainty feet!
mkean - on 25 Mar 2014
In reply to adamre12:

I've just brought a pair of Geshido velcros and they seem to fit so I am not sure! A lot of web reviews seem to confuse volume and width which aren't really the same thing. The Geshido seems to have a flatter toe box than Evolvs other downturned shoes. That said they aren't all day comfy :-)
patsaunders - on 25 Mar 2014
In reply to adamre12:

The Tenaya Masai are great for narrow feet, the best fitting shoe I've found for my narrow feet and great performance and a good price. They're similar to 5.10 blanco but a lot more comfy.
PPP - on 25 Mar 2014
In reply to adamre12:

Try 5.10 Dragons. They should fit, I guess.
adamre12 - on 25 Mar 2014
In reply to McKEuan:

haha ill check them out cheers
adamre12 - on 25 Mar 2014
In reply to mkean:

I see what youy mean i probably confuse the terms myself.
galpinos - on 25 Mar 2014
In reply to ctodd:

> (In reply to adamre12)
>
> i have the same problem - very narrow/low volume feet.
>
> the best shoes i've found have been sportiva katana (velcro and lace)

The Katana velcro are very wide, not great if you're after a slim boot, far wider than anasazi velcros.

5.10 - I'd say white's if you can find them, pinks if not.

No idea on other brands.
Post edited at 14:13
And Climb on 26 Mar 2014
In reply to adamre12:

Scarpa's come up wide and fit me great so don't get them . In my experience five-tens have been the worst for me in terms of width so they should fit you just fine. After wrestling on a pair of anasazi velcros 2 sizes down I found that the padding on the top of the foot barely overlaps if at all.

If you fancy sportiva's then the lace up miura's are wider than the velcro's. The laceup katana's are definitely narrower than their velcro counter part.
wert - on 26 Mar 2014
In reply to adamre12:

I've got slim feet & use five ten Anasazi LV ( the teal coloured ones). Banana Fingers have UK size 8.5. I find as they stretch I can do the Velcro up tighter. Any lace ups I've tried only last a month or so then I can't tighten them any more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.