UKC

bruised coccyx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 24 Mar 2014
Could incorrect saddle / saddle position or bike set up contribute to a bruised coccyx ? MrsD has started training for slightly longer rides and is complaining of a bruised coccyx - it may be a coincidence and its caused by something else but its hard to tell.
 Dax H 24 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Yes it could but if she has actually bruised it she would not be complaining.
She would be in agony and unable to walk.
I thought I had broken mine due to the level of excruciating pain but it was "only bruised"
Slugain Howff 24 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:
My daughter was complaining about a bruised coccyx recently but had no recollection of injuring it. Turns out it was a pilonidal cyst grumbling away and she had to undergo surgery.
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/pilondial-cyst
Post edited at 14:31
OP GrahamD 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Slugain Howff:

Interesting ! symptoms aren't there but worth keeping an eye on
 climbingpixie 24 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

What mileage was she doing before and what has she increased it to? Could it be simple 'buttache' from more time in the saddle than she's used to? I feel a bit bruised after being out yesterday on a 70 mile ride despite having done 100+ mile days on the same set up last year - my bum's just forgotten what it's like to be on a bike for long periods.

What kind of saddle has she got? I have a fairly hard women's specific saddle - more painful to get used to when you're upping your mileage but ultimately more comfortable once you're used to it. Also, does she have good comfortable padded shorts?

That said, a bike fit is well worth the money if she's not comfortable. I got one last year and it felt like I'd bought a new bike! Saddle height, angle and position all make a difference, as does bar height, stem length etc. Being in the wrong position on the bike has a knock on effect all over your body so if she's keen to spend more time in the saddle it's worth looking into.
OP GrahamD 24 Mar 2014
In reply to climbingpixie:

She's pretty specific its coccyx and not just a sore bum ! I was wondering whether this is a common cycling affliction or its some other injury from something unrelated.

She has been out regularly on a road bike for 4 years or so and her current bike for 3 years (without it being tweaked in that time). Its a Defy Composite with whatever the Giant Ladies saddle that comes with that is.

She has definitely 'upped' the mileage on single rides this year - in prep for a 100 miler in 2 weeks time - but probably not total weekly mileage (weather etc. over winter).

climbingpixie 24 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> She's pretty specific its coccyx and not just a sore bum !

Yeah, sorry, I was thinking about sit bones rather than coccyx. I'm struggling to think of anything bike related that would cause pain the coccyx (other than falling off!) as it's not normally an area which has any pressure on the bike.
astley007 24 Mar 2014
In reply to climbingpixie:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/coccydinia/Pages/Causes.aspx
Very difficult to diagnose the cause of the problem
Have you a family?
Hope this helps? otherwise its no cycling and anti-inflamatories for a while and start to build up the milage again.
Cheers
Nick B

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...