UKC

Rope length for Riglos - Los Bicepts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Goldsmith 24 Mar 2014
For anyone whos been to riglos,

Would you say it makes life much easier to take 2 60m half rope, or are most of the good routes doable on a single 70m?

Been trying to work it out from photos, but there seems to be a real mix of singles and doubles...

Cheers!
In reply to Will Goldsmith:

We didn't do Biceps when we went but we only took 60s and they were fine for the routes we did but I think we could have got away with 50s. I think 70 would be even more faff.
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Singles or doubles?
 Enty 24 Mar 2014

I think the answer to this question depends on whether you need the safety option of bailing off the route if something goes wrong

E

We took both with on the trip as we were going to Roddellar too but on La Visera crag we used doubles. YOu can walk off the top of La Visera easy enough so didn't factor in abbing off unless we needed to.
 Bristoldave 24 Mar 2014
Did biceps with a 60m sport rope- was fine. Strung some pitches at the start but think a 50 would probably work otherwise. Backing off would have involved single bolt abseils I guess. Some of the other routes might not be as well bolted however, and I wonder if doubles might help if you're doing a lot of climbing in riglos. Hope you're good and have a great trip.
Post edited at 16:09
 Alun 24 Mar 2014

If you are planning on doing routes on La Visera (e.g. Biceps) then bear in mind that you pretty much can't retreat after pitch 3 or 4 because it is so steep, and the walk off is straightforward (if a little long!), so doubles are not really required. I think when I did Biceps we took a single 70m, which was more than long enough.

That said, if you're staying for a while, doubles would probably come in useful elsewhere. It depends on whether your trip objective is 'just' Riglos, or you want to combine it with more sport climbing elsewhere.
 Dan Arkle 24 Mar 2014
 SteveSBlake 25 Mar 2014

I did it a couple of years ago on a single 60. Getting off the very steep pitches would/could be a difficult due to their steepness. Best to have an idea of what what to do in that eventuality before hand.

That said once on the steep stuff you aren't far from the top and should be able to get up it.

You walk off the back of Biceps, but lots of other routes have an absiel descent, so if you plan to do more (you probably should) then a twin may be the most effective (we took both).

It is amazing.

Have fun.

Steve
 Ally Smith 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> 60m single is ideal, 50 or 70 ok.

Dan - your memory might be getting fuzzy - we had an 80m rope with us that came rather in handy ab'ing off El Pison in the dark...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...