UKC

Calpe and the Costa Blanca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 24 Mar 2014
After much faffing and changing of minds on potential destinations it looks like the Costa Blanca is coming out as a potential winner partly due to some spectacularly cheap package deals.
One minor fly in the ointment is the cost of car parking near the hotels which works out to almost as much as an extra 50% on the accommodation, so can you access a reasonable amount of climbing from Calpe without a car or does the extra hassle outweigh the savings? Any additional info on the area or recommendations would be great.

cheers

Mike

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

A car is almost essential to get the most out of the area, unless you want to climb on the PenĂ²n every day.
Why on earth would you pay to park you car - never come across that in many visits to Calpe with all kinds of accommodation - park it on the street if need be!

Chris
 Ander 24 Mar 2014

Cost of parking? It's been a few years since I went last, but I don't remember paying anything for parking in Calpe except in the old town... though I suppose it depends where you're hoping to park. I had no problem parking outside my hotel.

I did get fined when parking in the town centre itself, and it was a bit of a larf trying to pay the fine (it's actually dead easy in the nearest parking meter, where you simply pay for parking if it's on the day of the incident itself).

Thinking about it, I seem to remember the hotel issuing me with a parking permit, though I might be imagining this. Make an enquiry to the hotel.

You can climb in Calpe itself, on an outstanding piece of rock. I guess it depends on what king of lcimbing you're after and how long you're going for.

http://www.rockfax.com/databases/results_crag.html?id=247

You might be able to catch a bus to within walking distance of Sierra de Toix.

And I'm not au fait with this crag, but it seems to be near Calpe
http://www.rockfax.com/databases/results_crag.html?id=882

I'd take a car, myself, as I'd want to sample a range of crags- though if it's only a short trip, you could just do some ace routes on the Penon.
 Iain_L_32 24 Mar 2014

Hi,

We were in calpe this February and found there was plenty of parking for free on the street. We were stopping closer to the levante beach were there seemed to be more free parking. It was only in the town centre where it seemed u needed to pay.
OP Reach>Talent 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Well to be honest I'd have probably parked/abandoned it vaguely near the hotel but wasn't sure as I had assumed that the astronomic parking charges sort of suggested they had a captive market
 Mark Eddy 24 Mar 2014

Never had to pay for parking near the hotels in Calpe. You'll definitely benefit from having a car during your stay, there's so many brilliant areas to visit.
It shouldn't cost you anything. We stayed in Calpe last week near the Penon and there is loads of free car parking.
Calpe is a very good base. If you want any other advice let me know.

And you definitely need a car........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...