UKC

The Resurrection

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Shaunmash 24 Mar 2014
Anyone in the know willing to guess if The Resurection would be worth a go on Wednesday or Thursday?

Easterly winds, with a gentle thaw freeze tomorrow and Wednesday, could be worth a shot?
Shaunmash 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:

bump
 DaveHK 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:
I don't know about the ice pitch start, it takes a bit to form but the rest of it will most likely be doable. All it needs is stable snow.

If you just want a mountaineering day it's well worthwhile and only grade 2 without the ice pitch.
Post edited at 09:41
 Jamie B 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:

In theory worth a punt, as Dave says I'd expect most of the route to be there. The far bigger issue would be windslab and cornices.
 Lone Rider 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:

Check the crag page for the newer routes might be in when Resurrection isn't. From previous visits this has been the case. Th epicture of the Gelid Grooves face was takenin lean conditions.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3311
Shaunmash 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

Thank you for your replies. I was thinking that the east winds might scour the face and leave it stable?

Has anyone done this or anything else in the North recently? Penguin Gully?
 juggins 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:
Was over in Ullapool this morning, quite warm about 10 degrees at Loch Droma. Plenty of snow on the resurrection face but the ice fall start does not look like it is there. Will need a good freeze for routes around there to be in good condition. Looks like plenty of snow on Benin Dearg but probably all melting

PAJames 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:

Some pictures of mountains (Sgurr Mor, Resurrection included) in the north-west taken yesterday here - http://pjmountains.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/24-03-14-north-west-highlands.htm... . Looked white, was blowy, could be plenty of wind slab present!?
 Sherlock 26 Mar 2014
In reply to PAJames:

Ullapool was warm and breezy yesterday & very warm and windless today.HTH.
Shaunmash 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Sherlock:

Thanks. Colder temperatures tomorrow with clearing skies, hoping the face will have turned to neve? Not expecting the bottom icefall to be there, I gather the route can be done as an easier climb by diverting around it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...