UKC

Helsport - Hilleberg Alternative?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rob514 25 Mar 2014
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Helsport tents? I'm looking for a three man, something that could pitch outer first and with a large vestibule (probably some sort of tunnel). As much as Id love to be able to stump up the cash to buy a Hilleberg Nammatj 2 or 3 GT I just really cannot justify spending that much. After a bit of internet searching I came across Helsport. Has anyone got one of their tents? There doesnt seem to be many people in the UK selling them. Is this for good reason?

I was look at the Fjellhelmen 3 Camp anyone got any wise words? On the flip to that if anyone wants to sell me a cheap second hand Hilleberg GT this might be a better option.

Cheers! Rob
 TobyA 25 Mar 2014
In reply to rob514:

They are Norwegian so you see plenty here in Scandinavia. I've not used any of their tents but they look decent and people use them winter ski touring in the Arctic so I would imagine they can't be terrible.
 Hannes 25 Mar 2014
In reply to rob514:

They are decent tents and more cost efficient than hillebergs. They are however not as good imo, hillebergs tents are more refined. This is the reason I would have thought they aren't sold over here, they don't offer something extra over tents already on the market.

Tunnel tents pitched outer first are a fantastic invention though and if you can't justify a hillebergs then I would say the helsports will offer you probably 90% of the tent at a lower price.
 mark burley 29 Mar 2014
In reply to rob514:

I have a heliport laavu and it is indeed great. I looked at a large tunnel tent of theirs and was impressed. Is it as good as Hilleberg? I am not sure I could judge. I also have a Namatj 3 gt so know them pretty well. The people at Tamarack are very helpful and may give discount if asked. Give them a call.
 Damo 29 Mar 2014
In reply to rob514:

I've seen Helsports used on Antarctic expeditions and on Denali, they seem very good.

Macpac Olympus and Minaret are decent tunnel style alternatives, cheaper than Hilleberg but not as good or as light, size for size.
 Nordie_matt 29 Mar 2014
In reply to rob514:

I have a fjellheimen 3 tent and really rate it. It's a good size for 2 + kit inside or 3 adults. Reasonably Lightweight, and I found the pole length slightly shorter than others when folded up. All in all I really rate helsport as one of the underrated Scandinavian brands. I am buying one of their lavvos for the coming summer
needvert 29 Mar 2014
In reply to Damo:

> Macpac Olympus and Minaret are decent tunnel style alternatives, cheaper than Hilleberg but not as good or as light, size for size.

Interesting. So, in my neck of the woods Macpac tents are quite expensive at their regular prices. Hilleberg is unheard of, and buying them is done through hilleberg.com.

Translating everything to GBP and arbitrarily guessing 55USD additional for an international courier for the Hilleberg...

Buying a Macpac Olympus at regular retail prices would be around 500.
Buying a Hilleberg Kaitum 2 (looks to be a similar design, though lighter) with postage would be around 540.

Bombproof 2 man tent wise...
Buying a Macpac Plateau would be around 610.
Buying a Hilleberg Tarra would be around 615.

Having said that theres a 30% off mountain tents sale at the regional Macpac site here. Hilleberg, on the other hand, I've never seen on sale.

Damo 29 Mar 2014
In reply to needvert:

> Having said that theres a 30% off mountain tents sale at the regional Macpac site here. Hilleberg, on the other hand, I've never seen on sale.

Yes, I was assuming you got the Macpacs on their regular 40% 'sales'. They're not worth it at full price.

Yes, Hillebergs are almost never on sale. I haven't checked the prices through Hilleberg direct but John at Paddy Pallin at Jindabyne is importing them directly and as of 18 months ago his prices were pretty good.
 mark burley 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Nordie_matt:
You will love the laavu, I have the one with doorway extension and that was really worth it IMO
 Nordie_matt 04 Apr 2014
In reply to mark burley:

Yeah I can't wait to get it, room for the wife, kids and the husky with bouldering mats for seating
 PeterM 04 Apr 2014
In reply to rob514:

Also look at Nordisk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...