UKC

“Vorsprung durch Technik.”

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Mar 2014
Warrenty Direct - least reliable engines based on claims - interesting!

Manufacturer Failure Rate
1 MG Rover 1 in 13
2 Audi 1 in 27
3 MINI 1 in 40
4 Saab 1 in 40
5 Vauxhall 1 in 41
6 Peugeot 1 in 44
7 BMW 1 in 45
8 Renault 1 in 46
9 Volkswagen 1 in 52
10 Mitsubishi 1 in 59

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

But how many had Arnold Clark stickers on the back?
 Mike Stretford 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs: I'd like to know 'instrument Cluster'/dashboard failure rate too..... as that seems to be as much hassle/expense as engine failure.

Rob Exile Ward 25 Mar 2014

Where's my skoda - off the scale??!
 Timmd 25 Mar 2014
Buy VW rather than Audi it seems.

Or Mitsubishi.
Post edited at 11:58
 ByEek 25 Mar 2014

Can you take any conclusions from this though? How old were the cars and what sort of people use Warranty Direct? Is this the 3 month Warranty you get when buying a car from a dodgy used car dealer down an alleyway?
 Mike Stretford 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Where's my skoda - off the scale??!

The expense of replacing a Skoda 'instrument cluster' is off the scale! (actually it is a VW part, but still)
 LucaC 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

From personal experience vw is 0/4 and Renault is 1/1. Damming!
 PeterM 25 Mar 2014

Surprised at the Audi's being a problem. No's 1 and 3 however, Mum's Rover 75 auto and Bro's Mini Cooper - both quite shite really!
 JamButty 25 Mar 2014

Skoda / VW / Audi. Pretty much the same engines I believe, but the Audi is twice as bad as VW- hmmm...
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Where's my skoda - off the scale??!

Not at the other end - so in the middle somewhere:

1 Honda 1 in 344
2 Toyota 1 in 171
3 Mercedes-Benz 1 in 119
4 Volvo 1 in 111
5 Jaguar 1 in 103
6 Lexus 1 in 101
7 Fiat 1 in 85
8 Ford 1 in 80
9 Nissan 1 in 76
10 Land Rover 1 in 72

Chris
 wercat 25 Mar 2014

IIRC the Nissan Almera original version had the highest reliability rating if you want to drive Victor Meldrew's wheels ....
In reply to wercat:

> IIRC the Nissan Almera original version had the highest reliability rating if you want to drive Victor Meldrew's wheels ....

The only engine failure I have had in 40 years of driving was a Nissan, about 20 years ago, - burnt valves. Not had another since!

Chris
 GrahamD 25 Mar 2014

Probably just a reflection on the sort of Audi driving nob you see gunning down the motorway these days. Almost completely displaced the beemer for idiot car of choice.
 jshields 25 Mar 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Perhaps they are just fussier and have more claims?
Jon
 Blue Straggler 25 Mar 2014

>

> 1 MG Rover 1 in 13

> 7 BMW 1 in 45

My MG has a back-to-front BMW engine in it...
 jshields 25 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> Probably just a reflection on the sort of Audi driving nob you see gunning down the motorway these days. Almost completely displaced the beemer for idiot car of choice.

Thanks, I will be sure to wave when I pass you!
Jon
 woolsack 25 Mar 2014
In reply to jshields:

> Thanks, I will be sure to wave when I pass you!

> Jon

If you have a hand free between your bagel and mobile phone?
 GrahamD 25 Mar 2014
In reply to jshields:

You may or may not be one of the nobs - but Audi right now does seem to attract a disproportionate number of them.
 jshields 25 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Tend to be very popular company cars, as the residual values are high.
 jshields 25 Mar 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> If you have a hand free between your bagel and mobile phone?

Good point, don't want to spill the latte.

LastBoyScout 25 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> Probably just a reflection on the sort of Audi driving nob you see gunning down the motorway these days. Almost completely displaced the beemer for idiot car of choice.

Probably just a reflection on the sort of sweeping generalisation you see from nobs on forums. Almost completely displaced religion for idiot comment of choice.
 jshields 25 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> You may or may not be one of the nobs - but Audi right now does seem to attract a disproportionate number of them.

No Graham, fair point, I often drive like a nob, but I am sure there are plenty of Audi drivers that don't!
 Shapeshifter 25 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

As a former Audi driving nob, I think you'll find it's spelt with a 'k' dear boy. More Pâté anybody?
 wercat 25 Mar 2014

I had an old Almera for a while, not the best car I ever had but it never, never, never let me down and did everything I asked of it without fuss!
 PeterM 25 Mar 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Probably just a reflection on the sort of sweeping generalisation you see from nobs on forums. Almost completely displaced religion for idiot comment of choice.

- Was your sense of humour part of the trade in when you got yours?
 MikeSP 25 Mar 2014

For those of you that are interested:
http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/press269.html

I wouldn't read too much into it, there is no info on the severity/cost of the failure, age/use of the vehicle.
Sounds like marketing waffle to me.
 The New NickB 25 Mar 2014

> Probably just a reflection on the sort of sweeping generalisation you see from nobs on forums. Almost completely displaced religion for idiot comment of choice.

You have just bought an AUDI haven't you?!

It is a long time since the AUDI advertising campaign that celebrated the fact that they did not attract the clichéd BMW driver type, they have since then actively and successfully targeted that market. It is certainly a common observation that cars being driven too fast, too aggressively and too close are often AUDIs.
 Cheese Monkey 25 Mar 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

If we could ban all Audis from motorways that would be great. Or just any road actually. Nice cars, stupid drivers. In general
 Cheese Monkey 25 Mar 2014

Although hopefully they will all break down before they get a chance to kill me
 TMM 25 Mar 2014

You're right Nick, these generalisations make life so much simpler for the hard of thinking.

Let's add to your list.

Most rapes are perpetrated by men, therefore most men are rapists.

London street crime has a higher proportion of black perpetrators per head of population so therefore most black men are muggers.

I love generalisation spouted by Clarkson and then quoted ad infinitum on the internet, it makes the world a better place.
In reply to TMM:
Do you have a sensible contribution? Perhaps one that is less knee jerk and riddled with lazy assumptions.
Post edited at 14:57
 TMM 25 Mar 2014

And what's yours?

Bad driving is bad driving. Are seriously saying there are more convictions for inappropriate driving behaviour for drivers of Audi vehicles or you just repeating a lazy generalisation?
In reply to dapoy:
>

> I wouldn't read too much into it, there is no info on the severity/cost of the failure, age/use of the vehicle.

I would read into it that Warranty Direct have a lot of claims for Audi engines - how can it be 'marketing waffle? I have just crossed Audi of my list of 'next time around' cars. I have also heard that their customer service isn't too hot,

Chris
Post edited at 15:07
In reply to TMM:

My post reflects on three things.

1. The fact that in the past Audi targeted a very different market.

2. The fact that the company has successfully expanded there UK market both in terms of business use and the fast saloon market, taking major market share from BMW.

3. I own experience and the experience of others on the road, I would never knowingly agree with Clarkson.

I don't dislike either the cars or the people who buy them, but I am sure this image issue isn't entirely down to Clarkson.
 GrahamD 25 Mar 2014

> Probably just a reflection on the sort of sweeping generalisation you see from nobs on forums.

....and breathe ! I'm sure yours is a lovely Audi and you drive very carefully in it.

PeterM 25 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> ....and breathe ! I'm sure yours is a lovely Audi and you drive very carefully in it.

Unless its an A5 or R8, then no it won't be lovely. Other than those two all other Audis are the automotive equivalent of a coma to look at. That's not a sweeping generalisation either it's a fact!
 LastBoyScout 25 Mar 2014

> You have just bought an AUDI haven't you?!

We have 2, as it happens. Mine was bought more by chance than intent, though - I wanted a Jaguar or Volvo, but couldn't find one that fitted my requirements and the Audi did.

Dave Garnett 25 Mar 2014
In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
>
> [...]
>
> Unless its an A5 or R8, then no it won't be lovely. Other than those two all other Audis are the automotive equivalent of a coma to look at. That's not a sweeping generalisation either it's a fact!

I have an A3 and it is lovely. That's not a fact though, just a specific opinion...
 MikeSP 25 Mar 2014
> I would read into it that Warranty Direct have a lot of claims for Audi engines
True but how many Audis do they cover? Is it the same number as the other manufacturers? If not has it been normalised?
As Audis are popular fleet cars what's the mileage? Have they been driven by someone that will get a new car in 2 years and doesn't care about the longevity of the vehicle?
Is a 'failure' a large mechanical one or a cheap sensor, ie does brand x suffer from a temperature sensor failure and brand y suffer from a big end failure.
Without more info you can't tell from the page.

PS I don't work for Audi

Edit, it looks like it is normalised on the car park numbers
Post edited at 16:02
 PeterM 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I hope you're driving it properly? More Audi facts...
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/audis-still-britains-favourite-c...
In reply to GrahamD:

Agreed. I have an A6 and I'm quite looking forward to getting rid. most Audi drivers seem like complete ass-wipes.

Offwidth 25 Mar 2014

Just shows there is an exception to every rule...nice man drives audi .... who would have thought it. Or are you a Jeckll and Hyde?
 jshields 25 Mar 2014
In reply to TMM:

> You're right Nick, these generalisations make life so much simpler for the hard of thinking.

> Let's add to your list.

> Most rapes are perpetrated by men, therefore most men are rapists.

> London street crime has a higher proportion of black perpetrators per head of population so therefore most black men are muggers.

> I love generalisation spouted by Clarkson and then quoted ad infinitum on the internet, it makes the world a better place.

Don't forget all lorry drivers are serial killers!

jshields 25 Mar 2014
In reply to dapoy:

Fair point reg. mileage, mine will see about 30k a year.
In reply to jshields:

> Fair point reg. mileage, mine will see about 30k a year.

I assume all fleet cars are covered by an Audi warranty so wouldn't be included in these figures?

Chris
 woolsack 25 Mar 2014

Whilst we are on the subject, check this for parallel parking

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/motorist-crashes-80000-chelsea-tracto...
 Goucho 25 Mar 2014
In reply to PeterM:

> Unless its an A5 or R8, then no it won't be lovely. Other than those two all other Audis are the automotive equivalent of a coma to look at. That's not a sweeping generalisation either it's a fact!

Mrs Goucho has an RS6 Estate, and I have to agree, even that is a bit clinical and anodyne to drive - and the ride on anything other than a billiard table will rattle your fillings out, though I have to admit, it does shift like a scalded cat in a straight line.

In France, they haven't yet achieved the same status as the UK on the 'cockometer', but whenever we use her car on on trips back to the UK, I do feel the need to wear something to cover my face
 pamph 25 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>

+1
 jshields 25 Mar 2014

Hi Chris, I was just considering if there is a high proportion that are fleet and high mileage, then finding there way to the second hand market and used car warranty policies., it might be skewed.

Surprised to hear about the Almera, my wife had one 10 years and it never missed a beat.
I have always been of the opinion that Japanese cars were pretty reliable.
Jon
 Dave Garnett 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Dave Garnett)
>
> Just shows there is an exception to every rule...nice man drives audi .... who would have thought it. Or are you a Jeckll and Hyde?

I'm the soul of courteous and efficient middle class driving, obviously. Although, oddly, I often find that I don't remember much of the journey once the Dire Straits kicks in...
 marsbar 25 Mar 2014

Generalising from a sample of 1 a former boss had a failed engine issue with an audi. He should have taken notice of the oil warning light.
estivoautumnal 25 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Exactly!

In reply to jshields:

My Nissan was a sporty job (200SX or something similar) turbo-charged and rear-wheel drive. Quite nippy but saggy seats, not too much room for camping gear and very skittish in the wet!

Chris
 jshields 26 Mar 2014

Fast though, I think at the time they were the fastest production car below 2 litre. They were skittish though, my dad bent his.
 Enty 26 Mar 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> You may or may not be one of the nobs - but Audi right now does seem to attract a disproportionate number of them.

My dream is to become an Audi driving knob, particularly in one of these:

youtube.com/watch?v=lpB1yR9Sz9Y&

E
 Offwidth 26 Mar 2014

Dire Straits!? there is nice and there is 'nice'
 Dave Garnett 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

All Audis come with Brothers in Arms as standard. You can't turn it off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...