UKC

TDF 2014 Plans for spectating

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey all,
I'm really keen to watch the UK stages of the TDF but I haven't got a clue what to do about when to head up there (early in the week?) are there events/criteriums going on?), where to stay (camping near the routes?), what access will be like with road closures etc.

Anybody got any advice or willing to share their plans?
Post edited at 12:45
andyfla 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Heading up very early on the sunday into the peaks, park nearish to the route and walk up one of the hills - but prob not Holme moss as it will be 40 people deep by 10am ....
I should mention I live in derby so it is all feasible ...ish
In reply to andyfla:

I'll be heading over for the weekend, so would like to be somewhere we can see something both days. Are they putting screens up anywhere on the course?
 andy 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Double Knee Bar: My club, Ilkley CC, are organising a campsite by the river in Ilkley, and there's a big sportive the weekend before (White Rose Classic) and guided rides through the week. If I was coming up I think I'd go for either Ilkley (as you've got the town next to you) or the Rapha Festival at Broughton Hall just outside Skipton. Both are convenient for both stages - personally I'd probably go for Broughton Hall as I think your options for rides are better from Skipton (you've got the Forest of Bowland as well as the Dales nearby). You have the option of just pootling into Skipton to watch them on Day1, or else do what we're doing and ride up Wharfedale after the road closes to Kidstones (where there's a pop-up campsite - there's also one at Kilnsey). Then on Day 2 ride over Carleton Moor and over to Oxenhope and up to Cock Hill.

andy 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Double Knee Bar: Big screens in Skipton and at the Rapha festival.

Bob 25 Mar 2014
In reply to andy:

Switched back allegiances?

To the OP:

According to our man in the know (he's part of the council organising team) the route and some roads leading to the route will be shut to motorised traffic from 6am and for bikes around an hour before the caravan and riders are due to pass through. The numbers that they are planning for are pretty big: up to 250,000 for the section through Craven district but even if half that number turn up it will be busy - Skipton has a population of just 15,000 for example.

In addition to the sites Andy mentions in the Skipton area there are also sites at Buckden (on the route) and Bolton Abbey (a couple of miles off the route for day 1 and about half a mile from the route on day 2). I went over Holme Moss on Sunday and noticed a banner about camping there - http://www.pedalandpitch.co.uk/ the field was next to the main bends.
 woolsack 25 Mar 2014

Over to France for Le Touquet to Lille with the club
 andy 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Bob: Member of both, Bobbles - 1st claim Skipton, 2nd claim Ilkley. I think Bruce said 2hrs before the caravan, didn't he?

Removed User 25 Mar 2014

My girlfriend's sister ahas just bought a house in Holme so I will be watching it from her garden with a beer or ten.
 Bob 25 Mar 2014
In reply to andy:
For bikes? I've a feeling it varies, half an hour was mentioned by someone but perhaps not Bruce. Then again attempting to ride through several thousand tanked up fans isn't something to be taken lightly

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/28354/Grand-Dpart-2014---road-closures... simply states a minimum of eight hours.

From the same site - here's an estimate of the numbers: "It is anticipated that more than 680,000 spectators will line the route of the first stage alone,"
Post edited at 13:38
 The New NickB 25 Mar 2014

Probably somewhere near the top of the Crag Vale climb, am trying to avoid being there is some sort of official capacity.
 schloosh 25 Mar 2014

I can see just about all of the Holme Moss climb from my back garden

Just saying....
In reply to schloosh:

BBQ at yours? That's really kind of you!

Ta for that advice Bob + Andy,
 Bob 25 Mar 2014

http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-1 and click the box marked "camping"
 victorclimber 25 Mar 2014

what about a wild camp on Buttertubs area feasible or not
 Hat Dude 25 Mar 2014
In reply to victorclimber:

> what about a wild camp on Buttertubs area feasible or not

Probably be rammed with drunken dutch
In reply to victorclimber:

That'll be wild as in Glastonbury?
Bingers 28 Mar 2014

Try http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-1/allhubs

There are also numerous unofficial ones, such as Addingham (the only place the route passes through both days). There will be a big screen up at their festival, which will also show the tennis as well.

http://addingham.info/letour/
Hoppers 29 Mar 2014
Hi
Re closures, residents in the Dales have been told to expect road closures from 5am onwards, so everyone driving will have to be in situ the days before. cycling on the route will be permitted until 30mins before the main caravan starts going thru and up until after the racers go thru. looks like the main caravan starts about 2 hrs before the racers
race shedules are here
letour.yorkshire.com/timings

If you want to see a bit of both races then I guess Skipton, ilkley, Silsden, Bolton Abbey, Addingham etc sort of areas will be best. Find somewhere to base yourselves and use bikes on the route early sat/sun morning to get to a vantage point, the roads will be gridlock over the whole weekend i expect.
Post edited at 12:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...