UKC

Chest hardness from a sling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iamaclimber 25 Mar 2014
Hi

I'm taking a large person climbing who I think would benefit from additional support from a sling used as a kind of chest harness. I've seen people do this before but I don't know how they set it up. Any ideas?
 Simon4 25 Mar 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:
Parisian baudrier.

I once brought someone down from very close to the summit of Mont Blanc with this.
I once brought someone down from very close to the summit of Mont Blanc with this.

Put a sling round your left arm (or the left arm of your victim)
Loop the rest of the sling round Victim's body, finishing in front
Pass through loop around arm
Tie off in semi-figure of 8
Put screwgate krab through exposed loop

Rather less painful with old style thick sling, but will still work in a pinch with modern thin slings.
Post edited at 23:24
 Simon4 25 Mar 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

Some way down, a diagram that illustrates this :

http://people.bath.ac.uk/dac33/high/13SelfRescueSenarios2.htm
 David Coley 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Simon4:

> Parisian baudrier.

If the person if large a 120cm sling can be too small for a parisian. So you might need to extend it or use a pair of slings and the cross-over method (picture on the site point to by Simon).

I assume he/she will only be seconding?

Simon4 26 Mar 2014
In reply to David Coley:
Yes, you might need to do some improvisation from the basic technique. It is also best to practice this before needing it in anger, when I brought this person down from MB summit. Clothes will also make a difference, especially in Winter. I had to practice it (in a blizzard), on myself before I was confident to fit it to him, while my large American partner held him to stop something stupid happening. This may not have been the ideal practice environment.

Certainly not a good idea for leading, should do at a pinch for say crossing a glacier where you think there is a low but definite risk of crevasses. A lightweight harness is of course better if you have one.
Post edited at 11:31
 jon 26 Mar 2014
In reply to David Coley:

> a 120cm sling can be too small for a parisian.

I prefer a simple noose for them.

iamaclimber 26 Mar 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

Would you then clip the screwgate that brings together the slings, into the main waist harness?
add6598 26 Mar 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

No, you would tie on through both points of attachment, ie put your figure of eight in the rope, ( with a longer tail) thread through the harness as normal, then through the chest attachment. Then back to the knot and rethread your figure of eight as normal
 crayefish 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Simon4:

Useful page there! One or two things that are new to me. Thanks
 Simon4 26 Mar 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:
> Would you then clip the screwgate that brings together the slings, into the main waist harness?

Well normally you would be doing this because you don't have a harness for some reason.

You could also combine it with a Dulfer seat to make a full body harness (of sorts).
Post edited at 23:13
 Simon4 26 Mar 2014
In reply to jon:

> I prefer a simple noose for them.

You bad, bad person Jon.

In any case, if they are from Paris it should be a Guillotine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...