UKC

Y&Y Belay Glasses only 49.99£,say NO to neck pain

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
alexvivo014 26 Mar 2014
premier post photo
Y&Y Belay Glasses, originated from France, aims to provide belay glasses with best performance-price ratio to all climbers in UK. They can effectively prevent belayer’s neck and help you to concentrate more on your partners.

Y&Y focuses every detail which may influence belayers’ experience:
- High quality optical prism: BK7
- Light and resistant stainless steel frames, total weight:36g
- Flexible bows with memory alloy
- Adaptable nose pads
- Specially designed cases with carabiner to hang to your harness
- Double version with wide sight, see both your partner at the wall and your environment
- Compatibility to eyeglasses and sunglasses

Until now, almost all our clients including new clients in UK are satisfied with our products and services, so we are sure they can help you to get better belaying experience. If you are our clients, we are happy to see your feedback in your reply to this topic.

Delivery for UK with Royal mail 1st class, until the end of April, the delivery is free!

You can visit our website to get more information or place orders
http://www.yy-belayglasses.co.uk/

If you have any question, just feel free to contact us
contact@yy-belayglasses.co.uk

Murd 26 Mar 2014
In reply to alexvivo014:

I purchased a pair of these a couple of weeks ago, I have used them half dozen times or so and have been impressed. Light and comfortable with a good prism’s and peripheral view. My only concern would the durability, the arms are flexible and retain shape, but I don’t think they would survive being sat on for instance? Time will tell. Would I recommend them?… yes.
 migs493 27 Mar 2014
In reply to alexvivo014:

Just bought a pair of these glasses.The wife thinks they're brilliant. We both wear glasses and although the belay glasses don't sit perfectly they do the job. The carry case was a great bonus. Absolute bargain at this price.
 gribble 28 Mar 2014
In reply to alexvivo014:

Y&Y asked me to do a review of them, so I'll add it here. I've absolutely no connection with the firm, and I've not really used prism glasses in earnest before. Sorry it's a bit long winded, I got carried away!

My Y&Y belay glasses arrived in a box (quick postage!), I opened it without any particular expectations. I was very impressed to see a complete kit enclosed ¡V a climber-proof case that you can throw wantonly into your climbing sack, or clip to your harness with the attached small krab, a maintenance kit including alternative nose fittings (individual or one-piece), screws, mini screwdriver, lens cloth and a variety of straps. It struck me as a pretty complete kit.

The build quality of the glasses seems to be of a standard for which they were designed, that being climbing use. So far they have proved resilient to my 6 year old wearing them everywhere. As described on their website, the arms are flexible yet return to their original shape with no problems. The frame can be bent into the most comfortable fitting without any issues. The lenses themselves are very clear, though I haven¡¦t had them long enough to get a sense of how scratch resistant they are. No problems yet though. All in all, they seem well made with good quality materials
I like the fact that the lenses are quite small. They are big enough to provide very adequate sight of the lead climber, and small enough to allow vision around you at ground level. That is, except for directly in front of you. This means that you can¡¦t see your belay plate or first metre or two of rope, which may prove problematic for novice belayers. Likewise, they can be confusing when belaying a leader on the first 4 or 5 metres, as the upwards angle of the prisms does not come into play until the leader has achieved a bit of height. I found I would have them handy (pushed up onto my head, or lowered on my nose), and wear them once the leader has reached that height. This technique is also useful for belayers who like ¡¥spotting¡¦.

It takes a route or two to get used to them, but once settled we found that the quality of belaying improved as the belayer concentrates more on the leader and less on surrounding distractions e.g. other climbers. For those who wear vision impairment glasses, these do fit under the belay glasses but obviously the set up can be a bit more cumbersome. There is scope in the design of the belay glasses to accommodate other glasses underneath through minor adjustment if necessary.

When I was at the Kendal wall, they proved very useful belaying for a 25m wall. However, on shorter walls the need was not so great but still useful. I¡¦m not sure I would use them for belaying a trad leader as the shape of rock and demands of the leader are different. I also prefer to be unencumbered when I¡¦m in the big outside! They do come into their own when being used in indoor walls, and I suspect they would also have their uses with sport climbing.

In summary, it does what it says on the tin ¡V no more neck pain from belaying. This is something which has been more of an issue with advancing years. On the flipside, any belay glasses will never be the cutting edge of fashion, but this is something which has become less of an issue with those same advancing years. They are a practical and functional solution to an age old problem and certainly worth a try if you suffer from belayer¡¦s neck.

cheers
Graham
 AlH 29 Mar 2014
In reply to gribble:

Nice review Graham. I'm in the same boat with a pair to review and can endorse just about everything you said, except I have 5 year old!
I was sceptical about using them initially but they do direct your focus at the leader and work surprisingly well over my own specs.
Al
 Marq 02 Apr 2014
I have a pair to evaluate as well and Graham has given a very detailed review. Only thing I would add is that it feels like the prisms may be doing a bit of magnification as well which can help when the climber gets higher up the route.

I think they will come in handy single pitch sport climbing outside as well, particularly when the climber is working a route.

The case has been the envy of some of my friends with competitor glasses!

Marq
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 23 May 2014
In reply to alexvivo014:

Well, just thought I'd add my own review to the collection: http://jsparkesclimbing.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/review-y-belay-glasses.html
 Nick Harvey 27 May 2014
And me, I promised to write a review, which is now on my blog here: http://nickonice.blogspot.co.uk/

In short, I agree with all the above - a quality product and good value, if you think you might need them.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...