UKC

Cham routes that don't require a pass?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bradzy_c 26 Mar 2014
Hey all,

Just a quick one. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for routes that don't require a ski pass? Off to Cham 11th April till 25th April and wanted to keep it cheap as possible.

Just been looking up prices and for a 5 day non consecutive it's looking around the 200 euro mark (Mont Blanc Unlimited) so ideally would like to get that and for other days either stay up on the mountain or do a route that doesn't require a pass.

Any advice is well recieved.

Cheers!
Brad
 Mr-Cowdrey 27 Mar 2014
In reply to bradzy_c:

What kind of routes are you looking at? Ice, mixed, rock?

There are some good sport climbs in/near Cham Sud, but all of the mountain routes require a lift. I'm in Cham at the moment and the climbibg isn't looking great at the moment I'm afraid.

We did the Vallee Blanche twice yesterday and the snow is still pretty deep getting across the Col du Midi, so skis or snow shoes are a must. And the N.Face of the Tacul and Pt.Lachenal is bare black ice. The Tour Ronde is the same.

Rock might be the better option, for now anyway (if you can get to the climb) but things might improve by April. Just bear in mind the Avalanche conditions.
 Mr-Cowdrey 27 Mar 2014
In reply to bradzy_c:

Oh and also, if you're not gunna be using multiple lifts in the same day, then buying a ticket for a specific lift might work out cheaper.

I.e. Mont Blanc Unlimited is 56.50€ a day, but a return to and from the summit of the Grand Montet is about 32€. Obviously this means you can only use that one lift, but if you're doing routes and not skiing then this doesn't really matter. (Or if you are skiing, then buy a single and ski down from the summit via the runs Point du View or Pylons, if you're doing routes up there that is)

The Midi on the other hand is 55€ for a return so you're only saving 1.50€.
bradzy_c 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
Cheers for the advice.

We were hoping to get some stuff done on Tacul and ideally would like to get over to the Aguille Tour and Aguille Verte maybe obviously condition dependant.

Yeah I think the single lift idea is a good option. We want to try other places different to the midi as we have only really been up there. Obviously need the midi for the Tacul but I think that's all we have in mind for that area.

I've not really been anywhere different so don't know what conditions can look like in other places. We had in mind of using the huts and spending more time up the mountain. Like maybe the Albert premier hut and using that rather than lifts everyday. Obviously if we can get in like..

Brad
 Blinder 27 Mar 2014
In reply to bradzy_c:
While I am not in Cham at the moment (currently in Saas Fee). I am pretty sure sure skis or snow shoes are mandatory.
bradzy_c 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Blinder:

Yeah we took that as a given. Already got some snow shoes lined up.
 Ander 27 Mar 2014
In reply to bradzy_c:
> We had in mind of using the huts and spending more time up the mountain.

Does that work out cheaper than using lifts?
Or is that why you're wondering about the lifts. I've not been for 3 or 4 years, but we had a 'cartet' type lift pass, ie a certain nubmer of 'lift days' but they didn't have to be consecutive. Cheaper than buying individual passes, and better value than getting a ten day pass where you only want to use the lifts 3 days in that 10 day period.
Post edited at 10:02
 CurlyStevo 27 Mar 2014
In reply to bradzy_c:

Les Cheserys is worth a look. Mostly slightly slabby multipitch granite climbing (although it's steep enough to be pumpy still in places).
 alexm198 27 Mar 2014
In reply to bradzy_c:
Stuff on the Tour glacier (Tour, Chardonnet, Tete Blanche, Petit/Grande Fourches etc) is all accessible without using a lift. It's about a 2 hour walk (if you're fit) from the valley to the Albert Premier Hut.

As others have said though, conditions may dictate otherwise - I've only ever been in the summer.
Post edited at 10:33
bradzy_c 27 Mar 2014
In reply to bradzy_c:

Many thanks guys! Will check them out.

Brad
 Mr-Cowdrey 27 Mar 2014
In reply to bradzy_c:

The approach to the Albert Premier hut (from what I gather at the moment) is quite avalanche prone. The slopes above the summer path are 'perfect' avalanche terrain (grassy and above 30°)

When I was at La Tour last week, there was a few big slab avalanches on the slopes above the first chair. But again, use your judgement when out here and look at the Avalanche forecast. Although, there is an alternative path up to the Albert 1er but I don't it.

As for the Verte, a friend of mine was climbing near there last week and a huge serac fell above them. Oh and the Couturier couloir avalanched the other week too.

Not trying to put you off, just trying to give helpful (and hopefully safe) advice and just how it stands at the moment. But all can change by the time you're out here, so just keep an eye on the forecasts, and maybe go to the guides office when you're here.
 septic 29 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

as an aside -

It appears that the winter room of the Albert 1er is shut this year (until it opens in July?) - see http://www.chamoniarde.com/?page_id=57

ATTENTION : depuis le début d'année 2014 le local d'hiver n'est pas accessible en raison de travaux
 Morgan Woods 29 Mar 2014
In reply to bradzy_c:
Walking up the Montenvers train line isn't all that bad and opens up plenty of routes. Or a one-way is about EUR25 so you could spread that over a few days and it might be quite cheap.
Post edited at 23:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...