UKC

The new, non-optional Flickr format

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 26 Mar 2014
Well, I suppose it was inevitable, but it's finally here. The format that nobody seemed to like is forced upon us. I suppose I'll become accustomed to it with time but despite it's quirks, I much preferred the old interface.

Does anyone here think it's an improvement?
In reply to Fraser:

I don't, a complete waste of time and a pain in the arse. Flickr should be all about the photography and there was no need to change it last time, let alone this time!
Douglas Griffin 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

It's awful. No idea what they were thinking.

I barely look at Flickr these days. When I do I use http://www.flickr.com/photos/douglas_griffin/?details=1, to retain some of the old character for my photostream at least.

OP Fraser 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Douglas Griffin:
Lovely gallery! How did you set your photostream to display in that way? It's much more elegant than the generic version.

Edit: doh, is it just in the 'edit' mode?!
Post edited at 21:35
Douglas Griffin 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Thank you! I type ?details=1 at the end of the standard URL. Bookmarked that way now.
KevinD 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

its, ermm, different.
In some ways in single photo mode it aint bad. However nothing that the lightbox didnt provide and makes a lot of other stuff more difficult.

Problem with websites is there seems to be a need to continually "improve". Guess the coloured crayon brigade wants to keep earning.
 Blue Straggler 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Wow. I am indulging in some late night insomniac web browsing on a wired connection (which is sometimes flaky but fine tonight).
I saw this thread and decided to look at my own Flickr. Maybe a coincidence but I never got to flickr and subsequently my connection has been very intermittent :-/
 Blue Straggler 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Seems OK now...and I see no change since the big change of about 12 months ago. What's the change?
 ChrisJD 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

I'm new to Flickr and layout all seems good to me. I like it more than the layout with all the text about each image - don't get many photos per page.

KevinD 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Seems OK now...and I see no change since the big change of about 12 months ago. What's the change?

The latest change is to the individual photo page.
 craig h 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

I don't like it, took me a fair bit to opt out of it the last time they changed things, but there doesn't seem any opt out this time.

Like any changes I'll get use to it, but it doesn't mean I'll enjoy it as much. Overall Flickr still provides a good location to upload your images and a fantastic place for inspiration.
 mudmonkey 27 Mar 2014

I prefer it. Pretty new to Flickr though, so not really a problem to get used to changes. I like that the exif data is more visible along with lens info and think the photos stand out better against the black background.

Now if we're talking about changes to Facebook.....

And don't get me started on Yahoo! mail.
Post edited at 15:14
 mudmonkey 27 Mar 2014
Seems the same on my ipad though
Douglas Griffin 27 Mar 2014
In reply to mudmonkey5:

> And don't get me started on Yahoo! mail.

BT/Yahoo are my internet provider as well.

Used to get a free Pro Flickr account. Under the new, improved, service, this has been withdrawn.

The Lemming 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

> Edit: doh, is it just in the 'edit' mode?!

Doh!

I'm so glad that you spotted that one as I hate the new fandangled flickr but now all is well in the world. I could not get used to the photostream.
 Alyson 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

It's guaranteed to crash safari on my ipad, so I rarely look at it any more.
In reply to Fraser:

I miss the little map you used to get next to each photo

Great photostream Douglas!
Douglas Griffin 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

Thank you, Vanessa!
 waterbaby 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Little tip, go to bottom of Flickr page and change the language. You'll get your old lay out back
OP Fraser 28 Mar 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd seen it in a thread on the Flickr forum too, and it seems the days of that work-around are numbered. But good to know for now, nonetheless.
 Blue Straggler 29 Mar 2014
In reply to dissonance:

> The latest change is to the individual photo page.

Aha I see. All the clutter on the right hand side, yes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...