UKC

Cleaning quarry tiles.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Conlon 26 Mar 2014
I have some seriously "dirty" quarry tiles in my conservatory which include paint splashes and mortar. I have bought some proprietory cleaner but it has not yet proved particularly effective. I would appreciate any advice on effective methods / solutions. I have tried Nitromors on the paint without much success. Thanks in advance.
OP Mike Conlon 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Anyone ?
 Sonjita 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Pressure washer?
 winhill 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

nitromors was my best guess, worked on mine. worth trying more than once.
OP Mike Conlon 28 Mar 2014
In reply to winhill:

How did you apply it, do I need to use wire wool ?
Removed User 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:
Acid brick cleaner will get mortar off but you need to check very carefully its effect on the tiles first it could stain terribly.

Nitromors is useless since they reformulated it.

I have renovated a stone flagged floor in my place and used this procedure:

1) Acid wash and srub to remove mortar stains (use a chisel to knock larger lumps off).
2) Some high alkaline proprietary stone cleaner from a proper supplier. Multiple appplications + wire brushing paint stains out individually.
3) lots of mopping.

Get a wire brush deck scrubber from B&Q - this will save you knees/back and is very effective.

A massive and protracted ball ache but it looks good now!
Post edited at 08:31
OP Mike Conlon 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Removed User:

You have confirmed my worst fears but I will give it a go. I have now put acid wash on and that has made a big impact although the paint remains. Any suggestions for this "high alkaline" cleaner. Many thanks.
Removed User 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Somw stuff by Fila - wasn't cheap but very effective. Still a lot of graft to get the paint up though!
 Mad Tommy 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

We had to clean a very tatty quarry tile floor several years ago. Yes, the cleaning products are great for the finishing touches, but the only way you will get rid of paint and mortar is to get on your knees and gently attack it with a razor blade.
 jimjimjim 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon: Simple, use caustic soda. Mix up some crystals with water and paint the mix on with an old natural bristle paint brush, wipe off with an old rag when it bubbles up. Be very careful mind, gloves and goggles etc are a must. I'm a painter and decorator and have been doing this for years. If you want to stip a door or something you can mix in some wallpaper paste to make your own cheap nitromors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...