UKC

Farage-Clegg debate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 arch 27 Mar 2014
No comments about last nights debate on LBC.

Farage came out on top according to a YouGov poll. Be interesting to hear UKH views ??
 Rob Exile Ward 27 Mar 2014
In reply to arch:

I didn't see it all, but Farrage came across as a ranting, bonkers little England pub bore with scant regard for facts, while Clegg came across as an overwrought schoolboy on a mission.

However the polls seem to suggest that I'm in a minority.
In reply to arch:

I enjoyed it. Clegg was the more polished debater, Farage more forthright. I can understand why Farage "won" it in the polls. He's different to the typical anodyne career politician we are inundated with and is seen as the underdog.

In a lot of ways he's similar to Alex Salmond, popular because he sticks it back to "the man".

As for being light on facts, I don't think it matters when he's playing to an audience who have been effected by open door immigration....they can anecdotedly back all his claims regardless if he is exaggerating them.

Second debate should be good, maybe they will get a bit more personal and the gloves come off
 Dr.S at work 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Now I'd pay to see Farage take on Johnson, with the gloves off.
youtube.com/watch?v=C2QKDnd3OTc&
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Also, for a while I couldn't put my finger on who Farage reminded me of, then I realised that the bottom half of his head looks like it's been drawn by the Simpsons cartoonist. His jaw/mouth is very similar to many characters in the Simpsons, I think Principle Skinner is the closest
 Rob Exile Ward 27 Mar 2014

You're right, an insight like that could cost the xenophobic b*stard dearly. Tweet it!
 climbwhenready 27 Mar 2014
I didn't watch it, in common with most if the country, so my perception is shaped by media coverage.

Although the parties involved billed it as a possible "win-win" for UKIP + LD, as they both get their views aired in a highish profile setting, I wonder if the "Farage won, Clegg lost" narrative will actually be what sticks.
 Jim Fraser 27 Mar 2014
In reply to arch:

Farage is a lying kn0bh34d who thinks he can make a load of stuff up that suits his twisted views and get away with it.

That's not the bad part.

The bad part is that he can get away with it.
Jim C 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> Farage is a lying kn0bh34d who thinks he can make a load of stuff up that suits his twisted views and get away with it.

> That's not the bad part.
> The bad part is that he can get away with it.

So pretty much indistinguishable from Cameron Miliband Salmond , Clegg and the rest then.
 Jim Fraser 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> So pretty much indistinguishable from Cameron Miliband Salmond , Clegg and the rest then.

Unfair. Farage make Dave Cameroon look respectable.
In reply to arch:

Puerile insults and accusation against Farage 10

Substantive facts 0
 Dave Garnett 27 Mar 2014
In reply to arch:

Farage-Clegg has a certain euphonious ring to it.

Bachar-Yerian, Steck-Salathe, Colton-McIntyre... What sort of route would the Farage-Clegg be?
 pec 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> I didn't see it all, but Farrage came across ......etc. >

How exactly did come accross you if you didn't actually see it? Am I missing something here?

In reply to Jim C:

You forgot Salmond
In reply to stroppygob:

As someone who lives on Oz can you butt out of our domestic politics please.
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> As someone who lives on Oz can you butt out of our domestic politics please.

Errrmmmm..... AS someone who intends returning to the UK to live, and whose family and friends are still living there...No.
 Rob Exile Ward 28 Mar 2014
In reply to pec:

Yes you are. I said 'didn't see it ALL.' In fact I saw at least half an hour.

That's not so hard to understand, is it?
 pec 28 Mar 2014
> (In reply to pec)
>
> Yes you are. I said 'didn't see it ALL.' In fact I saw at least half an hour.
>
> That's not so hard to understand, is it? >

Oops, sorry, I misread your post as "didn't see it AT all" for some reason!
Thought perhpas you'd somehow absorbed the essence of the debate through the ether!

Rob Exile Ward 28 Mar 2014
In reply to pec:

Quite OK. But I must have been watching a different programme from the rest of the population because to me Farage came across as a total a*se who you wouldn't put in a school debating society, let alone anywhere near a position of responsibility.

That barsteward is playing fast and loose with my kids' futures.
Jim C 28 Mar 2014

> You forgot Salmond

Nope, I got him ok, although I'm not a great fan, but that does not mean that I don't think that he would not win a debate with pretty much any of the Westminster cabinet.

"So pretty much indistinguishable from Cameron Miliband Salmond , Clegg and the rest then. "
Jim C 28 Mar 2014

> As someone who lives on Oz can you butt out of our domestic politics please.

I'm guessing SG is no Ashcroft, so I have no problems at all with him having an opinion.
However, If he starts trying to influence policy by donating millions to the Tories,( and paying for their trips to the USA etc. ) then that is another matter

Interesting that if the UK is supposed to be under further austerity for up to another 8- 10 years ( depending on who you listen to) why should anyone want to come back here.

Is OZ that bad? It was supposed to be where the Europeans were going to escape!, but maybe the reality is different .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24854519
 wynaptomos 28 Mar 2014

> Quite OK. But I must have been watching a different programme from the rest of the population because to me Farage came across as a total a*se who you wouldn't put in a school debating society, let alone anywhere near a position of responsibility.

> That barsteward is playing fast and loose with my kids' futures.

Yes, I felt the same as you Rob. Was really surprised at the end when most of the comments and poll suggested that Farage had won. I just felt that, for all his popularism and soundbites, he had very little to back it up whereas Clegg seemed to be far better prepared with real facts. But maybe that's my pro-European bias.
 Conor1 28 Mar 2014
In reply to wynaptomos:

"YouGov poll conducted for The Sun."

Perhaps that explains the outcome..?
Jim C 28 Mar 2014
In reply to wynaptomos:

> Clegg seemed to be far better prepared with real facts. But maybe that's my pro-European bias.

Facts don't win as many votes as fibs
. ( any politician knows that
In reply to Jim C: Clegg wasn't too hot on his facts either it seems... On the EU laws on our statute books...appears Clegg was as wishy washy as Farage (at least Farage had the temerity to admit it was from their own research rather than Clegg sanctimoniously speaking "ex cathedra" telling us his figures were from the house of commons library and therefore sacrosanct)

'We were working with LBC last night live-factchecking the debate. I came across your blog post where you wrote about Nick Clegg's statement that only a small percentage of legislation originates in the EU.

The House of Commons Library concluded that “it is possible to justify any measure between 15% and 50% or thereabouts”. We agree — the range depending on whether you only count Acts of Parliament or include regulations and EU regulations too.

Our spotlight on EU influence on UK law gives full details of the research, sources, etc. https://fullfact.org/europe/eu_make_uk_law-29587 '

Bruce Hooker 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> Is OZ that bad?

It's rather that Britain is that good, as good as anywhere in the world and better than many. It's when you live away you appreciate the qualities of a place.
 Dave Garnett 28 Mar 2014
> The House of Commons Library concluded that ¡§it is possible to justify any measure between 15% and 50% or thereabouts¡¨. We agree ¡X the range depending on whether you only count Acts of Parliament or include regulations and EU regulations too.

I can see that it's difficult to come up with an exact number, not only is there the primary legislation vs SI argument but also there's direct effect stuff like Regulations vs indirect effect Directives etc, as well as domestic law that was amended in conformity with an EU norm.

Anyway, what if it is 50%? That's a good thing if it brings us up European standards in areas where short-term political expediency seems to prevent us bringing in civilised rules on water standards, food safety, employment protection, environmental protection, etc...
 The New NickB 28 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I can't see anything above that isn't true.
 Bruce Hooker 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> That's a good thing if it brings us up European standards in areas where short-term political expediency seems to... etc.

And you don't think there's any of that going on in the EU organisation? Have you anything to base this on are you just assuming the grass is greener? Don't forget we are talking about an organisation that was so incapable that they were unable to make a rational choice as to the site of the European Assembly so now it sits half and half between Strasbourg and Brussels, the members do a lot of travelling!
 Doug 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

The only reason the EU parliament is split between Brussels & Strasbourg is the French government who wont allow any change.
 Bruce Hooker 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Doug:

But then neither will the others, apparently. Either way it's hardly a sign of efficient functioning, is it? They seem to fall over backwards to make it easy for the anti-EU brigade.
In reply to Jim C:

> Is OZ that bad? It was supposed to be where the Europeans were going to escape!

No, Oz is great, it's just not the UK.
Jim C 29 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> No, Oz is great, it's just not the UK.

I chat to my uncle and other relations in OZ a fair bit, they , moved in 1968, and never looked back, no question of ever coming back, ( in their 80's now, so no chance of seeing them again)

He has had no visits 'home' ever not even for fleeting holidays, any family in the UK went out to visit them in OZ.

They never missed The UK , but I guess it depends what / where you left behind , they left nothing of worth, and the area they left, has not improved.

Paul Atkinson 29 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Errrmmmm..... AS someone who intends returning to the UK to live, and whose family and friends are still living there...No.

If they enact the sort of draconian immigration legislation you seem to espouse they might not let you back in
In reply to Paul Atkinson:
> If they enact the sort of draconian immigration legislation you seem to espouse they might not let you back in

I have dual nationality, I'm safe I think. Better beware though, don't want the buggers making me pay to get back in.
Post edited at 20:57
 Al Evans 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

> It's rather that Britain is that good, as good as anywhere in the world and better than many. It's when you live away you appreciate the qualities of a place.

I agree Bruce, I'm just not sure I can stand the bloody weather if I move back.
Al
 Bruce Hooker 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Try Cornwall then
 RomTheBear 30 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
Don't be so sure, since 2006, the home secretary can decide to strip whoever they want of their British citizenship, even if born in the UK, as long as you hold another citizenship. No reasons need be given and no court approval is required.
Teresa May has been using this law big time recently, and always refused to comment any of the cases nor provided any evidence for them.
Post edited at 19:32
In reply to RomTheBear:

> Don't be so sure, since 2006, the home secretary can decide to strip whoever they want of their British citizenship, even if born in the UK, as long as you hold another citizenship. No reasons need be given and no court approval is required.

Oh they want people like me back....
 RomTheBear 30 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
> Oh they want people like me back....

Maybe now, might be a different story in ten years, the UK is crowded you know :-P
Post edited at 22:16
In reply to RomTheBear:

In that case they can kick out a few foreigners to make room for me.
 Bruce Hooker 31 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> In that case they can kick out a few foreigners to make room for me.

Are you that on the chubby side then, or were you thinking of targeting thin foreigners?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...