/ Bring back climbing walls made from brick...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
whodared - on 27 Mar 2014
crayefish - on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to whodared:

I used to love them. My old prep school used to have one... learnt as a kiddy on that (being taught bowline tie ins and all those other old school things).
pasbury on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to whodared:

Sobell wall corridor! Some hideous brick edge nasties in there back in the day.
johncoxmysteriously - on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to pasbury:

Good enough for Fliss Butler. My goodness, she was good at going back on forward on the brick-edge traverse.

jcm
Dave Garnett - on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to whodared:

I spent years climbing on walls like this. I think it did lead to a preference for fingery slabs and walls and a bit of a phobia for anything too steep for quite a while, but it certainly gave you strong fingers.

There will be at least two UKC regulars who will remember the Birmingham Northfield YMCA wall (although that had quite friendly softish bricks that had fairly good friction and the sharp edges smoothed off slightly) and the Redditch (YHA?) wall that had some fiercesome brick edging.

The Fen Ditton railway bridge in Cambridge and the Iffley Road sports centre in Oxford have also done significant damage to my joints and tendions over the years, too...
Martin Wright - on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to crayefish:

This bit made me smile:

"One risk must not be overlooked. Artificial climbing (in this new sense) might become so popular as to draw climbers away from the real crags, with their handicaps of distance, wet and cold, and occasional loose rock. It may seem improbable. But has not skating on artificial ice quite overshadowed the skating on natural ice that was so much enjoyed by, for instance, Wordsworth and Mr Pickwick?"

Prophetic words indeed.
In reply to Martin Wright:

The fewer climbers on the crags the better :) More for me! lol
davidbeynon - on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to crayefish:

At the risk of enraging the grit mafia, that's exactly how I used to think of Stanage :)

In reply to davidbeynon:

> grit mafia

Lol! I swear grit climbing is like a religion :) I wonder if there is some strange initiation ceremony?
davidbeynon - on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to crayefish:

It involves flaying your hands in some dodgy jamming crack at Nether Tor I expect.
highclimber - on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to whodared:

My first ever climbing session was on a brick wall in a sports hall at college. I was hooked after it. This was only 12 years ago!
Ian Parsons - on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> the Redditch (YHA?) wall that had some fiercesome brick edging.

But do you remember the off-size vertical finger cracks at intervals along the side walls? Finger stack/ring jam heaven!
Sebastian Fontleroy - on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to whodared:

My local leisure centre has a wall, or should I say corridor, made in the same spirit as this. They've bolted rocks to the ceiling too. Better than most modern walls in a way as you can practice placing protection.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Dave Garnett - on 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> (In reply to Dave Garnett)

> But do you remember the off-size vertical finger cracks at intervals along the side walls? Finger stack/ring jam heaven!

Yes indeed! And I remember the vertical concrete slab thing at Northfield that you used to be able to pinch your way up.

Though we were poor we were 'appy...
Post edited at 21:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.