UKC

Lakes summer climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red Rover 27 Mar 2014
How are the crags in the lakes looking? Was thinking of going this weekend. Is the high stuff like Gimmer or Gillercombe buttress going to be snow free and dry ish, or is that being a bit optimistic?

Cheers
 Jon Stewart 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Bit optimistic. I was up in the Lakes last weekend and it was snowy above about 1600ft.
 Mark Eddy 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Both those crags are currently snow free. Gillercombe dries fairly quick, Gimmer dries very quick. I'd go for Gimmer. Was up there a couple of weeks ago, warm enough and dry.
 John Kelly 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

bbc say, gimmer saturday - you'll still need a jumper
 DannyC 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

We've similar plans this weekend, aiming to rock climb as high as temps/damp will allow. Any locals got any thoughts on Esk Buttress, with duvet jackets and gloves in tow? Over-ambitious? Forecast looks pretty decent. A little windy perhaps.
Cheers,
D.

Mark Eddy 28 Mar 2014
In reply to DannyC:

As long as there's a breeze to help dry it off then should be okay. I climbed at Wallowbarrow on wednesday thinking it would be dry, but lack of a decent breeze meant it was still pretty damp until early afternoon. Higher crags could be a good bet, but as MFB says, take a jumper
 DannyC 28 Mar 2014
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Cheers! I've been known to be a tad optimistic in the past, so that's good to hear. Obviously you're now entirely accountable if any of us feel in anyway chilly or wet, at any point, the entire weekend
D.

Ann S 28 Mar 2014
In reply to DannyC:

Chuck in a life jacket as well if you're going to Esk buttress. Thigh deep bog is pretty standard on the walk in.

DannyC 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Cheers Ann. Been up there once before - in high summer - and remember it being a bit of a swim even then. Should maybe pack my snorkel.
D.
 Ann S 28 Mar 2014
In reply to DannyC:

What are you hoping to do on Esk?
 DannyC 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Ended up on Gimmer and Pavey Ark, mainly due to their proximity to pubs and free parking/camping. Both dry, sunny and strangely quiet. In fact, we were the only team at Gimmer on Saturday and only one other party on Pavey on Sunday. Great days out.
OP Red Rover 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Gimmer and Raven were in perfect condition this weekend. in fact it was too hot on Gimmer yesterday even in a Tshirt (apart from the winds west face). Really good weekend and it felt like July.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...