UKC

Another climbing quiz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

As requested, another set of cryptic climbing questions. Each question provides the key to the next (see http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=582523 for how things work). There are another 20 questions but this time I'll post them as two sets of 10.

One hint - in general only take the answer (route and crag) forward to the next question to avoid confusion as similar references/pronouns in subsequent questions are often completely un-related.

I have attempted to make the questions harder to guess out of order but some are probably still guessable.

Open to the combined efforts of UKC. Please post your reasoning for answers to help others follow the thread. Also, if you can post crag and FA details it may help in some cases.

I did try to avoid mentioning grades as they have a habit of changing but I failed miserably, sorry. Apologies in advance for the inevitable typos or mistakes...

1. A tragically chipped grit traverse. Much better than staring at the arête forever.

2. The same year another route was climbed at the crag with a piton as a helpful crutch.

3. Another character has headed to County Antrim. Matters finish on the adjacent route.

4. This E2 will probably achieve it on a Stanage Buttress.

5. Expulsion from a South Devon route is perhaps described by a nearby poetic VS.

6. Did this Lancashire V3 boulder problem sing about the last crag’s E6?

7. A Cold Climbs tick seems to make a surprise appearance in the area?

8. In summer, an E4 has an easier but darker and less noisy alternative waiting over in the wings?

9. Would the FAist have bad memories from 1976 on a Glencoe Severe?

10. The neighbouring classic ridge is not eponymous but a similarly named VDiff route on Skye is.
Post edited at 21:38

Please feel free to speculate, it may help others.

These may be harder than the last set, so to help get things going I'll post another clue to the first one before I go to bed...
Post edited at 22:18
1. A tragically chipped grit traverse. Much better than staring at the arête forever and well worth calling home about.
 GeoffRadcliffe 27 Mar 2014
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:
I'll start the ball rolling...

1) Oedipus! Ring Your Mother at Froggatt. The arete being Narcissus.
Post edited at 23:49
 GeoffRadcliffe 27 Mar 2014

2) Long John's Slab at Froggatt.
 Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014

3) Blind Pew at Fairhead - another character from Treasure Island. Adjacent route End Game suggests "matters finishing", although the other adjacent route, The Complete Scream, also suggests "completion"!
 GeoffRadcliffe 28 Mar 2014

Pot Black, Stanage E2 (the last ball of the game).
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe (and Ian): Great going, 4 down.

Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014

5) Gates of Eden (Daddyhole); poetic VS near Pot Black is Milton's Meander.

6) In Excess (Craig y Longridge); INXS sang about "Suicide Blonde", the E6 at Daddyhole.
 Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014

7) Central Icefall Direct, Craig y Rhaeadr (and Longridge).
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Nice going Ian and well-thought out.

Do you think the wings have anything to do with the Mot?
 Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe:

Hi Geoff

Clearly there's the thought that the E4 might be Silent Spring; Black Spring would then be easier and darker, but surely not "less noisy"? I'm floundering, unlike the adjacent Lung Fish!
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> Hi Geoff

> Clearly there's the thought that the E4 might be Silent Spring; Black Spring would then be easier and darker, but surely not "less noisy"? I'm floundering, unlike the adjacent Lung Fish!

That was my line of thought too. Less noisy than silent? Also, in summer?
and what about waiting? Hmmm

My other line of thought would be to take the summer version of Icefall direct - waterfall climb? That would mean the E4 was on the Mot: Cold Fusion is the only one on the wings. Is that an alternative to Black Spring or Black Shadow? Or could it be Chequered Wall and Black and White connection?
 Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014

<Also, in summer?>

I simply took that to mean a non-winter route on Craig y Rhaeadr - ie, at E4, Silent Spring or Lung Fish.

Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014

> and what about waiting? Hmmm

Confusingly, Longridge also has a "Waiting in the Wings"! It has a "Jacob's Ladder" as well, but there don't seem to be any E4s on Black Ladders (at least, not in the database).
In reply to Ian Parsons and Geoff: A sterling effort from the two of you, unlike my effort on clue 8 - the 'less' should have read 'more'!

Black Spring it is.

Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014

Excellent, and no problem; keeps people on their toes!
 Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014

9) Wounded Knee, East Face of Aonach Dubh - ref Trango incident, 1976.
Wounded Knee on Aonach Dunh.

Martin Boysen (FAist) got his knee stuck on Trango Tower in 1976

Edit: Beat me to it!
Post edited at 13:30
 mav 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Which means I could come in and steal the glory with the 10th, but feel that wouldn't be right after so much sterling work from everyone while I've lurked, clueless.
In reply to mav:
Archer Thomson's Route VD Skye
Post edited at 13:29
 mav 28 Mar 2014

you deserved that far more than me. You've been discussing crags I know nothing about until now.
In reply to mav:

That's very gracious... however take the prize!

It's a pity the last one wasn't a stinker!
Don't worry mav, here is the continuation...

11. He wrote the guidebook to this crag but climbers generally now continue up another famous climber’s line when doing his dangerous and colourful 1907 route.

12. This climber has an eponymous line on another historic crag. Which less colourful route does it provide the finishing pitch to.

13. The traditional approach to the 4th pitch perhaps brings to mind a Classic Chimney If you are struggling, sitting down might help you remember where.

14. Ticklist in hand, most will be tempted by another route close by. Turn anti-clockwise and then keep on going and you might find a magnificent grade VII mixed line.

15. Another equally imaginatively named grade VII close by is even more sought after. Who did its FAists do battle with on the Ben?

16. Nearby is a stunning rock route that will tax man to climb. The mother of all lines on grit is equally stunning.

17. If suitably casually attired you might want to try an even harder route at the crag. Ironically, the FAist is equally well known for falling off another famous route.

18. The FAist also did well in providing a finish to a modern musical line.

19. After the usual warm up at the crag, seven years later he went on to make his star ascent.

20. After making the trip, those with an Extreme ticklist may be reading this prolific climber’s prose and considering his routes. He took a spiritual leap with a stunning E6.

11 Red Wall, Lliwedd?

jcm
 Rick Sewards 28 Mar 2014

11 Avalanche/Red Wall/Longland's Continuation, Lliwedd - start up Archer Thompson's Route, finish up Jack Longland's

12 White Slab, Cloggy - finishes up Longland's Route (and is less colourful than Red Wall)

Rick

13. Pendulum Chimney, Chair Ladder.
 Carless 28 Mar 2014

I have a feeling 20 should be Lip Trip, but it doesn't quite fit

> 13. Pendulum Chimney, Chair Ladder.

Why - not getting that one?

No 20 feels like Free The Spirit to me, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Why - not getting that one?

Pitch 4 of White Slab was originally done by lassoing a spike and swinging across (pendulum). You sit down in a chair.
Pendulum Chimney is a chimney route in Classic Rock at Chair Ladder.

Aha, of course. Well, ticklist in hand would lead one to Terrier's Tooth or Bishop's Rib. Not sure about turning anti-clockwise or magnificent grade VIIs. The Mitre?! What grade is Mitre Ridge?

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Damn, another oversight! Please ignore the ticklist reference.

Revised clue:

14. Most will be tempted by another route close by. Turn anti-clockwise and then keep on going and you might find a magnificent grade VII mixed line.

OK, well that's South Face Direct, presumably. Anti-clockwise would be East Face Direct?!

Any winter climbers?

jcm

I am afraid Scottish winter climbs leave me cold.

However I can make some observations to try and get things moving.

Parthian Shot is a grade VII on Bidean nam Bian and also a John Dunne route at Burbage South. Is is the Mother of all ...?

Also John Dunne did the Well Dunne Finish to Zoolook (a studio album by Jean Michel Jarre).

The tax man reference in 16 could be Mick Fowler.
 Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014

Probably coincidentally, when you unleash a Parthian Shot you turn anti-clockwise on your horse (unless you hold the bow in your right hand), loose an arrow, and keep going.
 Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014

Unfortunately, though, while Parthian Shot is a 7 it's not a VII!

Other thoughts:
Dave Macleod did Rhapsody, a finish to Requiem. Both musical and Dave did famously take a big fall.

Dave has also done lots of Scottish winter first ascents...
> I am afraid Scottish winter climbs leave me cold.
> However I can make some observations to try and get things moving.

Hopefully a few knowledgeable Winter climbers will join in. I'll let things run and I won't confirm which of your observations are right or wrong for the time being.
 Ian Parsons 28 Mar 2014
Might Dunne's Total Eclipse at Malham be the "star ascent" in 19? It came seven years after the Well Dunne Finish, which also involved jumping off for a big lob at the top.
Post edited at 19:29
> Also John Dunne did the Well Dunne Finish to Zoolook (a studio album by Jean Michel Jarre).

I thought it's only fair to confirm you are completely correct with that one.
18 is Zoolook 8a, The Catwalk, Malham
 GeoffRadcliffe 29 Mar 2014

If you let me know which ones are right (if any), I'll provide explanations.

15. Mick Fowler, Victor Saunders did battle with The Shield Direct (VII) on the Ben (1979)

16. Mick Fowler climbed Linden (E6), Curbar
NB The mother of all grit routes should be Gaia, Black Rocks, a JD route

17. Parthian Shot, Burbage South, John Dunne

18.is Zoolook 8a (Ron Fawcett 1985), The Catwalk, Malham, John Dunne Added the Well-Dunne Finish (1988)

19. Milky Way, Ilkley Ron Fawcett, 1978

20. Lord of the Flies (E6), Cromlech, Ron Fawcett.
 Ian Parsons 29 Mar 2014

Ah! Presumably your thinking for "suitably casually attired" is Seb wearing his trendy, and friction-enhancing, stretchy jeans on Meshuga (even harder than Gaia); Seb is possibly best known as the man who first dared to take the fall off Parthian Shot. Reminds me of an amusing tale (from Neil F) involving apparently unsuitable attire on such routes!

Strong contenders, whether or not they're all correct.
> If you let me know which ones are right (if any), I'll provide explanations.
Will do.

What about 14? jcm was almost there but we didn't have an exact route and crag...

> 15. Mick Fowler, Victor Saunders did battle with The Shield Direct (VII) on the Ben (1979)
No, sorry. However you are extremely close...

> 16. Mick Fowler climbed Linden (E6), Curbar
> NB The mother of all grit routes should be Gaia, Black Rocks, a JD route
You are right it IS Gaia. You are also correct about the first half of the clue being a Mick Fowler ref. Your answer to 15 should have allowed you to follow the whole clue.

> 17. Parthian Shot, Burbage South, John Dunne
Yes. Please let me know the reasoning, I hope you managed to follow to whole clue.

> 18.is Zoolook 8a (Ron Fawcett 1985), The Catwalk, Malham, John Dunne Added the Well-Dunne Finish (1988)
Spot on. V impressed you guessed this.

> 19. Milky Way, Ilkley Ron Fawcett, 1978
Sorry no. This one is definitely the crux. Work through the whole clue and you should get there eventually.

> 20. Lord of the Flies (E6), Cromlech, Ron Fawcett.
No, but you are unlikely to get this without 19.

PS have got another 9 question to follow on after these, assuming you, Ian, jon etc. get there.

In reply to Ian Parsons: Excellent, glad you followed that one

19. Rainshadow (2003), Catwalk, Malham (Steve Mac) the continuation of RainDogs (his warm up)?

I assume you rejected Ian's suggestion of Eclipse?
Post edited at 20:09
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe: No, and not Eclipse either.

Strong Steve might warm up on Raindogs but it is not the case for most climbers on the Catwalk.

The usual warmup is Consenting Adults 7a, Catwalk

Continuation is Thriller, Victor Hugo.

Post edited at 20:26

19: Consenting Adults, catwalk, Malham (the usual warm up) FA by Mick Ryan in 1986. In 1993 (7 years later), Mick Ryan equipped Militia (8a+), Giggleswick Scar for John Dunne to climb.

You are off to the right start, however much more lateral thinking is required. If no progress is made tonight I'll post a further clue tomorrow as it might just be too cryptic and not obvious enough.
Post edited at 20:58
In the meantime, I might as well clear up 14. It was:
East Face Direct Direct VII, Central Buttress, Stob Coire nan Lochan, Glencoe.
That should allow 15 to be worked out FWIW.

Ian Parsons 29 Mar 2014

Centurion? (McKenzie and Spence, winter, and Central Grooves on SCNL)
In reply to Ian Parsons:
> Centurion? (McKenzie and Spence, winter, and Central Grooves on SCNL)
Yes. Centurion, grade VIII on Cran Dearg Buttress, Ben Nevis

Any thoughts on 16; the Mick Fowler rock route on Carn Dearg that links to Gaia?
 Ian Parsons 29 Mar 2014
Ah - so it is on Carn Dearg; I was wondering whether it might have skipped to the Pembroke Centurion and was trying to remember the name of the Fowler route on the outside of The Cauldron. (Doh!) Titan's Wall - obviously!
Post edited at 22:27
 Ian Parsons 29 Mar 2014

19) Well - the 1992 film "Consenting Adults" starred Kevin Kline, who seven years later in 1999 played Bottom in "A Midsummer Night's Dream". Not sure where that would lead, if correct.
In reply to Ian Parsons:
I was just about to post the same. Snap.

Midsummer Night's Dream, Cloggy E6 Ed Ward-Drummond route. prolific prose.
Post edited at 22:57
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> 19) Well - the 1992 film "Consenting Adults" starred Kevin Kline, who seven years later in 1999 played Bottom in "A Midsummer Night's Dream". Not sure where that would lead, if correct.

Great thinking but try the other Kevin...
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Possibly Leap to Linden E6, Curbar? He did it with sky hooks (is hooking the sky spiritual?)

American Beauty?
> American Beauty?
Yes.

Anyway, I'm impressed you both got the film link. I debated whether to replace 'star' in the clue with 'Oscar winning' but I thought that might be rather too obvious. I also didn't believe it would be possible to find a 1999 climbing link to BOTH Kevin Spacey and Kevin Kline.

19 American Beauty, Lundy

20 Pulsebeat, Pembroke
 Ian Parsons 29 Mar 2014

Looked at Spacey but American Beauty didn't look as promising, although there are routes of that name.
 Ian Parsons 29 Mar 2014

Now I'm completely lost!
> 19 American Beauty, Lundy
Yes

> 20 Pulsebeat, Pembroke
Right climber, right location, but not the exact route one I was thinking of...

I'll let you explain to Ian.
Post edited at 23:23

Souls then.
 Ian Parsons 29 Mar 2014

Sounds like Bingo to Geoff!
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Gary wrote the section on Lundy in Extreme Rock.

Hunstman's Leap.

Souls.

Done!

Hopefully you can progress equally well through the next 9, although they are likely to be the last for a while.

21. The bull-headed may feel trapped here. A Lakes Extreme may be the architect of their predicament.

22. A similarly graded line is the route of the crag. The next title in line perhaps brings to mind a stormy Torridon rock route.

23. The wall is better known for a modern mixed masterpiece. If the FAist was a country music fan he might well follow a track to North Wales Limestone.

24. The crag is indelibly linked with a teenage prodigy. What later route of his was a world first?

25. A familiar climber went one better, although not without controversy. His famous trad route of the same year was equally controversial.

26. An easier line may tempt those of a more level headed persuasion. Those of a poetic disposition who enjoy it will probably want to head to mid-Wales for an earlier collection.

27. Those partial to the line to the left may wish to head to Avon for a modern classic.

28. Musical lovers might prefer a step into the unknown. Subsequent inspiration was provided by someone more commonly associated with a SW sport route.

29. The comic genius most closely associated with the hardest link-up seems to have climbed a grit crack.

Post edited at 23:43
 Ian Parsons 29 Mar 2014

21) The Maze (Gogarth) and Theseus (Shepherd's) spring to mind here - The Minotaur being another Leap route; but I'm going to bed!
In reply to Ian Parsons:

He has been busy! I am turning in as well.
Geoff, Ian, thanks for participating. Hopefully hear from you tomorrow...

Didn't Daedalus make the maze the Minotaur lived in? Is there a Lakes Extreme called Daedalus?

jcm

And if that were right then for 23 the route of the crag is Where Eagles Dare, the next novel Force Ten from Navarone, and presumably the stormy Torridon rock route Force Ten on Beinn Eighe.

jcm

...in which case the modern mixed masterpiece is presumably either Bruised Violet (FA Ian Parnell) or Blood Sweat and Frozen Tears (not sure TBH; was it Nisbet and Cunningham)?

Knowing nothing about country music, modern mixed climbing or North Wales Limestone, I think I might have to retire at this point.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Good effort. Spot on for 21, Daedalus E2, Eagle Crag (Borrowdale) and as you said, 22 is the Beinn Eighe E2 Force Ten.
No takers this evening?

lithos 30 Mar 2014

statement of youth on north wakes limestone and ben Moon on Hubble 1st 8c?
In reply to lithos:
> statement of youth on north wakes limestone and ben Moon on Hubble 1st 8c?
Well done. 24 is indeed Hubble 8c+, Raven Tor. It is considered the world's first route of the grade.

23 has been skipped but I'm sure someone will get in. Also 25 should be relatively straight-forward.
Post edited at 23:22
 lithos 30 Mar 2014

blood seat and frozen tears any nesbitt - no idea about country music

25 is John Dunne and Parthian Shot, I suppose, is it?

jcm

And the nearer level-headed route sounds like Balance It Is. Not much idea about mid-Wales and poetry, though; kinda sounds like Darker Angel?!

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Right on the climber in 25, but unfortunately wrong on the routes.

Oh really? I don't recall another JD controversial trad route. Not The Big Issue, surely?

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: If you work through both parts of the clue it should hopefully make sense, although I will admit that 'controversy' is a relative term where JD was concerned.

GeoffRadcliffe 31 Mar 2014
25 Seems like it could be Divided Years, Buzzard's Roost (1990) as the name suggests division. This was the same year as Hubble.

The nearby route would be spirit level, E7 (level headed persuasion) ?
Post edited at 11:19
 Ian Parsons 31 Mar 2014

25) Total Eclipse? (I'm determined to sell this route!) Graded 9a this could be seen as going one better than Hubble's 8c+. Climbed in 1995, so we might be looking for a Dunne trad route from that year rather than 1990.
> ...in which case the modern mixed masterpiece is presumably either Bruised Violet (FA Ian Parnell) or Blood Sweat and Frozen Tears (not sure TBH; was it Nisbet and Cunningham)?

There is a country singer Lee Roy Parnell.
The North Wales limestone crag is LPT (as it was where Ben made his statement). However, I am failing to see the country music track that links to a route there. There are plenty of musical references such as Under the Boardwalk by the Drifters but they were an R&B band.
Post edited at 11:52
> 25 Seems like it could be Divided Years, Buzzard's Roost (1990) as the name suggests division. This was the same year as Hubble.

Right route. Not entirely sure about reasoning and the date is wrong - Ian was almost there.

JD went one better than Hubble (8c+) with Total Eclipse (9a) at Malham in 1995. It was controversial due to Jerry Moffatt pulling off what might have been crucial holds and it still being un-repeated and potentially reach dependent. In the same year JD climbed Divided Years at Buzzards Roost in the Mourne Mountains which he gave the massive (and controversial) grade of E10 which Dave McLeod climbed in 2006 and thought might only be E8 6c.

> The nearby route would be spirit level, E7 (level headed persuasion) ?

So far so good. How is your twentieth century poetry knowledge?
Post edited at 11:56

Just checked and Divided Years was climbed in September 1994 according to UKC?

Would it be Will 'o the Wisp, Craig Coward, Arrans (HVD)?
> Just checked and Divided Years was climbed in September 1994 according to UKC?

The logbook says 1994 but all the other references online including UKC News and Planetfear quote 1995:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=19542
http://www.planetfear.com/articles/Traditional_Climbing_Records_Page_316.ht...
https://www.planetfear.com/news/MacLeod_Downgrades_Divided_Years_1553.html
The earliest online record I've found is rockclimbing.com from 2003 which also says 1995 - http://www.rockclimbing.com/forum/Climbing_Information_C2/Climbing_History_...

>How is your twentieth century poetry knowledge?

Good enough to know that The Spirit Level is a collection of poetry by someone-or-other, and with the aid of Google to identify that someone as Seamus Heaney, but not good enough to know what the poems in it are called.

jcm
> Would it be Will 'o the Wisp, Craig Coward, Arrans (HVD)?

Sorry, it's not, but not knowing your thinking I don't know whether you are heading in the right direction or not.

Ah, earlier *collection*. RTFQ. In that case, it's presumably The Haw Lantern on Craig y Merched.

jcm

....which makes 27 Amanita Muscarina.

jcm

Not so sure about the musical, though. Have they made Krapp's Last Tape into a musical?! Now that would be worth seeing.

jcm
Probably Unknown Pleasures (Joy Division album). FA by Martin Crocker the SW climber.
Post edited at 13:51
Probably Unknown Pleasures (Joy Division album). FA by Martin Crocker the SW climber.

Martin Crocker also freed the GG bolt route No Mercy, Morlais Quarries E7 6c one of the hardest trad routes at the time in South Wales.

Quarries could be a link to Quarryman (E8 7a), Twll Mawr one of the hardest link ups by the genius Johhny Dawes.
Post edited at 14:28
 Ian Parsons 31 Mar 2014

There is, of course, a grit crack called Bob Hope, but the only connection I can find with Crocker is the film Star Spangled Rhythm; Martin has a sport route on Cheddar's Spacehunter Wall called Star Spangled Banner, but being one of the easier routes up there it doesn't exactly fit the "hardest link-up" description.
In reply to Ian Parsons:
Yes I like the Bob Hope suggestion but it doesn't seem to go anywhere (the Long Hope?) at the moment. Excellent crack route BTW.
Post edited at 14:49
> Ah, earlier *collection*. RTFQ. In that case, it's presumably The Haw Lantern on Craig y Merched.
> ....which makes 27 Amanita Muscarina.

Excellent.

26 is The Haw Lantern, a rather nice E2 which there is a photo of in the current CC Meirionnydd guide. The LH line is Magic Mushroom E1.

27 is indeed Amanita Muscarina E4, fantastic route on Sea Walls at Avon taking a line close to Yellow Edge E3. It is also the latin name for the fly agaric or fly amanita, a mushroom and psychoactive basidiomycete fungus.

> Probably Unknown Pleasures (Joy Division album). FA by Martin Crocker the SW climber.

Geoff, a great start to 28 but you'll need to follow the Joy Division link further.
 GeoffRadcliffe 01 Apr 2014

28. Musical lovers might prefer a step into the unknown. Subsequent inspiration was provided by someone more commonly associated with a SW sport route.

The nearby route of Unknown Pleasures was a Joy Division Album.
Their second album was Closer. The group reformed as New Order after the death of Curtis with the addition of Gillian Gilbert. But I am struggling with the 'someone'. I presume SW refers to South-West? eg. Devon, Dorset and Cornwall.

The obvious SW sport climbers are Pete Oxley, Nick White, Ken Palmer, Bob Hickish, Martin Crocker. But I cannot see any links. What am I missing?
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe: Whose work helped provide inspiration for Closer?

The Atrocity Exhibition, Dancing Ledge ?

or The Ghost of Ian Curtis 7c, Dancing Ledge.
Post edited at 12:21
 Ian Parsons 01 Apr 2014

Empire of the Sun, Anstey's Cove?
In reply to Ian Parsons:
> Empire of the Sun, Anstey's Cove?

Well done. JG Ballard's Atrocity Exhibition provided inspiration for and the title track on Closer. He is better known for his more mainstream WWII novel 'Empire of the Sun'.

The last one should be easier!

29. The comic genius most closely associated with the hardest link-up seems to have climbed a grit crack.
Post edited at 12:45
Brian?

Monty Python, Crowden
Post edited at 12:46
> Brian?
Right link-up.

> Monty Python, Crowden
Wrong route. But you are on the right track.

The final answer should make sense when you get it.
Post edited at 12:55

Brian - Life of Brian - Terry Jones.

I'm stuck. Is there a Jones or Terry's Crack on grit?!

jcm
> Is there a Jones or Terry's Crack on grit?!
No, not Jones or Terry...

However, it is probably only fair to say that the last question links back to the first.
Post edited at 13:05

Is Terry Jones the comic genius associated with Brian, at least? He was the director.

Who *played* Brian? Graham Chapman? Chapman's Crack?

jcm

Graham Chapman played Brian and there is a Chapman's Crack at Froggatt
> Graham Chapman played Brian and there is a Chapman's Crack at Froggatt

Correct. Also we are now back at the Pinnacle on Froggatt where we started!

23. The wall is better known for a modern mixed masterpiece. If the FAist was a country music fan he might well follow a track to North Wales Limestone.
Presumably the mixed route is:
Bruised Violet Ian Parnell and Lee Roy Parnell is the Country singer. However I am struggling for the link to LPT.

[There is also Creme de Violete by Nick Bullock and Sandra Bullock played a country music fan...]
FWIW the missing one was Chain Gang E5 at Pen Trwyn. It is the 7th track on the Johnny Cash album Blood Sweat and Tears.

In reply to Geoff, John & Ian: That's all for now. Thank you for playing along.

The last lot of questions were getting increasingly cryptic so I thank you for staying with it and putting up with my occasional mistakes on the way.

I will try to put together something for later in the month, probably going back to slightly easier questions at least initially. Yet again, comments gratefully received, either overall or about individual questions.

Ian Parsons 01 Apr 2014

I should think you probably need to lie down for a bit; I certainly do. Good effort!
In reply to Ian Parsons:

I am exhausted! and I've lost a lot more hair!

It was a major undertaking. Well done to the OP.

Yes, thanks, Ex. Good fun.

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...