/ The price of gear...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Merlin - on 28 Mar 2014

The cost of equipment seems to be escalating rapidly. I earn a reasonable salary yet still I find the amount footwear and crampons in particular cost now is eye watering. I just had a look at the latest offering from Petzl which has an alleged RRP of 250! For crampons! Seriously??!

Shocking...

An example; five years ago you could buy a pair of Sportiva Nepal Extremes for 200 (usually on sale regularly for 180) and Grivel G14s for around 120. Nepals now are commonly 300 and G14s 150.
Post edited at 11:39
SteveoS - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Saw a pair of new ladies mantas go for 80 t'other day. Buying last season is the way forward.
In reply to Merlin:

> An example; five years ago you could buy a pair of Sportiva Nepal Extremes for 200 (usually on sale regularly for 180)

But weren't they that much 15 years ago? I pretty certain mine were half price at 100 quid in 2000.
galpinos - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Buy less gear?

I'd say in general, it hasn't risen above inflation, it was just held stagnant for a while (as I notice Toby has said above).
stevieweesaxs107 - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to galpinos:
Yeah its been that way past few years and its only going one way North.
Clocked the Hille Akto up to 490 up 65!! Keen eye on Flebay or the classifieds,Gumtree worth a browse also

Indy - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:
> Clocked the Hille Akto up to 490 up 65!

You charge what you can get away with in the same way that you wouldn't turn down a pay rise.
maisie - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Merlin:

In all honesty, if you compare climbing gear to technical gear in other arenas, it's an absolute steal: I can buy a cam for under forty quid, that may save my life and which is pretty much guaranteed against faults for life (ref the recent wires recall). I recently bought a decent 70m single rope for less than 120 quid, delivered. You can also get a serviceable pair of crampons for well under a hundred, if you know where to look.

On the other hand, 500 jackets are only made for two types of people: really cutting edge climbers (all three of them) or punters with no sense. But it's a victimless crime.
Ben Sharp - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to maisie:

> On the other hand, 500 jackets are only made for two types of people: really cutting edge climbers (all three of them) or punters with no sense. But it's a victimless crime.

This is a conversation I enjoy bringing up with reps whenever I can, it's not the 500 jackets I have a problem with. They're no better than the 300 ones so it doesn't really affect anyone on a standard income and/or of reasonable mental function.

It's the 300 jackets I have a problem with, or rather it annoys me why you can't take a 60 jacket, put a bigger hood on and size it to fit a human, instead of a square, for any less than 200 extra. The response is usually something along the lines of- "Oh but look at all the body mapping...this zip was developed with NASA...we've got this new machine that weaves these fabrics into...all the research...blah blah blah". I get that that costs a fair bit and is justified in making a great jacket, but could you please take a normal jacket, cut a half moon out of each side of it and put a bigger hood on for an extra 20 please?
maisie - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Ben Sharp:

Oh, you should see how (veterinary) pharmaceutical companies operate. For a bit of light reading, have a bash at Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre.

The problem is that those brands which put a bit of thought into their gear, and thus charge a little more - to compensate for overheads - get frozen out by the kind of consumer who tracks down bargains and then goes into GO Outdoors to use the 10% off promotion. And then moans about lack of thought from gear companies ;-)
PPP - on 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Ben Sharp:

I think it's a problem with us as well - as long as we can pay that amount for a jacket (or whatever), they will charge us so. Overtrousers are even worse:
~50 pounds for decent half zip trousers.
less than 100 pounds for decent 3/4 zip trousers.
200+ pounds for decent full-zip trousers.

I guess even NASA does not charge that much for zippers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.