UKC

Tarf bothy access.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Areteroute 29 Mar 2014
Guys, anyone know how easy it is to access the Tarf Bothy from the Munro's to its east? I know it involves a river crossing which I suspect will be running hard with snow melt. Anyone been there and can help?

Cheers

Pete
 kwoods 29 Mar 2014
In reply to Areteroute:

Hey, I went from Beinn a' Ghlo to the Tarf last year, there's a big bridge (+ should be immune to snow melt) at the outflow of Allt Fheannach below Carn nan Gabhar.

I went straight up + over Braigh Coire na Conlaich as it was shorter than the track around. There was a (very bendy) plank of wood over the Feith Uaine at the bothy.
 Simon Caldwell 29 Mar 2014
 StuDoig 29 Mar 2014
In reply to Areteroute:

Easy enough to get accross from the Beinn a' Ghlo hills to the west side of the tarf water - the marked bridges are good. However getting over the river outside the bothy can be challenging if it's in spate / flood. The Plank of wood / bridge outside the bothy doesn't help much if the burn is high.....

you can try approaching via Carn a' Chlamain and the stalkers path behind forest lodge. you can then cross the burn higher up where it's narrow.

Walking out over An Sgarsoch, Carn an Fhidhleir and Beinn Dearg circuit is a superb second day as well - and you can stop of for a fine second nights bothying at the bothy at the food of Beinn Dearg if you're in no hurry to get home that night.

Cheers,

Stu
In reply to Areteroute:

As earlier advised from the East the bridge at river Tilt junction with Allt Fheannach is the best.

If you use the estate track it still has snow as do the tops, tricky with a bike still.

If you stick to the South Side of the River at the pony hut NN 955 797 you can follow the track to the bothy, has higher ground in places.

We put in a new crossing over the Green Burn at the bothy late last year it is higher and more sturdy than the last.

Been a good shift of snow but still plenty on the tops rivers are high.

Ricky

Tarf Hotel M/O MBA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...