UKC

"Way Up" skied today on Liathach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 29 Mar 2014

Met 4 guys at top of Way Up today, stopped half way down the gully to get some photos, link here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152259279775865.1073741870.7386...

If this is you, give me an email if you want any full resolution ones!!

Cheers,
Gordon
 GraB 30 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Hi Peeblesboy,
Thanks for that - Just emailed you. Hope you had as good a day as we did!

Graham
Srick 31 Mar 2014
In reply to GraB:

One day I'll be good enough, One day...
 andyinglis 31 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Hi Gordon,

Good pictures, nice one! Many thanks again for letting us skoot past! Great day out and I think we spotted your early morning tracks in upper coire na caime. Pity about the weather not clearing till you were back down... great place to spend time!

Cheers
Andy
 niallk 07 Apr 2014
In reply to andyinglis:
Andy and Graham (and Dave),

Are you able to put a figure on wow steep Way Up was when you skied it? (Roughly, obviously).

I sent peebles boy's pics to my old man who is a keen skier and at some point hoping to return to live in Scotland. He was impressed but also curious as to how steep it was. I kind of know how steep grade 1 gullies feel/are but can't put a figure on it as am crap at judging slope angle. Thought as you guys do more of that sort thing, you might have a better grasp of such matters?

Ta,
Niall
Post edited at 13:38
 Scomuir 07 Apr 2014
In reply to niallk:

Skiers are not much better at judging angles, as it usually feel steeper than it actually is! That said, Way Up is quite mellow for a Grade I, despite being narrow. My guess is there's nothing over 45 degrees (I've skied it twice).
 Andy Nisbet 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Scomuir:

> Skiers are not much better at judging angles, as it usually feel steeper than it actually is! That said, Way Up is quite mellow for a Grade I, despite being narrow. My guess is there's nothing over 45 degrees (I've skied it twice).

I would say that's right. I've been up and down it many times, bum slid, walked nervously when icy. There's a section quite high up which is 45 degrees and narrower (but obviously OK for skiing) while the rest is easier. No steps in summer.
 andyinglis 07 Apr 2014
In reply to peebles boy: The steepness (or lack of) is not the difficulty with way Up, more the narrowing at 1/3 of the way down (as opposed to 2/3 of the Way Up!). 40-45 degrees I'd guess (I'd have said towards the bottom of that bracket) as I think that genuine 45+ degrees feels steep on skis! Very nice atmospheric gully.

Andy

niallk 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Andy, Andy and Scott:

Cheers guys.

PS - Curious as to whether you walked up first to assess conditions, terrain etc or just fired on in, based on previous knowledge/up-to-date beta etc?
Post edited at 12:55
 Scomuir 08 Apr 2014
In reply to niallk:

On both occasions for me, I did not climb the gully first. However, I had, on both occasions, climbed at least one other gully on the mountain and skied it/them before hand, so knew what conditions were like.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...