UKC

Recommend me a tough compact camera, reasonably priced.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveP 30 Mar 2014
Planning to replace my compact camera which was bought on eBay during a cheapskate moment a couple of years ago and has never been any good. I want something that will fit in a jacket pocket during winter climbing, takes good photos, is tough enough to survive a few years of abuse and preferably has GPS for tagging locations. Don't want to spend more than £200 - preferably a little less. Have been looking on the internet. The main contenders seem to be

Nikon Coolpix AW110 - £180
Olympus Tough TG830 - £180
Panasonic DMC FT5 - £250 - my pal has this camera but seems more expensive than competitors...

Any views or pointers?
 gunbo 30 Mar 2014
In reply to steveP:

Just bought my wife the olympous tough for £160 new seems good so far not had a decent play around yet feels well made and solkd though
In reply to steveP:

I have the Olympus TG-2 which I use for my caving trips. The f2 stop on the TG-2 makes it extremely useful in caves.

I know guys who also take caving pics with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT25 and get very good results. The FT25 was my second choice after the TG-2 but I had the cash so was willing to splash out.

I'm a complete punter at taking pics but the Olympus does everything I wanted it to with absolute ease.
 drsdave 30 Mar 2014
In reply to steveP:

get the smaller brother to the Panasonic, no gps but 150 cheaper and will take the knock and is waterproof
OP steveP 30 Mar 2014
In reply to steveP:

Thanks - might have a look at the cheaper Panasonic camera. Was thinking very seriously about the Nikon but the internet is awash with people who say it leaks/fogs up etc.
 Ron Walker 30 Mar 2014
In reply to steveP:

I use the Lumix FT 4 and I'm more than happy with it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...