UKC

80Litre + Exped sacks: what's available?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 top cat 30 Mar 2014
Seems to be a shortage of big exped sacks...anyone got a recommendation?
 papashango 30 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:
I have a 90 litre higear (gooutdoors) one, I have found it to be very hard wearing. They do a 120 litre version too which I think I will buy for my next big trip.

*very cheap too
Post edited at 18:56
 Firestarter 30 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:

Berghaus do large ones, as do Karrimor. Plenty to be found, but a lot seem to be for the military market.
OP top cat 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

> Berghaus do large ones, as do Karrimor. Plenty to be found, but a lot seem to be for the military market.

Yes, I noticed the military bias in my searches. Should have said that I favour single compartment sacks...

In reply to top cat:

Go Outdoors were doing the Light wave Wildtrek 60&70 cheap in the sale
I picked up a 60 what a bag!! almost makes it pleasurable to carry a heavy bag
 papashango 30 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:

ah you want a rucksack, ignore my suggestion then!
 Firestarter 30 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:

Check out the berghaus vulcan, or the karrimor sf range. No bright colours but big load carriers.
m0unt41n 30 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:

Podsac are doing an XPod for £130 but size 1 only now.

Excellent for big expeditions.
 IPPurewater 30 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:
Have a look at the Macpac sacks.

I used to have a "Glissade" until it got nicked. Bomb proof, comfy and made to last, but a little on the heavy side.
Post edited at 20:20
 ben b 30 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:

There's plenty out there but it's an odd end of the market. Few people in the UK need one of these sacks (e.g. for completely self supported trips of 2 weeks plus). I reckon at these huge loads the weight of the pack (empty) is relatively unimportant as there will be much suffering anyway so you might as well suffer in comfort....

See also Osprey Xenith 105, Gregory Whitney, Arctery Altra, Gregory Denali Pro, Mountain Hardwear BMG 105, Cactus Climbing Foray, Macpac Cascade 90FL, Berghaus Extrem, Pod X-Pod etc etc.

I had a POD Expedition pack from 1992 until 2007 when I sold it; then I realised this had been a silly idea and bought an identical one second hand in 2008. Still going strong.

HTH

b
 angry pirate 30 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:

I have a Berghaus Vulcan from a former life, which is awesome! I have another of their cyclops sacks which is also great.
Having said that, I'll be looking at the Auigille Alpine range in the flesh when i come to replace one.
In reply to top cat:

The Haglofs Lex 80 is larger than it's stated to be, and super comfortable when loaded.
 ben b 31 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:

If you want to go really army barmy then these appear very popular with the US military and you can even have a handy sleeve for RPGs

http://www.mysteryranch.com/military

Up to 125l of space should do for most!

b
In reply to ben b:

Millet prolighter 65+20 is awesome but you have order it in from someone.
 ballsac 31 Mar 2014
In reply to top cat:
i've no idea if you could lay your hands on one, but Berghaus used to do the Extrem Exped which was about 80l - it was a climbing sac, rather than a comfy walking sac, but it was perfectly acceptable and very hardwearing.

as mentioned, the Berghaus Vulcan or Cyclops is a good option if you can live with green, they are more comfortable to carry for long trips than the Extrem Exped, and last forever. mine (Vulcan) is 20 years old, and has from the begining been ridiculously overloaded, badly treated and is still in reasonably good nick.

if colour really isn't important, but cheap and functional is, the current issue PLCE long back infantry sac is less comfortable than the Vulcan, prety much as strong, very practical and can be had for £40 - 50.
Post edited at 12:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...