UKC

Keeping my 9 month old warm!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pepperpot 30 Mar 2014
Got a 9 month old daughter and now its nearly spring I want to get out in the hills. I've got myself one of those backpack carriers but I need a few pointers on clothing for her.

Anyone got any experience on how to keep the little ones warm while maintaining a bit of versatility? I've looked at snow suits but they look a bit thick for spring/summer and its a bit of a all or nothing option. I think a baby sized pertex suit would be ideal together with a nice fleece romper...

In fact I did look at the Buffalo Kids stuff. Any good?
 sleavesley 30 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

I can recommend Spotty Otter, a children's outdoor clothing company based in Sheffield, expensive but very good quality and you'll get good returns when selling on eBay too.
 chris fox 30 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

We just bought the cheap one piece suits from Sainsbury's and Tesco. Did the job just fine
 quirky 30 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

Layers! With a waterproof full suit to keep the wind off. Dont forget legs and feet too. We had a full waterproof cover for the backpack which was great for keeping the wind off. I always went out under dressed for the temperature. ..my theory being if I was cold moving around the nipper would be cold sitting still. Our two loved the backpack! A picnic in the storage compartment was mandatory though!!! Enjoy!!
 Andrew Lodge 30 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

It's great till they are sick down the back of your neck, don't ask how I know
M0nkey 31 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

We have bought several columbia down suits for our kids. They are much cheaper than the spotty otter ones so you don't mind them getting trashed. They are without question the best thing we have bought for our kids ever. The second best is the rucksack, but you already have one of those.
 lummox 31 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

I'd recommend BushBaby- we've had splash suits and fleece lined suits for both of ours which have kept them warm and happy in all weathers. You can usually get decent priced second hand ones from Fleabay.
 Carolyn 31 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

My experience is that it has to be high summer before they're too hot sitting still in a fleece lined waterproof suit - and even then, they usually need a fleece suit. Things like hats and gloves are good for adjusting the overall temperature. Admittedly we're in Cumbria....

I'd get one their feet poke out of, rather than one with built in feet. It's much, much easier to get them in and out of, and very soon your little one will want to start walking about (holding on to your hands, or possibly even alone - my first was walking at 11 months) and that's much easier in shoes/snowboots/wellies.

And don't forget a sun hat/sunshade just in case the sun appears. You then need to work out a way to get it back on their head every 2 minutes whilst they're on your back in the rucsac!

Togz are another brand worth looking at - more waterproof than many. You'd be surprised how many puddles they can find to crawl in even on a dry day.
 jonfun21 31 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

We bought something like this (was on sale in Cotswolds)....for use in the Lakes in October/November with our 9 month old.

http://www.simplypiste.com/products/Columbia/SnugglyBunnyDownBunting-Bright...

Its good as it keeps the feet and hands contained when you fold the material over and when they get bigger (as he is now) you can unfold it and wear it as a suit with shoes and gloves
 ByEek 31 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

We have a snow suit that is great for when it is cold. You just have to play it by ear. Obviously, in the valleys and shelter, normal clothes + coat is usually sufficient. It is just in a cold wind that there is a problem and it is hands and toes that get the worst of it. That said, young children seem oblivious to cold hands and feet and they seem to warm up again instantly once in a warm room. Just play it by ear and apply liberal common sense.
 Danzig 31 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

We've used Mountain Warehouse all in ones for our little un and he's always been cosy warm and waterproof, we're on the 3rd one in a row and they've all been top drawer.
 jonfun21 31 Mar 2014
In reply to pepperpot:

We also found the full length cover for our little life pack was good at keeping the wind out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...