UKC

If i could change your mind - Haim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Has there been a funkier sound in 2014. Great song, great band and totally different to other shit released just now. Very catchy.
Post edited at 22:21
 toad 30 Mar 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

It's been all over 6music like eczma. Not sure myself
 Blue Straggler 31 Mar 2014

I think I heard it on Radio 2 yesterday. It was nothing to get excited about.

The Pylon King 31 Mar 2014

Yeah very nice, i likes a lot:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ljg6g7BAdQo&

Thanks god for pretty girls....

....and thank god for all of us who made music in the '80s with Linn Drums and Roland Jupiters.
 The Pylon King 01 Apr 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

....and there is even a fade out.

Proper pop.
Graeme G 01 Apr 2014

Agree completely. Has to be the song of the summer.

...although does remind me of something...

youtube.com/watch?v=UGygGUfSwrs&

Mindnumbingly dull. A virtual parody of ordinariness. The rhythm is so slack, and the timing so inaccurate, that I guess it could be useful if you're suffering from insomnia.

Are you a hairdresser? Do you drive either a small SUV or a Mazda 'sports' car?

Horrible, insipid, forgettable europop.

For shame.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

What would you consider a great pop track?
In reply to maisie:

You haven't a profile so you haven't an opinion.

> You haven't a profile so you haven't an opinion.

I think your spellchecker changed 'clue' for 'profile'

It even sounds like this:

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=enpFde5rgmw

A bit.

Well, a huge range of greats, but how about these two golden oldies for starters? (includes Springsteen and Costello as well):

youtube.com/watch?v=banXBD7x5mI&
In reply to maisie:

Nope, I'm in IT and I drive a large Audi.

I am also a bit Verve, Drum and Bass, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden when it comes to music.

This track just caught my attention and the girls seemed like a bit of an oasis of fresh air and talent amongst a bunch of absolute arse in the charts today with black dudes singing about how much money they have and how the girls all sing about how they want to get back at the boys for dumping on them.

OK, so in fairness, I should lay myself open to reciprocation. What about these as decent summer tunes?

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=dSUM4kqxYPU
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=hkVKPhr_oqA
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=MKnFkKktRJA

(Beware, the last one has some of those dudes on)

Blue Straggler 01 Apr 2014

> A virtual parody of ordinariness.

I got the impression that the video was meant to be a parody. Sadly it failed to be funny or clever. It even failed to be "mean spirited".

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes, we seem to be living in a world now, not just of parodies, but parodies of parodies.
 Blue Straggler 02 Apr 2014

I think you are overthinking. This is just a dull pastiche being cack-handedly tarted up with a badly executed attempt at a "smart tongue-in-cheek" video.
Parodies of parodies have existed for a long long time anyway.

Also there is genuine earnest and original and charming music out there, and thanks to the Internet it is all quite accessible. I will email you some linkes and hopefully they'll give you faith.
Graeme G 02 Apr 2014

I wouldn't worry about the detractors. Last year I posted a link to Pharrel and Deft Punk predicting it was the song of the summer. I was universally slagged on UKC. I was right.

in my experience UKC is full of pompous music lovers who think Elvis Costello is the zenith of musical talent or the it's only real if it's it not mainstream mob. If I could change your mind is a brilliant little piece of pop and you don't need the ap
proval of UKC users to like it.
 The Pylon King 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Yep. Spot on!
 Tom Last 02 Apr 2014

Absolutely love this track - haven't seen the video & couldn't care less about it frankly.

Song reminds me of John Hughes movies
 Chambers 02 Apr 2014

I interrupted my pre-work listen to Deep Puddle Dynamics for that. Horrible! 2 minutes 46 seconds is all I could stand. I might be 50 but I'm afraid it's nothing but hip-hop for me.
 Offwidth 02 Apr 2014

Its easy to slag old people and their music, especially mail readers whom were arguably never young. Yet there are pensioners now who lived for decades for vital leading edge music on the borders (or sometimes even, on a few glorious occasions, central) to pop, of real acknowledged quality and the last decade or so really lacks something in that respect. Its not that the music is bad, it's just lacking something as a whole and the charts are probably the worst they have ever been. At best you may say charts are irrelevant now as the best music is often free and tastes have matured and widened helped by Internet accesibility but please don't say the likes of haim and daft punk, are anything more than mediocre fluff in the passage of time. They may write songs of a summer but what a barren summer that must be.
Removed User 02 Apr 2014

I wish I had seen then live when I had the chance. Had listened to the first album and it was OK but on a Glastonbury round up over Christmas they were very good live. They have been on the playing since they were kids and live you could tell that they knew how to work a show.
 wynaptomos 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Removed User:
I have a foot in both camps - the only gigs I went to last year were Seasick Steve and Neil Young (combined age of around 150...) but I still listen to a lot of the new stuff on Radio 6 and there a lot of good stuff around, including Haim.
Don't think anyone would claim that they will be regarded as legends in 50 years time but it's good quality pop music.
Removed User 02 Apr 2014
In reply to wynaptomos:

Exactly, loads of good acts kicking about in any era, but very few legends. That why they are.... errr..... legends....

I do have a laugh at people my age (50) who have selective memory of the music when we were younger.

Spot on!

> I do have a laugh at people my age (50) who have selective memory of the music when we were younger.

Indeed. Here's the top ten of 1973:

01 Dawn featuring Tony Orlando Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree
02 Peters & Lee Welcome Home
03 The Sweet Blockbuster
04 Simon Park Orchestra Eye Level
05 Wizzard See My Baby Jive
06 Gary Glitter I Love You Love Me Love
07 Little Jimmy Osmond Long Haired Lover From Liverpool
08 Gary Glitter I'm The Leader Of The Gang (I Am)
09 Perry Como And I Love You So
10 Slade Cum On Feel The Noize
 wynaptomos 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

The charts during the 70s were the worst ever until Punk started. Mind you, the best bands that everyone remembers from that period(Led Zep, Floyd etc) just never released singles.
In reply to the moaners:

Tight as a knats arse. Stepping right on the one. Sassy vid, cool girls who play instruments and move well, catchy as hell and very well produced.

If you don't like this piece of exquisite perfect pop then pop is definitely not for you.
 Mike Stretford 02 Apr 2014

> If you don't like this piece of exquisite perfect pop then pop is definitely not for you.

Nah.

Music's subjective, I think the track is decent but I prefer Pharrell's 'Happy' as pop, and neither are 'exquisite' IMO. If you're going to come out with adjectives like that you've got to consider what come before, like MJ at his best, or 'Everybody Dance'.
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> Nah.

> Music's subjective, I think the track is decent but I prefer Pharrell's 'Happy' as pop, and neither are 'exquisite' IMO. If you're going to come out with adjectives like that you've got to consider what come before, like MJ at his best, or 'Everybody Dance'.

Mentioning Michael Jackson on a music thread's like invoking Godwin's Law on a politics thread.

Seriously, this Haim thing isn't the worst, but I really don't get it as anything other than filler pastiche which will be forgotten by the end of the year. Does anybody have any context? Perhaps a place to start with their back catalogue, which might help to understand what they're doing here?
 toad 02 Apr 2014

Haim - the Wire. just on 6music. And there was me thinking Shania Twain
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Ok yes maybe exquisite is a fraction over the top. Pin sharp though.

I can't think of any current pop artists putting out music as perfect as Micheal Jackson or Prince.
 Offwidth 03 Apr 2014
In reply to wynaptomos:

Plenty of great successful singles alongside the crap and as for the two bands you mentioned with no single releases:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd_discography#Singles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_discography#Singles.2C_other_char...
 Offwidth 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

Yet further down the charts in 73 were Bowie, T Rex, The Stones, Ike and Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder etc. I wonder if your list or my list contained those that most older music loving teenagers preferred?
 Dave Garnett 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> [...]
>
> It even failed to be "mean spirited".

Excellent put down. I'll save that for later!
 Dave Garnett 03 Apr 2014
> Has there been a funkier sound in 2014.

Funky must mean something different in 2014.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...