UKC

Ski touring in Glen Shiel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 31 Mar 2014
youtube.com/watch?v=pr6Qr7RkFwA&

A short video from the weekend.
 Doug 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Thanks for that, brings back memories of skiing with the INSC (when did the name change?). Good to see they are still active even if the skis all seem much wider

and say hi to Martyn (YouTube won't let me leave a message)
OP Cuthbert 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Doug:

Will do Doug. You can join the IBSC Facebook page for updates and also follow the blog but the site appears to be down right now.

The name changed a few years ago to reflect the change in focus from nordic to anyone with an interest in backcountry stuff. It's meant the membership has increased.
 TobyA 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Nice to see lots of telemarkers!
OP Cuthbert 31 Mar 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I think it's really growing in Scotland right now and the club has a fair few. Most are still on 75mm.

The snow on Saturday was extremely challenging with sudden areas of stickiness and deceleration which as you know makes for difficult tele conditions. I can honestly say that I skied badly at the weekend in those conditions.

Check out: http://www.ibsc.org.uk/blog
 TobyA 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Some great pics on the blog!

I was discussing just the other week with a mate who is another Finnish-resident Brit that it feels like telemark is a bit less fashionable these days here. I get the feeling that tech bindings and the new generation of AT boots have ended the weight advantage of most tele gear and most people can ski harder stuff on AT gear than tele. So more people who either do - or want to - go up to Lyngen etc. are buying AT kit whereas they might have been on tele set ups 5 years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...