UKC

Ford TDCi engines 2002 to 2008 ish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 31 Mar 2014
Hello all, I've been googling and seen some reports of a reliability issue with the above mentioned engines. I'm looking to buy a family sized Diesel for £3000 and I'm terrified about wasting the money buying something rubbish that dies. Can any of you offer your thoughts on this please?
 butteredfrog 31 Mar 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Pretty reliable in IMO, don't see too many broken ones!

Adam
 Yanis Nayu 31 Mar 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

My wife has had a 2002 one for 4 years now, and we have had a few issues with injector configuration (£50 a pop to have them re-sequenced) and it's needed a cam sensor, a water pump, a turbo hose and a radiator hose.

They have issues with fuel pump failure which leads to injector failure (mega expensive to fix - over a grand I think) and the water pumps go regularly and are also expensive to fix as they are not accessible.

I think all models of cars have their issues. Ours has been expensive and has caused us more problems than the Japanese cars we've had.

Modern diesels have faults that lead to huge bills. I'll be going petrol next time.

In reply to puppythedog:

I've got a 2007 Duratorq 2.0 TDCi in my MK3 mondeo estate. It's done 108k and shows no sign of stopping there. All the issues (of which there are few) with the car have been wear and tear thinks like bearings and suspension. I would happily buy another one when this one cacks it

Cracking engine if you look after it. I never take mine beyond 3000rpm and don't do short journeys in it.
 butteredfrog 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

You've been unlucky there!

Can't say I have noticed a water pump problem, I seem change more Vauxhall pumps than Ford.

Have had some injector issues, usually down to mileage though.

Turbos are pretty good compared to VW and BMW units.

Adam
In reply to puppythedog:

One feature of these engines is that they can blow the injector seals.
If the car you are interested in smells of diesel inside then walk away.
They're not the most fuel efficient diesels going these days but are so common that their niggles are probably well known.

Same engines used in some Citroen's as well. I'm sure they are generally fine and for every "bad story" there are probably 25 boring stories of them working flawlessly.
 butteredfrog 31 Mar 2014
In reply to richard_hopkins:

Hi Richard

2002 - 2008 is the old 1.8 "Lynx" SOHC engine.

Its the later twin cam lumps that they share with Citroen.

Adam
 Andrew Wilson 31 Mar 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

A good friend of mine works at ford. I have a 2008 2.0 TDCI mondeo and it is bombproof. He says they are very reliable. He warned me not to buy the 1.6 TDCI . That particular engine has a common fault which is costly to repair (I can't actually remember what it was) and he said I should avoid it.

Hope this helps.

Andy
 dgp 31 Mar 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Had a 2004 Focus TDCi. At around 80k the dual mass fly wheel failed - apparently a fairly common fault for this particular year. Cost of repair was more than value of car!
In reply to puppythedog:

I had a Mondeo 2006 with the 2.2.

Stay clear, in my experience!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...