UKC

Riglos camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark hounslea 31 Mar 2014
Heading out to Riglos next week and wondering what the camping options are? Is it best to stay at a proper campsite or are there any tolerated wild camp sites?
In reply to mark hounslea:

We camped under a tarp at the bottom of the road to Riglos town hidden in some straw bails. I think wild camping is tolerated but we kept a low profile just in case.
 KA 31 Mar 2014

Wild camping may be quite tricky, as there's not much in the way of water available, as the fountain in Riglos seems to have been removed (or moved, but I've not seen it). Good campsite close by in Murillo de Gallego, and a very good Refugio in Riglos itself. Van camping in the car parks is currently tolerated.
 mark20 31 Mar 2014

There isn't a campsite in Riglos, quite a few climbers sleep in vans in the carpark. We slept in a layby just down the road
 jon 31 Mar 2014

Climbers used to camp right at the end of the road at the far side of the village. Unfortunately it became a shithole which was a shame. Hopefully it's been stopped now?
 Offwidth 31 Mar 2014

We slept in the car under the crag. We had intended to camp or get a room but had an epic and when we finally abbed off in a huge thunder storm, after all the combined terror we could barely move
 Dave Ferguson 31 Mar 2014
In reply to mark20:
> (In reply to mark hounslea)
>
> There isn't a campsite in Riglos, quite a few climbers sleep in vans in the carpark. We slept in a layby just down the road

There is actually a very good campsite opposite Riglos in the little village of Murillo de Gallego, its called Armalygal and is usually open from easter onwards, its about 4 miles from the crag and you can buy provisions in the village. Its got a nice little bar too, with french and spanish scrabble boards, now there's a challenge!
http://www.armalygal-camping.com/camping?lang=en
 Phill Mitch 31 Mar 2014

It is possible to camp in the field just below the refuge. Not much in the way of facilities but it is a "camp site".
 bluesharper 01 Apr 2014

As Phill Mitch said, you can camp just below the refuge. There is a nice area under trees with a wooden table and benches where a few tents can be pitched on grass in pleasant shade. There is also a small stream flowing through the campsite, good enough for washing. It is best to buy a few large 5l bottles of water for drinking before arriving to Riglos. I spent a week there last year and I recommend the place. I believe the place was used by locals when the refuge was being refurbished. I found it really pleasant. There is a short path from the campsite to the refuge, where you can buy great food and ask for a key to the shower (there are no facilities on the campsite itself). And both the camp site and the refuge are close to the main rock towers.

The place is not in plain sight (which in an advantage in itself), so it is easy to miss it if you do not know what to look for. Just before the village of Riglos the road turns right. There is a viewing point at this road bend, with two plaques commemorating Alberto Rabadá and Ernesto Navarro among others. Just after this bend there is a small unserfaced road going down and left directly to the campsite (about 200m). It is steep and uneven, so be careful if you decide to drive there, but we managed to drive there fine with a Fiat 500. There is space for two or three cars. It may be a good idea to check if it's not too busy before you drive down, as it may be hard to reverse if there are a few cars already. Having said that, we were the only people on the campsite during our week in Riglos in April last year.

We opted to stay on the campsite, but we ended up buying lots of meals in the refuge, the food was fantastic and served as a good excuse to ask for the key to the shower This can be obviously avoided to lower the cost. The people in the refuge and the refuge itself made a good impression on me, despite poor state of the shower.
freesolo 03 Apr 2014
In reply to bluesharper:

agree with bluesharper. stayed in that "campsite for two weeks" locals didn't seem to mind. but need to get water from village and refugio staff made it quite difficult to use toilet.
OP mark hounslea 03 Apr 2014

Thanks for all your info folks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...