UKC

Autumn Marathon Suggestions!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 31 Mar 2014
I was going to run Manchester, but injury took a good six weeks out of my preparation and as I would be running for a PB rather than just completing, it had to fall by the way side.

I am looking for an Autumn Marathon and I am open to suggestions. My criteria is as follows:
1. In the UK.
2. Fairly fast course.
3. No going to be a pain to get a place.
4. Not Chester, I've done it, wasn't keen on the course.

All suggestions welcome.
 yorkshireman 31 Mar 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I'm running Amsterdam in October which fulfils all your criteria except (1). The aim is to go as fast as possible and have all summer to train for it (too snowy here in the winter to get the long runs in so Spring maras suffer).

I always understood Abingdon to be a good attempt for a fast autumn marathon (at least other runners at races have always raved about it). I've never run it but know the town well and its flat, and I hear people generally get good times there. Its a small field though so you might want to move quick.
 Liam M 31 Mar 2014

Do you need crowds and people to chase? Can you cope with laps? Newcastle Town Moor is the most contrived affair possible, but is a reasonable event at negligible cost. It has the potential for being exposed, but most flat events will do.
 Chris L Hill 31 Mar 2014

Loch Ness? Arguably not a very fast course though, but it's not as slow as many say.
OP The New NickB 31 Mar 2014
In reply to yorkshireman:

Adingdon fails on criteria 3 I'm afraid, entries have already closed.
 Dom Whillans 31 Mar 2014

Berlin... I hate running, but loved doing the marathon there last year.
In reply to Liam M:

A mate had a complete nightmare at Town Moor, which does put me off, also whilst I don't mind running on my own, 4 laps would get to me.
 steelbru 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris L Hill:
From last year, Loch Ness is now classified as DH ( ie downhill ) on Power of Ten, and your time wouldn't count towards any of their rankings - which may or may not bother you, but thought I'd mention just in case.

I've not ran it, but know loads who have - although it's net downhill, there are a couple of not insignificant uphills, and combined with the battering the quads can take on the downhill sections, most folk reckon you're better with a flat course.
In reply to steelbru:

Hmm, wasn't an option anyway as the girlfriend as done it twice already and wants to do something different, but yes I want a course that will give me an official time on Po10.
In reply to Chris L Hill:

One to do a little more research in to, thanks.
 steelbru 31 Mar 2014
Highland Perthshire ( Aberfeldy ) is supposed to be pretty flat, and is nice scenery around there.

Rural country roads and 2 laps, which may or may not be what you're looking for.

6th Sept http://highlandperthshiremarathon.co.uk/
OP The New NickB 01 Apr 2014
In reply to steelbru:

Another possibility, cheers.
 NMN 01 Apr 2014

When I had pretty much the same criteria, although didn't do the marathon in the end, my decision was Mablethorpe.

Nottingham is a good one. Good atmosphere. 30th Sept
 lizard-16-07 01 Apr 2014

I'm doing the Yorkshire Marathon in October - not sure if it's sold out. Starts/finishes in York, so easy enough to get to, even on public transport (as I will be.) York is a nice place to visit as well. A flatter course than London, Paris, Chicago and Berlin, so the website says anyway.
 Banned User 77 03 Apr 2014
In reply to lizard-16-07: yorkshires full i think..

thought berlin was pancake flat? certainly about the fastest in the world.

Dublin? OK not the UK but easy to get to from Manchester.
 tony 03 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Berlin is full as well, apart from charity and tour-operator places.

One of our club members did Dublin last year and thoroughly enjoyed himself, and got a good-for-age time for London.

Kielder (5 Oct) is absolutely delightful, though not fast!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...