UKC

CWA and rope rigging.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan1898 01 Apr 2014
Ok random question, is there a liability issue with CWA holders rigging bottom ropes, specifically I have a mobile climbing tower and CWA holders without abseil module, before the wall is raised to the vertical the leader needs to thread the krabs, whilst I appreciate that this isn't hard and any competant person should be able to do this, the CWA remit doesn't mention a lot with regards to this issue. I accept that CWA AB module and SPA both have specific rigging requirements.

Has any one else came accross this issue, is it as simple as training a competant person, as part of the Wall usage internal induction?
andyathome 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Dan1898:

> Is it as simple as training a competant person, as part of the Wall usage internal induction?

Probably - 'yes'. If someone is deemed to be competent by someone who is qualified to make that judgement then 'on you go'.

CWA and SPA holders should also be competent to clip ropes to krabs!
 Hans 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Dan1898:

A 'site specific' induction, daft as it sounds, would solve all headaches I think. Any recognised qualification (CWA and beyond) will cover the issues during training (should do anyway). But I can get a proper answer tomorrow for you when I complete CWA training. I shall ask
OP Dan1898 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Dan1898:

Thanks for the updates guys, I appreciate it's a very random question.

Dan
 Paul at work 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Dan1898:

As A CWA provider, I would expect a CWA holder to be able to clip a rope through the anchor karabiner at the top of a wall, whether that be a 'normal' climbing wall or a mobile tower. They are not rigging up rope systems.

It also should be included as a wall inducton training, so they know what you expect.
 bpmclimb 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Dan1898:

In my experience, mobile walls are all different from each other, and to some extent each will have its own procedures and safety issues. The SPA or CWA will provide a useful background, but the exact details of setting up and running a session will have site-specific elements, which will need to be pointed out to instructors.
OP Dan1898 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Dan1898:

Thanks to all for the replies to date, all in line with what I expected.

Many thanks.
 Hans 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Dan1898:

So in the session today I put forward your question. The answer confirms many replies above, and things to consider include: supervisor of the tower should be able to 'vet' that 'rigging' is done correctly. If only one person working the tower, that person should either have undergone a specific induction for that equipment or should be able to legally operate the climbing lines/ropes within the remits of CWA/SPA/MIA (!) training/assessment.

If you have any doubt whatsoever I would still contact relevant professional/legal bodies as obviously I don't know your full situation or context etc etc. The above is merely kindly intended advice! Good luck with it, they're quite fun to climb/instruct on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...