UKC

Hydrophobic down?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Trebus 02 Apr 2014
Hi,

With a lot of companies bringing out hydrophobic down sleeping bags, there are some really good deals to be had on untreated down bags.

But, as I live/play in Scotland the additional weather proofing does attract me.

I know it is a relatively new technology, but what are the (informed if possible) views on the longevity of it? Is it worth spending the extra cash?

Cheers, Al
 CurlyStevo 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Trebus:
One bonus is that if you wash your bag you can get away with doing it in a more normal washing machine (depending on amount of down I guess) and drying time is a lot faster, something like 6-8 times faster in a launderette drier.

Also the down is less likely to damp out over multiple nights use as well as functioning better if it does get wet (don't think I've ever had a wet down bag but anyway!)

I treated my down bag a year or so after buying it with a nikwax product and then washed it again many years later and the hyrdophobic properties were still very noticeably better when it comes to drying times.
Post edited at 11:57
 Jack_Lewin 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Trebus:

I cannot think of a situation I've used my non hydrophobic down bag in which having the treatment would have been a plus to be honest. Maybe if I had a treated bag I could be a bit more sloppy and lazy about things I guess. Treated sleeping bags would benefit people who regularly go snow holing and get it into other similar situations more than people like myself.

The hydrophobic technology is more useful for the majority of consumers when used in jackets I would have a thought.
 CurlyStevo 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Jack_Lewin:
Untreated down can have an issue with gradual damping out if used for more than a few nights in a row, especially in humid cloudy or rainy conditions. This can make the down less warm. Hydrophobic technology should help with that.
Post edited at 12:00
OP Mr Trebus 02 Apr 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> I treated my down bag a year or so after buying it with a nikwax product and then washed it again many years later and the hyrdophobic properties were still very noticeably better when it comes to drying times.

Hmm, that might be an idea, spend less cash and just proof it.
 CurlyStevo 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Trebus:
It'll probably cost the same and not be quite as good. Washing and drying the bag the first time is pretty time consuming and expensive. You'll need a massive washing machine at a launderette and then to dry it for around 1-2 hours in a launderette tumble drier(minimum)!

I also imagine it ages the down a bit, mine seemed a bit less warm after being washed and proofed the first time. The second time I washed it as the down was starting to clog together and it made the bag fluff up better as well as warmer (although not as good as new)

I had to wash mine the first time anyway and decided to apply the down proof at the same time.
Post edited at 13:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...