UKC

Ben Nevis Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brian Pollock 02 Apr 2014
Despite the warm weather, I see from condition reports that there is still plenty of ice on the Ben. However it doesn't seem like an awful lot is getting done. In these warm temperatures is there still good climbing to be had or should I pack away my axes?
 Webster 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Brian Pollock:

I suggest waiting till mon or tues next week when the freezing level drops a tad and going and having a look yourself?
 Euge 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Webster:

> I suggest waiting till mon or tues next week when the freezing level drops a tad and going and having a look yourself?

What a crappy reply... The OP was only asking a question about conditions.

E
 moppy 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Euge:

I think your reply is pretty crappy actually. Webster is right about waiting for next week's lower temps. All we need are a few cold nights and things will crisp/freeze up nicely
 Gazlynn 03 Apr 2014

Was up there Monday and Tuesday.

Mega Cornices about and was thawing. We heard lots of creaks and cracks and apart from Tower ridge (eastern traverse slushy and thawing rapidly) we didn't see very much else being done at all.

Was warm and raining when we left Tuesday AM which wouldn't of helped.

cheers

Gaz

Euge 03 Apr 2014
In reply to moppy:
> I think your reply is pretty crappy actually. Webster is right about waiting for next week's lower temps. All we need are a few cold nights and things will crisp/freeze up nicely

Don't care what you think...

But actually your answer is more helpful.
Post edited at 11:22
 Jamie B 03 Apr 2014

It doesn't strike me as a very sensible place to be in mild conditions, but given a refreeze there will be plenty to be done if you've still got the winter psyche. Personally after a long season trying to make a dollar in tough conditions I'm ready for some cragging!
 Webster 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Euge:

thanks for your input there, very helpfull...

i told the OP exactly what he wanted to know, dont hang up the axes yet, wait till next week to see what has survived
OP Brian Pollock 03 Apr 2014

Thanks to all for your replies. Unfortunately time is at a premium and it's weekends or not at all.

Think I'll stick to cragging for the time being and keep my fingers crossed for at least one last winter tick this season.
 Euge 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Webster:

> thanks for your input there, very helpfull...

> i told the OP exactly what he wanted to know, dont hang up the axes yet, wait till next week to see what has survived

Sorry... But I just hate when people ask about conditions and they get a response which says "have a look yourself"... I've been on this site for many years and it happens quite a lot.

It wasn't personal...

E
 aldo56 03 Apr 2014

Hopefully the low temperatures coincide with the road being open!
 Nathan Adam 03 Apr 2014

Done Castle Ridge yesterday with no need for crampons or axes (or gloves for that matter), bone dry rock pretty much the whole way.

Gully lines and stuff high up in the Ciste looked to be pretty good nick still but as other have said, a good freeze is needed. Everything low down (Carn Dearg Buttress, DB, First Platform on NE Buttress) are completely stripped out now. Some of the cornices up there are absolutely huge, wouldn't be me underneath them.
redsonja 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath93:

do you know what carn mor dearg arête is like? thanks
andymac 04 Apr 2014

Anyone done the tourist track in the past few days?

Might have my first charge of the year tomorrow if the suns out.

soularch 04 Apr 2014
In reply to andymac:

From Monday, was soft snow last 300m of climb or so. Little tricky snow just where the waterfall splits the path. Extensive cover on top a lot of the new cairns are completely buried, only a few inches of the trig is visible, although the emergency shelter should be a good visual ref.
andymac 04 Apr 2014
In reply to soularch:

Think I shall give it a miss then.

Find the bit between the last cairns and the shelter a bit iffy in bad visibility.

Guardyloo gets mucho respect .
 soularch 04 Apr 2014
In reply to andymac:

Especially with the House size cornice it has just now!
andymac 04 Apr 2014
In reply to soularch:

Amazing ,even in May and the warm weather ,the poor souls who use the last remnants of snow in Guardyloo to perch on for a photo.

They wouldn't remember much if the snow moved.
 Nathan Adam 05 Apr 2014
In reply to redsonja:

From what I could see it still looked wintery and the walk up on to Carn Mor Dearg and then up the Ben afterwards will still need appropriate winter gear for a few weeks yet I think!
redsonja 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath93:

grand. thanks for your help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...