UKC

Waterborne viruses in the EU?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LucaC 03 Apr 2014
I have been looking at water purifiers for use in the uk and eu, for areas where good springs aren't available. We're talking mountain lakes from glacier melt etc. Is the threat of water born viruses really a concern here? Most mechanical purification systems don't seem to filter them out, but mechanical seems preferable over chemicals/steripen, to remove particulate as well as larger nasties.

What does the wisdom of UKC think? (cue replies of "I've been drinking from polluted lakes bellow hut latrines for 30 years and never fallen ill").
Rummmer 03 Apr 2014
In reply to LJC:

I have drunk some pretty horrid looking water from the beacons and up in scotland. My advice is clean it best you can I strained it through my t-shirt boiled it and add some purification tablets (ebay is probably the best place some of the military surplus ones) shake well and you'r off. I was always told that the harmful bacteria are invisible and not to worry too much about cloudy/dirty water if you have taken the above steps. Obviously alway try your best to find running water and you should be fine......

Hope it helps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...