UKC

Scrambles in Ireland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nik king 03 Apr 2014
Planning a long weekend in Killarney and wondered if anyone could reccomend some good scrambling to keep us out of the pub. Or a good pub to keep us out of the rain. Thanks. Nik
In reply to nik king:

It's a while since I was there but we did all the tops in the reeks in a one and found some really nice bits of rock. Great day out all told, I'd love to go back.
In reply to nik king:

Howling Ridge, Carrauntoohil VDiff (mostly easy for the grade, see it as scrambling-plus. Though I'd bring a rack).

Reeks ridge traverse from Cruach Mhor to Caher (or vice versa) - nice bit of grade 2 stuff at the eastern end though there's a flanking path option to make it easier if you must.

Beenkeragh east ridge, grade 2 (options to make easier or harder), then horseshoe onto Carrauntoohil, more like grade 1. You can make a very different day of it if you start up the front face of Stumpa an t-Saimh (often wrongly named the Hag's Tooth), the obvious very impressive peak at the base of Beenkeragh's east ridge. This gives you a few pitches of Diff - again I'd bring a rope for it, personally
 Flinticus 03 Apr 2014
In reply to nik king:

Try on here: http://www.climbing.ie/

Join the forum & ask

I imagine there's load in the Macgillycuddy Reeks
OP nik king 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks for the pointers but the v diffs are out due to some members of the group been walkers who like a bit of scrambling. Sounds like there is definately a good day out to be had though.
In reply to nik king:

A couple of potentially great days out, definitely
 Billhook 03 Apr 2014
In reply to nik king:

Howling ridge is much more of a scramble and certainly not a v.diff when I did it, although there may be the odd V.Diff move. There's also some opportunity to avoid bits too. I took my 14 year old grandson up there and he'd never been on rock before.

There's plenty more scrambling on the same location and elsewhere in the Reeks.
 goatee 03 Apr 2014
In reply to nik king:

The Hags Tooth ridge and the continuation to the summit of Benkeeragh is a fine outing and you can make it as easy or hard as you like. The Coumloughra horseshoe is a good day out and it includes the Benkeeragh Ridge which any "walker" will find very entertaining. The Horses Glen in Mangerton is a fine wild outing. Enjoy
 Iain Thow 04 Apr 2014
In reply to nik king:

As well as the main Reeks ridges mentioned above, the two spurs running up to the eastern summits from Black Valley to the south have some nice easyish scrambling, and if the Reeks themselves are clagged in then the East Face of Knocklomena is excellent (fairly serious Grade 3, but on excellent rough sandstone - be prepared to zigzag about a bit!)

Iain
 Dave Flanagan 04 Apr 2014
In reply to nik king:

Second Dan's suggestion of the Ridge Traverse and Beenkeragh.
 DannyC 04 Apr 2014
In reply to nik king:
Some great short scrambling routes (Mods) on the summit tors of Hen Mountain in the Mournes. The Devil's Coach Road on Slieve Beg is also an atmospheric gully walk. The cave on Lower Cove is fantastic at Mod - with a fantastic squeeze to finish. Might be worth bringing a torch.

Danny

*EDIT Sorry - completely missed the Kilarney element!*
Post edited at 12:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...