UKC

Kit that has well outlasted your expectations for it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 04 Apr 2014
I have a 15l karrimor ruksack that I use daily. It's my 'handbag' I guess, I always have it with me to carry bottles of water, wallet, keys and whatever bits and bobs I need for life generally. It regularly gets crammed with shopping for me to walk home from Lidl or Tesco, it goes biking when I don't need much stuff, it gets flung in the back of the car with my other kit bouncing around on it. You get the picture, it gets well used and not well looked after. It occured to me the other day that I got it nearly 10 years ago, and it has been used in this manner all that time, and I'm sure I paid around £10 for it! It is now showing some signs of wear, and if I see something of similar quality on sale then I might think about getting it for when this one does die, but I reckon there's still a good few years of life in it yet. Any bits of kit that you are amazed at their longevity compared to your expectations on buying it?
 Nath 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Buffalo 6 shirt - must be 20 years old getting a little tight now due to mid life spread but still a great bit of kit. I think it was about £40 when I bought it, lost count of the times its been worn.

Nath
 kathrync 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Rab vapour-rise top. Bought second-hand on here in about 2005 for a nominal sum. Worn on pretty much every hill-walking and climbing trip I have been on since. Survived 3 months of daily use in S America, a trip over the Cuillin, sliding down a granite slab and being shoved in a bag with crampons more times than I can count. Also used for winter running and cycling. Slightly frayed around the cuffs, but loads of life in it yet!

Generally I wouldn't be without it. When it does finally bite the dust though, I will buy one that fits me a bit better (mine is a men's one as they weren't making a lady's one back then) and isn't black
 rogersavery 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

my wife
 James FR 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

I thoughtfully scratched the date of purchase underneath my Sigg bottle, so I know it has now been going strong for 16 years. Despite a lot of dents it still seems fine, and a surprising amount of the blue coating is still attached.
SethChili 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

My cheap Karrimor KSB Munro boots . Nubuck outer , eVent Lining .

Just like an evil character from a comic book , they just won't die . I have tried everything I can think of to kill them but they survive .
They have done Crib Goch .
They have done winter grade 1 ground in scotland when coupled with microspikes .
They have done gardening and tree planting .
They have acted as Air Cadet combat boots .
I managed to run 3km in them .
They remained comfy for 27 miles over the brecon beacons .
Despite not being that well looked after they remain water resistant to a acceptable level when waxed.
They can ,when cleaned up, just about fake the casual-street-boot look when paired with jeans and a hoody .
Despite my size increasing from a 7 to an 8 since I got them , they still fit . Who knows what kind of witchcraft this indicates ?!

Amazing , and I just don't have the cash to replace them or guts to bin them .
 Clarence 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

I bought a Lowe Alpine Desertweave hoodie in the mid 90s and I pulled it out of the washer as good as new (apart from some replacement elastic) this morning. I wear it pretty much every day in the summer because it is great at keeping bus grime off white work shirts and it easily shrugs off a week carrying a heavy rucksack while backpacking. Probably the best £35 I ever spent on clothing.
 CasWebb 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

My 65l Karrimor Jaguar rucksack which was purchased over 28 yrs ago and is still going strong as my regular climbing gear sack. It came with a lifetime guarantee which has never been invoked.
 Phil1919 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

A subfour wicking top I bought in 1995. No signs of wear yet.
 Ban1 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

I brought a pair of McKinley zip off pants which I wore for best part of a 15months traveling. I only just blew the arse out last week in the peaks
 AlisonSmiles 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Aldi £2,99 children's ski gloves. Served me many a wintery walk, and only finally died two years on after a five day Alpine mountaineering course after which I ceremoniously threw them in the bin.
In reply to girlymonkey:

I bought a Berghaus Cornice jacket in 1994 - I got it cheap as last years design (It was introduced in 93) and I still wear it today. It has been re-proofed a couple of times and is well worn in places but it has developed a soft feeling that my newer stuff doesn't have. It's only really showerproof now but I am loth to part with it so I use it as my every day wear and save my others for mountain work.

On a different note I also have a totally unused pair of EB rock boots bought in Centresport in London in 1976 - still in their original EB plastic bag. Youngsters amongst you may have to ask parents about the most popular climbing footwear of that era. I bought 2 pairs for £11 each in a sale and used the other pair until a couple of years ago when I started climbing more often again.
 george mc 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Lightweight custom build rucsac designed and made by Aiguille for an alpine trip back in 1997. Adrian warned me it would not last as it was lightweight. After 15 years professional and recreational use it's still going strong. Wee bit battered but still serviceable.
In reply to girlymonkey:
Buffalo Special 6 shirt.

Bought in 1994 and still going very very strong. I have worn it for skiing, climbing in summer and winter, cycling, cold weather running, hanging out, on expeditions, working at outdoor events, long cold wet days living wild for days on end, weeks spent living in wet woods for weeks, underwater, in deserts, mountains, everywhere and anywhere. I have worn it many many hundreds of days and if the shit hits the fan in the world, I want it nearby. Utterly bombproof.
Post edited at 21:08
 Fredt 04 Apr 2014

My Chouinard Bamboo Shafted Axe, bought in 1975, and I'll be using it in Chamonix this summer.

I have some technical axes, but I shall leave them at home, just not versatile enough to be worth taking.

Timmd 04 Apr 2014
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> On a different note I also have a totally unused pair of EB rock boots bought in Centresport in London in 1976 - still in their original EB plastic bag. Youngsters amongst you may have to ask parents about the most popular climbing footwear of that era. I bought 2 pairs for £11 each in a sale and used the other pair until a couple of years ago when I started climbing more often again.

My Dad's mentioned people often losing big toe nails in EBs, due to them not being foot shaped.
 Bluebird 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

+1 for Buff 6 shirt
+1 for Karrimor Jaguar 65 - my go to sac for 30 years (and even then I bought it second hand from a surplus store). Indestructible - fond memories of using it in place of a karrimat whilst trying to sleep in a bivibag in a pond (it rained a lot overnight - was so tired I couldn't move - the jag forgave me, the goretex bivi didn't)
I must wrestle the jag back from the false widow spiders in the garage
 David Bennett 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Original Mountain Equipment Fitzroy jacket. Had it 30 years and it's still going strong.....
 Ffion Blethyn 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Another Karrimor rucksack fan here, I have one that I've been using for about 25 years.
I've heard their new stuff is shit, is this true?
 Andrew Lodge 04 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Another one for the Buffalo shirt, bought in the early 90's and it is still just as good as it was.

Also have a Paramo mountain shirt that has seen lots of service and isstill going strong.

One or the other is almost always the perfect thing to wear
OP girlymonkey 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Ffion Blethyn:

I have found their new stuff is a bit mixed. I have some really good new stuff from them, but some of their other stuff looks pretty rubbish.
 Jonny2vests 05 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

It's funny because in the past 30 years, I have only had bad experiences with Karrimor rucksacks; stitching coming loose, straps snapping, holes, I'm done with them. When asked by a Karrimor agent if I'd ever carried my bag on one shoulder, there was much breathing through the teeth when I said yes.

Any manufacturer that doesn't design that into their absolute minimum spec, has already lost, because that's what people do.

My Macpac Ascent often carries rack and ropes upto 5 times a week in summer and has outlived all comers, especially Karrimor, some by an order of magnitude.
 Bluebird 05 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Interestingly - Karrimor's old rucksac designer Aarn set up by himself a few years back... based out of NZ - his is the only sack I'd use for MMs and the like... not sure what the bigger capacity stuff is like but the 20-20l stuff is exceptional.
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yet another one for the Buffalo - bought it secondhand twenty years ago, and eventually passed it on free to somebody off here, frayed and battered but still going.

Best buy ever? A pair of zip-off trousers from eBay a couple of years ago. Three quid, and I think that included postage. Made by some fashion brand called petroleum, if that means anything to tha yoots.

When I first got them, I couldn't do the button up. So, in the realisation that I'd become a fat b*st*rd, I lost 10kg. Since then they've done duty everywhere from Himalayan trekking, through mountaineering in Morocco to backpacking in Sri Lanka. I'm wearing them now. They dry from soaking in under half an hour and pack to almost nothing. Indestructible.

Three quid. I shall weep when they finally die.

Martin
 ianstevens 06 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I have found their new stuff is a bit mixed. I have some really good new stuff from them, but some of their other stuff looks pretty rubbish.

That's because they're now owned by Sports Direct, who to be fair to them, saved the brand from death once it got a bit to big for its boots. However, they're not exactly after the premium outdoor market - so quality has slid in order to keep prices down. Still, some of their stuff is good for the money you pay - I've got one of their plastic water bottles which has been dropped multiple times down several flights of stairs and once of the top of Serengeti (15-20m ish). Still works!
 alasdair19 06 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

i used tha abused my rab Vapour rise and marmot driclime tops to a silly extent. the VR was a favourite cause they changed the design slightly and of couse my "original" was far better!?

paramo jacket....
 peebles boy 06 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Big Pack Simply Roc rucsac. 16 years old, used and abused every winter, refuses to die but smells a bit funny...
 SteveoS 06 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

My North Face softshell, worn it everywhere and on every route Looks pretty much new.
 sarahjk 07 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yet another Buffalo 6, run in it every morning through the winter, bike, climb, kayak etc. Still in great condition. Love it.
 butteredfrog 07 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:
Karrimor Alpinist 45+10, bought from the factory shop in 95. Been on numerous alpine trips, the Hymalaya twice (10yrs apart). Scrambling, carrying the shopping, overloaded with camping kit, cabin luggage, beer transporter.
It's survived crampons, falling off bikes, daily work abuse and sheep sh*t. Ok it looks a bit tatty now, the "electric blue" has faded and the buckles are scuffed, but it's still serviceable. I even washed it
I replaced it with a deuter guide 35 as my work sac last year (but that was more as a wymm than necessity).
 StuDoig 07 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Buffalo Big Face Shirt. Fantastic piece of winter gear - had it for 10 years plus and bar a small tear from a bit of over enthusastic thrutching up a granite chimney in Chamonix, still in great nick. My go to piece of gear for winter climbing or crappy weather winter days.

When I first got it, I was dubious about the whole 1 layer approach, but deffo sold on it now!

Marek 07 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Anyone remember ME's original Ultrafleece? The gray and yellow smock style one from the late eighties - early nineties? I had one of those - indestructible! Eventually had to pass it on (I've changed shape a bit since my twenties), but it's still in my offspring's wardrobe. Didn't pill, didn't tear, pretty windproof, but breathable, soft and compact (unlike the Windstopper stuff that replaced it). We won't see the likes of it again.
 The Potato 07 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Mountain warehouse softshell, £18, still as new despite being worn to work all the time.

Victorinox fisherman knife, 16 yrs old and still got plenty to give

eurohike revolution aqua rucksack, nearly time to retire after being my main pack for 8+ years and costing £30
 GrahamD 07 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Has to be a bunch of MEC branded thermal layer, thin fleece and nylon faced fleece (the original 'soft shell'). Bought in about 1998 and still in constant use.

After that its probably the Macpac pursuit although that doesn't get the use the clothing does.
 Mal Grey 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Marek:

Think I've still got mine...bought from the factory shop in around '86. Wouldn't fit now, but I believe it to be in a bag of old outdoor clothing in the loft. It was an excellent bit of kit. Still have a pair of ME Ultrafleece salopettes (the purple & turquoise ones) which work well under a dry suit.

As with others, Karrimor rucksacks. A Condor 60-80 from '96 I think, and a Hot Earth from maybe 2000. The Condor only gets used once or twice a year, but remains in perfect nick. The Hot Earth has faded and delaminated but has seen masses of use over the years, from winter walking to Moroccan trekking.

My other fave is my Rab Summit jacket from '98 I think. Still love it, would wear it every day if I could...and it wasn't so filthy!

Chris M 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Mal Grey:

Northface redpoint synthetic jacket. worn almost everyday for 10 years and looks nearly new! incredible.
 BedRock 07 Apr 2014
Also my rab vapour rise top - for pretty much the same reasons as below! Just cant do without and has been worn on endless trips for the past 9 years.

In reply to kathrync:

> Rab vapour-rise top. Bought second-hand on here in about 2005 for a nominal sum. Worn on pretty much every hill-walking and climbing trip I have been on since. Survived 3 months of daily use in S America, a trip over the Cuillin, sliding down a granite slab and being shoved in a bag with crampons more times than I can count. Also used for winter running and cycling. Slightly frayed around the cuffs, but loads of life in it yet!

> Generally I wouldn't be without it. When it does finally bite the dust though, I will buy one that fits me a bit better (mine is a men's one as they weren't making a lady's one back then) and isn't black
In reply to Marek:

> Anyone remember ME's original Ultrafleece?

I have an ME ultrafleece jacket that's over 20 years old and is still my first choice for hill days. Excellent design, great pockets, doesn't weigh much.

T.
 rousse 07 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey: Karrimor Hot Ice rucksack, bought circa 1988, apparently indestructible. I did get the rubber base replaced by Karrimor about 5 years in, but apart from that it's done brilliant service. Used in the Alps, for cragging, trips to the wall, general walking and just whenever I need a smallish, simple rucksack. A mate has one that's even old than mine!

Jimbo C 07 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Berghaus Deluge? waterproof trousers. Purchased for £35 fifteen years ago and still waterproof & breathable. They have outlasted 3 waterproof jackets.

Also, another one for old Karrimor rucksacs, I got one as a Christmas gift about 12 years ago but can't remember what it's called. It's made for cycling, it's got a really nice waist belt with big pockets on it, space for a 3l water bladder and really chunky elastic sleeves to direct your drinking tube. It even has a mesh web to carry your helmet. It looks tiny but you can get loads into it and it feels like you're not wearing it. Never seen anything like it since.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...