UKC

time to remove usless crags from list

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chriz 05 Apr 2014
This is a good point for all moderators and publishers of climbs and crags.
Ever been to Carlops or Dalmahoy Hill? What is the point? Fenced off and no access.All places that have no access for legal reasons or are in poor state ie. badly overgrown due to the lack of maintence/traffic, must now be updated on site or removed from any offical list.
 ro8x 05 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

It is my understanding crags with limited access are kept on listings, guidebooks etc to make people aware that climbing is not permitted so people do not climb there by accident.
 Offwidth 05 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

As electronic lists in particular are easy to maintain, and times change, whats the harm? On the other hand not knowing these exist could lead to ignorance of access issues. Also just because something is banned it doesnt mean it doesnt get climbed. Ive climbed on banned crags hundred of times and dont want info on them dissapearing.

I remain a strong supporter of minimal covereage of crags that really dont get any significant traffic in guidebooks and instead retaining an electronic record as its easier to update and makes the guidebooks more financially viable. Hence Harthill Quarry gets reduced coverage and Eastwood full treatment in Froggatt.
 Jon Stewart 05 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

Can we remove useless areas too? I'd like to suggest getting rid of all Peak lime quarries with a single Ctrl A Del.
chriz 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

All good points, but what a waste of time when you get there to find the place is a mess.
 kwoods 05 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

Are you trolling
chriz 05 Apr 2014
In reply to kwoods:

this is a important issue, who likes going to a climb with a good review only to find the place is a tip.
 Alun 05 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:
> this is a important issue, who likes going to a climb with a good review only to find the place is a tip.

then instead of moaning about it on an internet forum, why not get in touch with the crag moderator to try to update the description for the place? That way you can at least save somebody else from making the same mistake.

aln 05 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

Neither of the 2 crags you mention get a 'good review' on here. The poor state of the rock, and the access issues, are clearly stated.
 Doghouse 05 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:
> (In reply to Kevin Woods)
>
> this is a important issue, who likes going to a climb with a good review only to find the place is a tip.

Why don't you clean the place up while you're there then? If you did, the next person wouldn't find the place a 'tip' and would have an enjoyable day out.
 Bulls Crack 05 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

must? Who says? Why get bothered about it?
 Bulls Crack 05 Apr 2014
 petegunn 05 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

There are often many good crags where unfortunatly access is no longer allowed, the latest FRCC Eden Valley guide is testament to this. That doesnt mean to say that access may not be granted in the future. A case to look at is the ongoing Vixen Tor situation, where history of people using the crag for the last 60 years or so (walkers much longer), may be benificial to the cause.
There are also many that like these esoteric crags as it provides a good adventure, look at all the new adventures that "Choss" and "The Pylon King" have. I like to dable now and again and some superb adventures can be had at these places, it nourishes the soul
 DerwentDiluted 06 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

Define 'useless', one persons waste of space, grotty hole or dogsh!+ riddled disused railway bridge is another persons convenient training spot. Do you propose a vetting committee to debate the worthiness of UKC logbook submissions?

Things change, routes get climbed, lost to vegetation, recleaned. Access is lost and sometimes regained. The Eden valley guide mentioned above includes the Hoff and Scratchmere scar, one was banned and is now permitted one is now banned and was permitted. I see the database as an information resource to use to make my own decisions, not a recommendation of where to go. Put the information out and let people make their own mind up and possibly a little pressure will be taken off the honey pot crags overused by the chronically short of imagination.

What is the 'official list' you mention? Climbing is one of the few parts of my life where officiality has no place, keep your sense of adventure and sense of responsibility for your own decisions. If a boulder problem no taller than you holds no challenge walk past it, deride it and laugh at those on it but don't presume an authority to expunge it from the record.

CyberTaff 16 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

Personally I would like to see crag moderators updating information on crags (including route descriptions) so people can make their own choices. Don't take the crags away though!!
 Jon Stewart 16 Apr 2014
 butteredfrog 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Now that is a classic of its genre!

He is 20' tall to be fair!
 Mr. Lee 16 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

I think people who introduce pointless crags to the UKC logbook should be obliged to moderate them, else they be deleted. Is anybody planning to climb here in the near future for example?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=12350

This is actually a building in case anybody is wondering.
 Rampikino 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> I think people who introduce pointless crags to the UKC logbook should be obliged to moderate them, else they be deleted. Is anybody planning to climb here in the near future for example?

> This is actually a building in case anybody is wondering.

What's the problem with this? It takes no more than a moment or two to review it and decide if it's somewhere you want to go (or not).
 Mr. Lee 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Rampikino:
> (In reply to Big Lee)

> What's the problem with this?

Err... it's a building.

I might add my house front porch to the logbook tonight if otherwise ok. Probably worth a V0+ tick. SDS I imagine is harder.
 Bob 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Rampikino:

If you are new to an area then you might not have an idea of what's what in the vicinity so going through the list of local crags might be worthwhile. It might be useful to have a star rating for each crag along with the number of votes, then you can do a quick filter before going to look in more detail.

If I search for crags local to my house, the first hit is a major crag I can see by looking out of the window but the next is one I'd never heard of and have never seen! It's this BTW - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3864880
 butteredfrog 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Bob:

hext is one I'd never heard of and have never seen! It's this BTW - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3864880

I used to play there as a kid, good sport for a 8-9 yr old, you can walk up it with your hands in your pockets though!
 Bob 16 Apr 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

> I used to play there as a kid, good sport for a 8-9 yr old, you can walk up it with your hands in your pockets though!

About my current standard then!!
 DannyC 16 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

Didn't realise there was no access at Carlops?

Another vote for keeping everything recorded. Access changes quicker than rock does.
In reply to chriz:

Could just put in another 'advanced search' option to not show crags with say less than 10 ascents in the last year and maybe make it the default. That would tidy up the map without actually deleting the crags from the database.
 deepstar 16 Apr 2014
In reply to chriz:

The majority of crags that I have been concerned in unearthing and cleaning would probably be described by many as useless but apart from the hard work and danger involved there is also a great deal of fun.Most of the routes that we add are unimportant but occasionally a real gem of a route appears ie "Downhill Racist",it will rarely if ever be climbed but I know it's there and that makes it all worth it.
 Jonny2vests 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Can we remove useless areas too? I'd like to suggest getting rid of all Peak lime quarries with a single Ctrl A Del.

Poor old Staden.
 Jon Stewart 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> Poor old Staden.

Smartarse.

But I guess we've already lost it
 Bulls Crack 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Was it from a standing or a sitter? And was the mat used to start off? If so there could be another 20 cm of climbing to be had for some brave soul!
 jfmchivall 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Nothing wrong with climbing on buildings. Blantyre Towers is the finest mid-grade sport crag in Strathclyde, and the only guide to it is on UKC.
chriz 19 Apr 2014
In reply to jfmchivall:

thanks to all some good points raised
 Dr Toph 19 Apr 2014
In reply to jfmchivall:

> Nothing wrong with climbing on buildings. Blantyre Towers is the finest mid-grade sport crag in Strathclyde, and the only guide to it is on UKC.

Actually, its proudly covered in 7aMax. We love lowlands esoterica!
 mockerkin 19 Apr 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Was it from a standing or a sitter? And was the mat used to start off? If so there could be another 20 cm of climbing to be had for some brave soul!

He won't make it though, he's forgotten his oxygen.
chriz 03 May 2014
In reply to DannyC:

just my point

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...