UKC

Petzl Cramons bending issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Big Sender 05 Apr 2014
Just got a pair of petzl vasak crampons and used them for one day out.
Upon checking them over since, one of the linking bars is bent by about 15 degrees, and one of the front points is also bent.
This seems like a worrying amount of deformation from such little use and gives me serious concerns about their longevity.
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
 Roberttaylor 05 Apr 2014
In reply to The Big Sender:

Probably because you are such a fat chufter.
 danm 05 Apr 2014

I've got a pair of Darts and some Vasaks. No problem with either pair. They shouldn't deform at all - wear is to be expected but not bending. Either the heat treatment is off and the parts aren't as strong as they should be, or you're doing something weird with them with the fitting (although that tends to lead to parts breaking rather than bending). Get them back to the retailer.
 KiwiPrincess 05 Apr 2014

the link bar will bend, enabling you to wear with a boot thats not totally rigid. the front points wouldnt normally. i have worn mine 5 seasons without issue, normal ice and mixed use.
 3leggeddog 05 Apr 2014

Doesn't sound right at all, send them back. I cant imagine the link bar to creep that much after a day's use and the front points certainly should not bend.
 wbo 05 Apr 2014

I assume you set them up for the boots correctly? Do you have a photo of the offending crampon on its boot?
In reply to KiwiPrincess:

This isn't flexing to fit a boot, this is permanent deformation around a fixed point to the point where there is an obvious bend rather than a curved bar. The worrying thing is that the bars are not the ones that came with the crampons (still petzl bars) and they are bent aswell as the front point.
> the link bar will bend, enabling you to wear with a boot thats not totally rigid. the front points wouldnt normally. i have worn mine 5 seasons without issue, normal ice and mixed use.

In reply to wbo:

Yeh they were fitted to nepal's with no issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...