UKC

1st marathon next sunday...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Jones 05 Apr 2014

Yikes!

running the London Marathon next sunday, 1st marathon ever.

I've had to stop running for the last month due to IT band issues. I'd got up to 20 miles by that point. Will I die next weekend?

Does it take a while for the London Marathon to get going due to all the people? i.e the 1st few miles will be super slow pace?

Got any advice on how to get through in one piece?

Oh, and I was going to get out tomorrow to see how the legs are doing. How far do you reckon I should go for? I'm thinking half marathon distance? or is that too far?

I'm also running for Mountain Rescue England & Wales, I'd be very grateful if you could spare some pennies.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPro...

Thanks (form all of us running)
Post edited at 20:03
 DancingOnRock 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

I'm doing 7-8miles tomorrow. Max.

I went out this morning and did 7. Was humid and hard work. I hope it rains in the next few days. It was supposed to rain today and again tomorrow. No sign yet.

Good luck. It's going to be mad.
 Uluru 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

I'm only doing my first marathon this year too. But what I have been told by my friend, who is also a running coach and a 2:35 marathoner, is don't try to make up for lost mileage in the last week.

You are much better off getting to the line fresh than trying to squeeze in more mileage.

My longest run in the week before my marathon is 6 miles, I personally wouldn't run anywhere near 13 miles.

20 miles is a good distance, I have a friend who is also coached by my friend who is doing Brighton tomorrow, her first marathon, her longest run is also 20 miles as she has had injury problems for the last month.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
OP Jon Jones 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Uluru:

Thanks, good advice. Maybe just a 10k tomorrow.

With the IT band pain, it was getting to feel like I was being stabbed in the knee on every stride. If this comes back next week can I just run through it? i.e. it'll hurt like hell but not get any worse?
 Uluru 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:
http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/itbs-iliotibial-band-syndrome

Hi Jon, there is some good information on the Runner's World website, link above. It does seem to indicate that you should stop running or the problem can become persistent

OP Jon Jones 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Uluru:

Balls that's not good!!

Maybe I'll go hell for leather next week, get it out of the way then take the summer off to recover.

Stupidly I've entered the Snowdonia Marathon next October too....
 Uluru 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

It's not. Sorry

Good luck for next week, hope you make it through.

That is very brave! I know a couple of people who have done it and they said it was amazing, so fingers crossed you stay uninjured.
 DancingOnRock 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

Have you been doing ITB stretches? Google them. They may give you some help.
 iccle_bully 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

You'll be fine, the crowds will get you through, stick some brufen in your pocket if you're worried. Don't walk round the expo the day before too much. Warm up properly. I was running at my own pace right from the start, it's really well set up to cope with the numbers. Good luck and enjoy.
OP Jon Jones 06 Apr 2014
In reply to iccle_bully:

I did 8 miles this morning, went well. IT Band didn't twang at all.

Looking good for next weekend. Not going even think about any kind f finishing time, just enjoy it
 SouthernSteve 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

re: may go health for leather

I would 'taper' before the race, even though you haven't done a lot recently. Stretch and use a foam roller as much as possible this week and if possible get a physio to massage the hell out of your ITBs Monday or Tuesday. Running large distances will not help in the week before a race. If you are not using a foam roller get one now!
OP Jon Jones 06 Apr 2014
In reply to SouthernSteve:
Yep, got a foam roller.

I was thinking whether to go for a sports massage on Tues/wed. You reckon it'd be worth it?

What do people do about food?

I took a bag of Jelly Babies on my last 20 mile run. I scoffed the lot by mile 16 and was getting quite hungry by the end.

Pork Pie in the back pocket?
Post edited at 21:12
 DancingOnRock 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

I'm going for a protien bar at 6miles then a jelly baby a mile from mile 10. They're about 5g of carbohydrate each so I think 10 an hour is supposed to be the optimum

It's quite late in the day to be worrying about race day nutrition.
 Wilbur 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

Good luck! I ran it last year and it was an incredible experience.

The start doesn't actually slow you down in terms of congestion. It gets congested when blue and red sections converge (7 miles?)

Re nutrition you shld only use something you have used before when running. I used clif shot bloks on the day but also had used them throughout training.

Don't use gels AND lucozade unless you want to get a bad tummy!
 Banned User 77 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

Just a light massage/assisted stretching that late on. I'd not risk deep tissue.

Keep stretching the IT and as soon as you feel it stretch.

But if it gets agony, dont be a hero, DNF. ITBS is inflammation, it won't go away, the worse it gets the longer you are out and it can be a huge huge issue.

People will give the money regardless so dont cause long term injury.
In reply to Jon Jones:

light massage.......thank for your post

www.visavietnam.net.vn
 Phil1919 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

Pace yourself. Go off slow for first half of race and you won't regret it. Chat to people whilst you are running, especially in first ten miles.
OP Jon Jones 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

thanks for the advice.

gonna set off like a snail, then beast it to the end
 iccle_bully 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

In terms of food, I had a couple of gels in my pocket and my family gave me a banana and a couple more at mile 15. Having a partner who's a climber meant he could get high up on a wall to spot me coming then point out where I was to my folks and vice versa!
OP Jon Jones 09 Apr 2014
In reply to iccle_bully:

I bought a high 5 race pack cheap from Chainreaction, it's got a load of gels and drinks etc.

Also a camelbak waist bag to carry them all. Might take a pork pie too!

I've used the above gels during mtb races so I'm hoping I don't squitt all over the road
 iccle_bully 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:
Sounds like you're all set - I would just say be prepared to ditch the waist bag if it starts to rub, especially if you haven't run in it before. You'll be amazed what rubs when you go that far, even tried and tested kit!

Like I said before, the best advice I can give to anyone is relax and enjoy the experience, soak up the atmosphere and keep your head up, look around you and use the crowds.

Good Luck!
Post edited at 18:12
Sreapadair 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

Jon, Before I ran my first marathon I had only run 16 miles in training and I survived (it took me 4hrs 50 mins which isn't fantastic but not bad either). Despite the steep (up)hill at mile 18. The start of the marathon was downhill and most people took off at a hell of a pace but I held back. Pacing yourself is key. I took ibuprofen before and during the race and didn't hit "the wall" until the last mile.
You'll do well and you will be delighted with yourself afterwards and about all the money you've raised. Very best wishes to you.
 Banned User 77 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

why drinks? i'd carry nothing, just a few gels but youll get food en route
Sreapadair 09 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Iain - we agree Carry as little as possible. The only thing I carried besides ibuprofen was a phone which gave me access to radio and Radio 1 with Fearn Cotton and Hugh Stephens got me though.
OP Jon Jones 09 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

I was going to carry a Bottle of energy drink and grab waters along the way. Also all the energy gels would go in the pack.

You've got me worried now that it'll chaff me to hell!!

I ran 20 in a camelbak rucksack, I'm only not wearing that so people will see the huge "Running for mountain rescue" on my back...
Sreapadair 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

Jon, don't worry about chaffing - just get loads of Vasaline or something similar all over
OP Jon Jones 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Sreapadair:

I'll be greased up like a kipper!!

is walking/jogging 1.5 miles to the start advisable? or will I peak too soon?
 Banned User 77 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:
You get energy drink… ive done 2 big city marathons and a few halfs snd always got gels plus at boston the suppott gave you do much…

boston was incredible… gutted i never entered

Walk to the start… butget there at least 45 mins before… soak it up enjoy it for what it is…
Post edited at 20:21
 Wilbur 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

Sports drink and gels? I wouldn't advise it unless you want the squits!
 Guy 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

Don't try and run it at Ryan Halls pace. This made me chuckle:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v0jYFDv8kSc

Uluru 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Guy:

> Don't try and run it at Ryan Halls pace. This made me chuckle:-

That's great! They should do something similar for Mo's marathon pace at VLM.

Someone was telling me the other day in order to run Paula Radcliffe's world record time, you would have to run every 100m at 19 seconds. Which sounds OK at the beginning but apparently people tried to do this over a two week period, which equalled 30 lots of 100m per day. Most didn't make it past the first day!
It's amazing how quickly these elite athletes can run.
 Fredt 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

When I used to run marathons, I would stop running 3 weeks before the event.

Just a bit of swimming and cycling, but no exertion.
 Guy 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Uluru:

I know I can't run a mile at 4:45 pace.
 Banned User 77 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Uluru:

Only in Britain would she be more famous for DNF's, crying and shitting in the street than being a 2:15 marathoner.. she was and is miles ahead of anyone on the scene.. even 2:25 now puts you at the front in many races.
 yorkshireman 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Sreapadair:

> The only thing I carried besides ibuprofen was a phone which gave me access to radio and Radio 1 with Fearn Cotton and Hugh Stephens got me though.

Don't you think running 26 miles is suffering enough?

In reply to Jon Jones:

It looks like the weather will be good but you will be chilly at the start - so take some disposable clothes for while you're waiting around on Blackheath and in the start pen. Either old tracksuit you can chuck away - or cut head and arm holes out of a black plastic bin bag to keep the wind out.
 Uluru 11 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

It's really sad isn't it. She is an amazing runner. Hope she does manage a comeback next year.
 The New NickB 13 Apr 2014
In reply to Fredt:

> When I used to run marathons, I would stop running 3 weeks before the event.

> Just a bit of swimming and cycling, but no exertion.

Whilst that might work for some, for most that would counterproductive.
OP Jon Jones 14 Apr 2014
In reply to The New Nick

So I did it!!

finished in 4.55. Bit slower then I'd have liked but considering the lack of training it's pretty good.

I'd only been running 1 every 2 weeks for about a month and then had most of last month off due to IT band issues and a dodgy stomach issue.

I just dawdled along for most of it, got to 23 miles and had a 2nd wind. Went steaming off. The Virgin Website says I overtook 700+ people in the last 7k!

Legs are getting pretty stiff now. My quads are the worst. Also a really deep blister under the toenail on my 2nd biggest toe. Will be fun sorting that out. Any suggestions on when to pop it?

Went for a sports massage last friday, I think saved the day totally!
None of the aches and pains that have plagued me all years were there.

All round a top day.

Now, time to work on speed before the Snowdonia Marathon in Oct (and hills!)
 Banned User 77 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

well done, I think Snowdonia is easier than a flat marathon, scenic and a much more logical loop.. so mentally it goes quicker.. I love it.
OP Jon Jones 15 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Have you ran it in the past?

How'd you find going up Llanberis Pass? Seems like it'll just be a long plod then recover down the other side.

I've mtb'd the whole route back in my youth, when I grew up in that area so know the course well.

Banned User 77 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:

Four times, 3:04, 3:01, 2:57, 2:51 I think my times were.

Its not that slow, for me 8 mins maybe 10 max.

I lived in Nant so up the pass was a very common run, its fairly fast. It now starts on the edge of llanberis so has a fast 2 miles.. the hill only starts at Pont Cromlech really then its 1.3 miles to PyP.. its never that steep, dont think it ever exceeds 10%, so its not bad at all.. from there just fast feet, dont go too fast but dont break... you now use the old track beneath the main road down to nant gwynant, its better as it is much much safer, but you have a short sharp climb back to the road and then flatfish, gradually down hill to Beddgel.

I reckon the next stage is about the hardest part, especially if you want a fast time, you have to climv well to pont cae'r gors, its not steep but slows you.. but if you have enough training in your legs the back section through betws garmon is OK. just flat.. you then have a short sharp climb into waunfawr and then the big climb which is bloody hard.

You used to do a loop in llanberis at the end which had a hill in it but you now just finish in the village high street. So Crest over the top and fast feet down again.. thats a lovely section. I always wear road shoes, no matter what the weather and have only had one fall despite the grass and mud at the last track section.
OP Jon Jones 15 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

wow! good times you've set there!

thanks for the info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...