UKC

Pushing my grades

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 keepguessing 05 Apr 2014

I'm 16 i have been climbing for 5 months and im on sighting at a 6b/6b+ in the gym any tips for pushing my grades into the 7's i have become a little obsessed with climbing at the moment i have started climbing with a bit more "style" and getting better with my technique. So in conclusion, any tips?
EDIT: When i say technique i mean throwing my body around i have the basic technique covered like not climbing with my arms but with my legs.
Post edited at 20:28
 Dandan 06 Apr 2014
In reply to sebflynn:

Keep climbing. Lots. Watch videos, read books, climb with better climbers or spy on the good ones at the gym and you will pick up some ideas of good technique, but mostly just keep climbing.
Get your BMI to somewhere near the low end of the healthy range if it isn't already.
Climb some more.
Don't worry about training schedules, campussing, system boards or any of that, you don't need it to get into the 7's and you are likely to just injure yourself.
Climb some more, and have fun!
 Nick Russell 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Dandan:

> Keep climbing. Lots.

Seconded. Make sure you mix it up a bit: a good variety of routes/bouldering, indoor/outdoor is better than doing the same routes at the same wall every week.
 ericinbristol 06 Apr 2014
In reply to sebflynn:

Learn how to redpoint. Climb with someone who already redpoints at least F7a. You will soon tick F7a.
OP keepguessing 06 Apr 2014
In reply to sebflynn:

I should be able to make quick progress i currently climb 3 times a week (the most i can) so i should be able to make good progress i think i am going to put a bit of money into improving my technique. I am pretty lean as far as body type goes and i'm having no issues with gripping the holds so i have decent finger strength i really struggle with dynamic movements i just cant get any height. any tips for getting higher with dynamic movements the place i climb dosnt really go for dynamic movements to bump up the grade just throwing you weight around on terrible holds. :P
 Nick Russell 06 Apr 2014
In reply to sebflynn:

> any tips for getting higher with dynamic movements

Do some bouldering. I'd be very surprised if the bouldering area (whatever wall you go to) doesn't have some dynamic problems. If your local wall doesn't have any bouldering, find another one... Appreciating that this isn't always possible (practical), you could try eliminating holds on the routes. That is, declare some holds "off route", therefore requiring bigger movements.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...