UKC

Climbing in Cantabria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 05 Apr 2014
As my daughter is currently working in Santander, I wondered f anyone has any knowledge of a source of information on climbing nearby. I did visit Ramales which looked very good and did a couple of routes but I could'nt find a guide or topo
 Alun 05 Apr 2014
In reply to JimR:

Cantabria is not very well known for its climbing, as it is rather overshadowed by the magnificence of the Picos de Europa, just over the border in Asturias. If you want to go there (and I suggest you do!) then it is easily day-trippable from Santander, I would imagine.

That said, Cantabria itself it does appear to have some decent sport climbing (we're in Spain here, after all!) and this site seems to be rather comprehensive:

http://www.envertical.com/

(in Spanish, naturally. As a specific hint, "escuela" in climbing terms is translated best as 'crag').
 Alun 05 Apr 2014
In reply to JimR:

Incidentally, and if I may ask, how is daughter finding Santander? In the past we have discussed a move to the north, but it's never gone further than that.
OP JimR 05 Apr 2014
In reply to Alun:

She likes it there, not many people with much english around though. I've been across a couple of times and really enjoyed it there, its got a nice feel to it. It rains a lot there, though.
 Robin Woodward 06 Apr 2014
In reply to JimR:

Hey Jim, my sister is an English teacher operating just south of Santander and knows the region pretty well, but isn't a climber. I've been trying to get her to put up some stuff about climbing as her Spanish brother-in-laws are pretty keen and have some local knowledge. Check out her blog for some general tourist advice, and she may be able to get you some more info if you contact her through the blog(also on Facebook).

http://ratoncantabria.wordpress.com/

Have done bits of sport around where she lives in Reinosa, they seem to have little crags all over, but as Alun said, some of the best stuff is in the Picos, particularly naranjes bulnes (can't remember spelling)
which has been something I've wanted to get on for a while. Only 1hr 30 ish from Santander to the cable car up into the mountains near Potes, which is an easy walk to some of the big stuff.

If you do head that way there is a guy just on the north edge of Potes who runs a climbing shop with a small bouldering wall in who's got all the local knowledge (including loads of pencil drawn topos in binders), and speaks really good English. He's told us some of the roadside crags when we'd been there in winter, and hired via ferrata gear pretty cheap too. Might be able to dig out his number if you're interested.

Also the drive to Potes is up a pretty cool gorge, with some interesting rock obstacles, almost worth it on it's own.
 Vince 06 Apr 2014
In reply to JimR:

I've never been but thought this might be useful.
http://rocaverdeclimbing.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...