UKC

UKC Fat Club Week 14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 06 Apr 2014
UKC Fat Club is not a substitute for giving up pies and beer but to use in addition to such self denial as a motivational tool for all.

This training article by Dave Macleod includes a section on dietary advice from a climber's point of view:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=317

A new thread is posted each week on Sunday for anyone to jot down their previous week's sins, noting goals, successes and failures and to swap ideas.

Anyone interested in starting is very welcome but you should aim to post each week, every week, however little or much you have eaten.
By making such a regular public record of your activities and by restating your goals every week this will hopefully
improve your eating habits to help achieve your weight loss/maintenance goals whatever the level of your current blobbiness.

Link to last week's (13) thread:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=582892

Apologies to UKC Fit Club for the shameful plagiarism in this thread!

Another two fallen by the wayside this week.

Sleepy_trucker - down a pound and climbing a couple of times. Nice one.
VS4b - knocked off bike! Glad not too bad. Then family in head on collision. Not suprised weight loss not featuring heavily in week's priorities.
practicallypixie - 9st 12lb. That's a pound or two off isn't it? Shame about your friend.
AndrewW - normal service resumted.
waterbaby - you know you're struggling when you start measuring weight gain/loss in grammes!
Fatclimber - still in Sardinia. Sounds like fun.

Have a good week everyone.

Sleepy_trucker 06 Apr 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Not a fantastic week, I'm back up at least a pound but I've had other things to worry about - namely crawling around under my car and removing the engine only to find it's replacement (from ebay) is in an even worse state.

Unfortunately, this is going to get in the way for a couple of weeks now but I've got a week off after easter and hoping to spend most of it walking / climbing and as far away from the biscuit tin as possible.
 waterbaby 06 Apr 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Weight day is tomorrow, I'll report back then.

Fell down the stairs on Thursday, feeling sore so having 2 rest days.

Apologies for not posting last week , I thought I would be in time this morning.
not a good week +2 lbs
Had a week off work, ate and drank too much.
I don't seem to have a middle of the road, when it goes bad it goes terrible.

Back on track this week though, hopefully.
Also formulating plans to build a small wall in the garden.

Exile 07 Apr 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

12 stone this morning - tired from too much work and a 'leaving do' has led to eating too much, need to get it under control.
 waterbaby 07 Apr 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

After a pretty good week on the food front I've lost 1.3kg/ 2.8lbs since last Monday. Still at least another 7kg until I'll be happy.

My ribs are sore from my fall, so no kettlebells until better. I think archery yesterday aggravated them.

In reply to AndrewW:

Still at 9st 12lb but lots of exercise planned for this week. Diet should hopefully be better too! I think I am putting on muscle from the routine by physio gave me...so there might be more fat loss than I think!

Hope you recover quickly from your fall Waterbaby.
In reply to AndrewW:

Btw - I know most of you are much more experienced climbers than me and are probably not looking to get stronger but, if you are, I recommend getting some suspension training straps (got some by WOSS for £30 from Amazon). They seem to be making much more of difference than weights or just bodyweight exercises for when I can't get out climbing.
 VS4b 07 Apr 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Diet has not been a focus this week. Now at 251.5lbs, up 1 lb so not bad given recent events. Family recovered/ing and I managed a short trip (25miles) on my bike yesterday for the first time since crashing so things are on the up!
 Sleepy_trucker 07 Apr 2014
In reply to practicallypixie:

Just looked at the picture of those straps - that'd REALLY hurt if something slips/snaps! lol. They look good but not something you can use indoors?
In reply to Sleepy_trucker:
Yeah - I am a bit worried about that, but I've done a few exercises on them and felt pretty stable.

You can put them on your door - there is an attachment that you put over a door....you then shut the door and, provided the door stays shut, you can use the straps on the other side. That's probably hard to visualise, but it works! However, there are some exercises you can only do if the straps are suspended from above you (over a beam, tree or from a hook in the ceiling).

I am feeling it in my core and arms just after doing a few 15 min sessions!
Post edited at 11:05
 waterbaby 07 Apr 2014

I had something similar, that I used to do woodchops with, probably not as good as those. Guess what mine snapped in use...ouch that REALLY hurt!

Sleepy_trucker 08 Apr 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

Yeah I bet! Don't get me wrong though, they do look good and a review from a real person counts for a lot, just looking at people pulling hard on a piece of elastic aimed straight at themselves made me cringe.

They need a "flag" on the elastic, some tow ropes have them - if the rope snaps, the flag puts some resistance on it in the air so it's not as dangerous.

While were on the subject of training though, years ago I was on a plan by the Canadian Air Force. The 5BX (5 basic excersises) for men. And there's the XBX for women, it's a book (can be downloaded free if you search) with charts, for men it's 5 excersises and gives how many of each in the chart. You start off right at the bottom which is exercises your granny could do, when you feel ready, you go up a step which adds a rep' here and there. The 5th exercise is a walk/run or run on the spot which also gets harder as you work through the charts. Sounds boring but I found it really easy because you choose when you're ready to go up a step. If you do the on the spot run, the men's version only takes 11mins a day, I'm not sure about the women's one. Both men's and women's can be done in a small room. Gets my recommendation anyway

Oh, mine aren't elastic! They are just straps. The resistance comes from you own body tension and weight...which, with my weight to strength ratio, is what makes it bloody hard work!

Will check out the XBC routine. I need to get my cardio up too....become quite lax with that.

Ah, sorry I assumed they were elastic. Not quite as scary now I know that.

Motivation's my problem, I just can't find any real interest in any form of exercise apart from the few things I enjoy. I was on the 5bx for two years though and came to quite like it.
Andy Gamisou 08 Apr 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Couple of pounds back on. Dash it. Must do better. Probably due to not being able to do much exercise last week, but keeping up the usual callory intake.
 Andy Hardy 08 Apr 2014

5BX sounded intriguing, so I did a quick google - http://gregsadetsky.com/_files/5bx-plan.pdf

Can't see why a separate version would be necessary for women though.
Can you change your climbing routine to make it more aerobic? Or are you not managing to get out/to the wall enough?

I've also found that just setting a up a spreadsheet (or just list - I'm a geek) of my exercise and diet goals and logging in it every day helps keep me focused. If I am ticking something off each day it makes me feel more motivated. I also promise myself a treat if I manage to acheive a big goal (got a nice new rope waiting for me at the moment for a climbing goal).
Post edited at 11:41
In reply to 999thAndy:

Perhaps because it is old and sexist....though may well be effective..

It is old, my coach used it when he was shooting at olympic level in the 70s and 80s and insisted those he was coaching did the same. So yeah, it would have been devised by a military before that.
 Andy Hardy 08 Apr 2014

You have a coach? What are you doing in the fat club? Sack him straight away!
In reply to 999thAndy:

I think "fat" is based on self perception and relativity in this group (i.e. I am at most slightly tubby and compare myself to my 5"2' climbing peers, who have the figure of Sasha DiGiulian).

Also, I have climbed with "Fatclimber" who I certainly wouldn't describe as fat (just not as "slim"...). That said, I haven't seen him since he ate, drank and climbed his way through Sardinia
In reply to 999thAndy:

Not now, years ago and for target shooting not climbing. A decent level of fitness was expected of us and that was how they expected us to get there.
 Fatclimber 08 Apr 2014
In reply to practicallybutnotreallythatshortpixie:

Slightlytubbyclimber would just be too long a user name
Just managed my first 6c boulder problem
So despite the weight not coming off as quickly as planned, I do seem to be getting stronger. Hopefully this will encourage me to hold back on the vino.

Andy Hardy 09 Apr 2014

Sorry I missed the winky thingy (again)

Interesting discussion was had by some friends at the w/e on the perception issue - she had some non-climbing mates who commented on how thin all her climbing mates were (by comparison with themselves) - this is one of the reasons I lurk on this thread rather than commit to giving up pies and ale, at most I need to shift about a stone but can't help feeling it would be about vanity rather than athleticsm if I do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...