UKC

Crimea Pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I went out on my bike on Friday afternoon, the weather looked dry so i was undecided between cycling or climbing. After a poor performance climbing earlier in the week I decided on going for a ride. I planned a route of about 60 miles with a significat climb up the Llanberis pass but then obviously things would get easier as the pass is one of the most difficult climbs around here.(wrong)

So i had my beans on toast, donned my Lycra and set off. With a long journey ahead i took things steady. The climb up the Llanberis Pass went quite easily, pleased with my performance i proceded to bomb it down to Betwys y Coed,
Things were going well but i hadnt done any kind of reccy for the next part of the route. I guessed it wouldn't be too hard as once you've been up the pass, nothing usually seems quite so difficult.
As i make my way past Dolwyddelan i notice a considerable climb going up to a blind corner. So i put the effort in, get out the saddle before the corner and then the imensity of the task I'd undertaken unveiled itself. Oh my great giddy aunt. I didn't know this monster existed.

Ashamedly, after about 3/4 of the climb i had to put a foot down and regain some composure, however i was so knackered i just fell fell over! After a short respite i got back on and finished.

The drop down into Blenau Ffestiniog was amazing and the rest of the circuit through Porthmadog and up to Caernarfon went without drama.

Lessons learned:

If taking a new road dont just look at a line on a map, check its gradient so you know whats coming

There are bigger hill climbs in North Wales than the Llanberis pass.

Never stop when you're going up a big hill. Just suck it up on rule no.5.

If you cycle around North Wales check out the Crimea Pass on your next big ride. Unbelievable.
Post edited at 09:16
 jezb1 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Good effort, I feel light headed driving up the Crimea Pass...
 Rory Shaw 06 Apr 2014

Much better to come back over the Rhyd hill to Garrog then Beddgelert - Waunfawr - Llanberis
 ewar woowar 06 Apr 2014
I have only gone over it going from Maentwrog back through Blaenau.

You start at nearly sea level and there are two steep climbs.

The run down the side you climbed is super on really good tarmac and I have cleared over 50mph down there.

A great circuit which ever way round you go.
Post edited at 16:46
 malky_c 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw:
Rhyd road is great. As a continuation on the theme, I'd recommend the little road up from Prenteg to Golan Woolen Mill. Annoying gates but very scenic and steep.

The high passes further south are good fun too. I remember doing a great route down to Caernarfon, then Porthmadog and Trawsfynydd, before climbing over the high road over to Llanuwchllyn. Then it was Bala, and back roads to Pentrefoelas, before heading home to Anglesey on the A5. Probably my longest day out.

If you can do a circuit that includes Bwlch y Groes and Dina's Mawddwy, I'd recommend that too. Some of the best cycling in Wales is in south Snowdonia and Mid Wales.
Post edited at 21:09
 The Potato 06 Apr 2014

The ffestiniog - ysbyty ifan is also a nice leg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...