UKC

Sheffield Half Marathon Cancelled

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26910318

The event was cancelled but in the end 80% of runners said what the hell and ran anyway (according to a couple of friends' estimate who ran the race).

The water supplier apparently screwed up but a big well done to Sheffield! When the word got round, the general public and other supporters bought water and handed it out along the course. Great spirit.
 Yanis Nayu 06 Apr 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Bloody ridiculous - can't people run 13 miles without a drink?
 DancingOnRock 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
Some can. That kind of race will have fun runners, some out there for 2 to 3 hours.

The ARC regulations say races over 10k must have drinks stations not more than 5k apart.

I usually carry my own anyway, hate the madness at the drink stations and wastage.
Post edited at 14:22
 deepsoup 06 Apr 2014
The company supplying bowsers failed to turn up. Organisers "scoured supermarkets" for bottled water.

Eh? Sheffield does have taps.
 Chris the Tall 06 Apr 2014

> Bloody ridiculous - can't people run 13 miles without a drink?

I certainly couldn't

I ran my first two 10Ks last year and was very thirsty by the 5k water station. But having to take a plastic bottle really annoyed me - I hate them. I suppose some elite athletes would be paranoid about tap water but surely most of us would be quite happy with a paper cup of it.

I gather that's what happened today anyway - lots of impromptu water stations with people with jugs. Well done to all those who helped out.
 deepsoup 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> But having to take a plastic bottle really annoyed me - I hate them.

Have you seen this stuff in supermarkets?
http://www.fijiwater.com/

It's bottled at source - in Fiji!

Hilariously, there's a load of guff on the label about how eco-friendly the company is.
 ewar woowar 06 Apr 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

You'd be better off with a couple of bottles of Peckham Spring!
 Banned User 77 07 Apr 2014

yeah that rule is pretty strict, rightly so, but how hard to put water out...

it's also just easier, you can buy in water bottles and just hand out.

But yeah you do want sealed water, but elites will have their own.

My worry today will be litter, will they still clean the area.

Awful organisation. Even if it wasn't there fault there was no water there should be a plan B at least. 5000 runners isn't many.

Chris the Tall 07 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Apparently the problem was with the supply of bowsers, so I presume they were trying to avoid the use of plastic bottles. Unfortunately this fiasco is probably going to lead to other organisers going to make more use of bottles, which is a pity.

I do feel for the organisers though. The obvious plan b would be to buy water from local supermarkets, but that's difficult at 8am on a Sunday morning. And apparently some runners were taken to hospital with dehydration.
 The New NickB 07 Apr 2014

> Bloody ridiculous - can't people run 13 miles without a drink?

Yes, I regularly do. There is a big difference between just running and racing, I always use the water stations at races. I rarely drink much, but I find swilling my mouth and also using the water to clear salt build up from my face really helpful.

I would not be happy if I turned up at a race and the drink stations were not as advertised.
 wilkesley 07 Apr 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Why couldn't they just announce at the beginning of the race that because the bowsers hadn't turned up there would be no guaranteed supplies of water en route. Then people could make their own decision whether to run or not. I suppose yet again H&S has overruled people's right to make their own decisions.
 dr_botnik 07 Apr 2014

Sheffield city council; carnt even organise a water fountain in a rain shower.
In reply to wilkesley:

The race insurance will be dependant on the race licence, as others have said the race licence will dictate a need for water stations.

Neil Williams 07 Apr 2014

"And apparently some runners were taken to hospital with dehydration."

Given that you can't force people to drink (and while I've never done a marathon, I have done a good number of long-distance endurance walks, and the more tired you get, the more you can't be bothered to eat and drink, so I guess it's similar), that's going to happen at any marathon.

Neil
In reply to wilkesley:

People can run 13.1 miles any time they like, people were paying for a race, which it seems the organisers couldn't provide.
In reply to wilkesley:

That might not be a bad idea. If they had then also put out on the local media (radio etc) that this was the case, I imagine there would have been even more local support. I agree it wouldn't have been on to continue as if nothing had happened, only for heavily dehydrated people not to have been able to get a drink. Some might have decided not to run, while others might have decided to run anyway but minus fancy dress, for example.

But I bet their insurance would have kicked off if, for example, a local had given out mucky water and people had got ill.

This kind of thing is, in the end, down to peoples' desire to sue for everything, IMO.

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:

> "And apparently some runners were taken to hospital with dehydration."

> Given that you can't force people to drink (and while I've never done a marathon, I have done a good number of long-distance endurance walks, and the more tired you get, the more you can't be bothered to eat and drink, so I guess it's similar), that's going to happen at any marathon.

It was a Half Marathon, there is a world of difference between a marathon and a half marathon.
In reply to The New NickB:

Sorry, I stand corrected.

That said, a half is going to encourage more inexperienced runners to just give it a go than a marathon, I reckon.

Neil

Apparently a 21 year old man stopped breathing at the event and had to be put on life-support, though is now recovering.

He wasn't aware of the cancellation or water-shortage - poor communication at the stage appears to be a common complaint.

Obviously this sort of thing can happen even when there is sufficient water, and people have also been known to suffer from over-drinking.

I guess the effect of this will be to put more pressure on race organisers to foresee every possibility.
In reply to wilkesley:

Once there was no water the RO HAD to cancel. That is simple and unavoidable. The medic advised against the race, and they also had no choice. The rules on water are clear.

Imagine a fell race where the MRT advise against it starting and it goes ahead and then people need rescuing..
 john arran 07 Apr 2014

> From bad to worse.

That seems absurd to me. Yes I know that costs have to be covered somehow but I would have thought all significant organised events like this would need to have insurance for unforeseen difficulties. Then it should be up to the insurance company to seek to recoup their payout from the offending supplier.
In reply to john arran:

I'd have thought at least a partial refund would be in order, but the road closures still had to be paid for, and the goody bags were still handed out. At least I assume the people I saw last night wearing t-shirts had finished the race !
 Tony the Blade 07 Apr 2014

> From bad to worse.

Shouldn't the bowser/water (non)supplier be held accountable rather than the organisers?
 Rampikino 07 Apr 2014

Could I ask how you think this is relevant? Even if it is true this kind of thing happens at races and I doubt that it has anything to do with a lack of water.

It's the kind of thing that gets jumped on to help sensationalise a news story by suggesting or implying additional fault or consequences.
 steveriley 07 Apr 2014
In reply to john arran:
On the one hand I quite like the story that the organisers *did* cancel but people ran it anyway. Police tried roadblocks but people ran past anyway. Nice example of plucky pig-headedness.

On the other hand people are claiming they didn't know it was cancelled, which is odd. It's pretty noisy with 4,000 people gathered but the announcement is pretty clear on the clip I saw, and Chinese whispers usually pass down a race line pretty quickly. As far as costs go, I can say from similar experience most of what you need to spend is spent or committed by race day. We were really lucky with many of our suppliers waiving invoices they could happily have made us honour (but we're much smaller and most profit goes to charity). I doubt the water company will get many repeat bookings though
Post edited at 12:32
"Apparently a 21 year old man stopped breathing at the event and had to be put on life-support, though is now recovering.

He wasn't aware of the cancellation or water-shortage - poor communication at the stage appears to be a common complaint."

That is very bad. I would have hoped that everyone who ran anyway was fully aware of what they were doing. It seems they weren't. I think whether I had tried to run anyway would have been based on how well hydrated I was at that point (before I go running I tend to neck a couple of pints of water so I don't need to bother carrying any water, but if I knew there were plenty of water stations but fewer toilet facilities compared with running in open country I might not have done that). I'd have been miffed had I gone into it without knowing.

Neil
Post edited at 12:41
In reply to SteveRi:

> As far as costs go, I can say from similar experience most of what you need to spend is spent or committed by race day.

That may well be true but it doesn't affect the contract between the organisers and the punters. It seems to me some quite delicate legal issues might arise, not that I've seen whatever it is the punters sign. obviously.

You would have thought the cancellation insurance would cover it, but I suppose the more you buy cover for the more it costs and you have to pass that cost on to punters in the years you don't have water companies messing up.

jcm

Interesting. I wonder what the contract said?

Even a certain airline famed for "no refunds in any circumstances" does cough up if a flight is cancelled.

Neil
 tony 07 Apr 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

> On the one hand I quite like the story that the organisers *did* cancel but people ran it anyway. Police tried roadblocks but people ran past anyway. Nice example of plucky pig-headedness.

Yes, that was my first thought - we're bloody well trained for it, so we're going to do it.

> On the other hand people are claiming they didn't know it was cancelled, which is odd. It's pretty noisy with 4,000 people gathered but the announcement is pretty clear on the clip I saw, and Chinese whispers usually pass down a race line pretty quickly.

I disagree. Announcements at the start of many races are useless and not heard by a lot of runners. I was doing a 10 mile race yesterday with 170 entrants and even the announcements at the start were pretty much inaudible. With 4000, it would be easy for announcements to be lost. You also have to factor in the herd instinct - once you get a bloody-minded bunch who decide to run, lots of other people will run as well - after all, it's what they're there for, so there's if they don't hear the announcement, there's no reason to do anything different.

Not giving a refund is really crap. If the organisers have to cancel the race because of a fault on their part, they have to expect that people will demand a refund.
 steveriley 07 Apr 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Well our T&Cs said 'no refunds' ...we still managed to offer around 60% which less than half claimed. Because our runners are nice

I do feel for them, everyone's an expert after the fact but sometimes rubbish things do happen. This year we paid for a snowplow on standby knowing full-well it wouldn't be needed. Ho hum
 deepsoup 07 Apr 2014

> The obvious plan b would be to buy water from local supermarkets, but that's difficult at 8am on a Sunday morning.

If plan a was bowsers, I'd have thought the obvious plan b would be taps - standpipes in fire hydrants, even hoses from properties. It's an urban route, continuously within easy reach of mains water.

Sheffield Arena, Sheffield Ice and the EIS (all right next to the start/finish) could have come up with a few thousand disposable plastic cups and a trestle table or two between them, likewise Ponds Forge and SUFC.
 steveriley 07 Apr 2014
In reply to tony:
> I disagree. Announcements at the start of many races are useless and not heard by a lot of runners. I was doing a 10 mile race yesterday with 170 entrants and even the announcements at the start were pretty much inaudible. With 4000, it would be easy for announcements to be lost.

Withdrawn your honour, you're probably right.
In reply to Rampikino:

> Could I ask how you think this is relevant? Even if it is true this kind of thing happens at races and I doubt that it has anything to do with a lack of water.

> It's the kind of thing that gets jumped on to help sensationalise a news story by suggesting or implying additional fault or consequences.

No need for the hostility - I have a lot of sympathy with the organisers and the situation they found themselves in.

Here's the clip from Radio Sheffield

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2053684-dad-of-marathon-runner

I'm well aware that the dangers of exercise can get exaggerated whilst the dangers of inactivity get ignored, but is this common at a half marathon ?

I guess I'm the sort of person who would have been stubborn enough to run anyway (even if I'd known of the problem), and would have suffered, so it's worth being aware of potential consequences.
In reply to SteveRi:
I would be happy with "no refunds" if the reason for the cancellation was "act of God" e.g. atrocious weather conditions, terrorism, incident affecting the roads they were going to use etc.

I would expect a race to be adequately insured to be able to fully refund in the event of cancellation due to the action or inaction of the organising team or any of their agents or contractors.

Edit: I'm also slightly surprised that the decision was made so late. Wouldn't bogs, bowsers etc be in place the day before?

Neil
Post edited at 13:06
 Al Evans 07 Apr 2014

This is a complete load of B***ox, and is a symptom of the nanny state, If people can't run 13 bloody miles without spoonfeeding then we have got to a sad state of affairs. All Sypmathies to the race organisers, Boo to the bowser suppliers, and Boo to all the criticisers of the organisers. No Boo to the runners that went ahead.
In reply to Al Evans:

It's interesting that the Police considered trying to stop them, though I think they made the right decision by not attempting to do so. I'd be interested to see on what grounds they could do so if they had made that decision? Going out for a run that happens to be at the same time as a load of other people do isn't exactly an offence. Though I suppose they'd technically have to use the pavement to avoid causing an obstruction or similar.

Neil
 Rampikino 07 Apr 2014

It wasn't hostile, just a genuine question.
 DancingOnRock 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

It's part of the rules. Just like the distance has to be 13.1 miles. Maybe just plan out a length of road any old distance and stick out a few markers roughly every mile or so or maybe not. Don't bother with water stops every 5km.

Then laugh at 5000 people when they get to 15miles completely dehydrated. See what happens.

It's not about not supplying people with water, it's about organising a race according to agreed standards.

Run an LDWA event if you're not interested in a standard.

I think you can run on the road.. But it was closed roads anyway and the road closures were still in place.
In reply to Al Evans:

You post makes no sense at all. What is a symptom of the nanny state?
In reply to IainRUK:
Ah right. I guess they could have said the roads remained closed to everyone, including the runners of the non-half marathon

No criticism of the Police intended, though, as I believe they made the right decision in the circumstances.

Neil
Post edited at 13:42

water company have come out with a statement saying its a mix up.. sounds like they were asked for a quote and not actually booked..

Chris the Tall 08 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

They are now saying they sent out a number of reminders for payment, these were ignored so they didn't deliver.

Meanwhile the organisers are saying they will go bankrupt if they have to give refunds.
 tony 08 Apr 2014

Do the organisers have any kind of track record (with apologies) in organising race events? In my experience (sweeping generalisations alert) it's not uncommon for events organisations without previous experience of doing races to stuff up big time with some part of the overall organisations. It's usually do to do with marshalling and course management in my experience.

Whereas races organised by clubs tend to be much-better managed, and are seen from the point of view of the runner, with lots of double-checks that all the is are dotted and ts crossed.
 Neil Williams 08 Apr 2014
So they didn't have adequate insurance cover, either. And it seems the cancellation was completely their fault as they had not organised water.

I'm not sure bankruptcy is the solution, but perhaps the honourable thing to do would be to dissolve the company voluntarily and pay as much of a percentage refund as they can given the amount of money left at the end. Or to proceed with organising again next year, doing it properly and offering free or heavily-discounted places to those who wish to take them for next year.

Neil
Post edited at 16:11
In reply to tony:

"“At previous events we have always taken delivery of the water on the morning of the race and our suppliers have proven very reliable in this respect."

So I guess so. But to me that's way, way too late (I know large tanks of fresh water don't keep so well, but the evening before would have been feasible I guess). Basically, they've just been lucky so far.

Neil
 Chris the Tall 08 Apr 2014

Would the council trust them again ?
Would you trust them with £40 of your money ?

All depends on who you believe is to blame for the fiasco, and unless they can explain why they failed to respond to the requests for payment, it looks like it them.
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Then laugh at 5000 people when they get to 15miles completely dehydrated. See what happens.

If they get to 15 miles in a half marathon they are probably lost.

Not only that, but having something crucial (water) delivered on the morning of the race with no backup plan, as seems to be being alleged, is bordering on negligent.

Neil
 Banned User 77 08 Apr 2014

I think its them regardless..

They should pay back registration fees and then sort it out with the water company..

Just cutting costs, last minute deliveries.. I've done races where they have tried that with port-loos to reduce hire costs, they dont turn up, and runners will just shit anywhere before a race.. they shouldn't but everyone knows they will..

As it stands runners have taken the cost. Runners should avoid this event from now on unless re-imbursements are made..
 deepsoup 08 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:
Is it normal to have water delivered in bowsers to urban events? Is that not loads more expensive than local tap water?

I just looked it up - it costs £23.50 to hire a metered standpipe from Yorkshire Water for a week, and a further £1.255 per cubic meter (1000l) of water.
(So - lets go crazy - that'll be £3.14 for all 5000 runners to have a pint each!)

Edit to add...

Oh no, my mistake. Standpipes aren't supposed to be used for drinking water apparently.
(Except when they are. As in the great drought of 2012. ho ho. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17907418 )
Post edited at 17:10
 Banned User 77 08 Apr 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

Got to say I've never heard of that but I've mainly been involved with smaller races, fell races so a few bins of water is plenty..

In todays age its just simpler to get a water company to provide bottles enmasse.. sanitation etc..

Many events will have a sponsor who is a provider, Hella were huge in Germany, Highland Spring are associated with a fair few in Scotland..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...