UKC

Zippo vs Steel vs Matches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Boulderdash86 06 Apr 2014
Evening All,

I have just got back from a wet weekend on Dartmoor - and a problem I have come across is that with some of the cookers we were using was the lighting them. We supply the children with matches and a lighter in each cooker so they have a back up and they were fine (even though some did use a lot of matches as they kept going out.

However my Jet Boil the petzl ignitor has now gone, I do carry a cheap disposable lighter as back up but was wondering whether people have had any experience with Zippos and what they are like when they get damp or a Flint and steel to light gas or a fuel cooker. Also what works well at altitude (say 4000m+)?

On another note, anyone just got rid of the petzl ignitor on there jet boil as it does seem prone to damage?

Thanks

BD
 Dr.S at work 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Boulderdash86:
For gas or meths, Flint and steel works very well indeed.

I'm racking my brains to try and remember if I've used it on petrol but cannot.

I carry a disposable lighter and flint and steel - lighter for bog roll etc, and gives me a degree of redundancy.
 origamib 06 Apr 2014
When I was a smoker, I hated Zippo lighters... they look lovely, last a lifetime but the fuel runs out very quickly. These days if I'm out I'll carry a flint and steel just because its small but will usually rely on a small disposable lighter (bic or similar).
 Clarence 06 Apr 2014

I use a zippo, if it gets totally soaked I just leave it upside down for about ten minutes and it seems to light first time again. Never had any problems, the flint will light a gas jet even if the lighter is out of fuel - but you have to be careful not to burn fingers doing that.
 woolsack 06 Apr 2014

Flints in Zippos or disposables are useless when wet so whichever way you go, no spark=no fire
 JJL 06 Apr 2014

Get a firesteel
 psaunders 06 Apr 2014

Firesteels are good for everything in my experience, never a problem with altitude, cold or wet. They make this a total non-issue, haven't used a lighter or matches for years.
OP Boulderdash86 06 Apr 2014

Thanks for all the replies, I have decided to go with a fire steel now and have also removed my Ignitor from my Jetboil that was not working and still works fine. Only thing is the head may soon go as its one of the original ones.
 TMM 06 Apr 2014

Have you contacted Lyon Equipment for a replacement Piezo ignitor for your Jetboil? They were very happy to send me a replacement FOC. To protect it in the future I use the cap from a can of shaving gel, this stops from getting knocked about by anything you stow in the mug.
 useful 06 Apr 2014

Firesteels are reliable and look cool! What more can you want?
 Firestarter 06 Apr 2014

Firesteel all the way. And if you need a sustainable flame rub vaseline into cotton wool balls - they will burn for a good couple of minutes even in the pi:$/^:g rain.
 Billy the fish 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> For gas or meths, Flint and steel works very well indeed.

> I'm racking my brains to try and remember if I've used it on petrol but cannot.

Firesteels work well lighting my petrol stoves. I don't carry matches or lighters now as they are nowhere near as good as the steels when conditions are wet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...