UKC

Emergency ascendors for ropes less than 8mm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Amos 06 Apr 2014
I climb using Edelrid Apus (7.8mm diameter) and as I am heading out to the alps this year I though i had better invest in some sort of ascendor. But looking at Traxions, ropemans and tiblocs, all require a rope with a diameter larger than 8mm. So two things:
Does anyone know of ascendors designed for sub 8mm ropes?
Will a standard tibloc still work, it is only .2 of a mm difference afterall?

Cheers
 crayefish 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Matt Amos:

You've probably considered this, but prussiks? I find the Bachman using a soft wide tape sling is very grippy and works on thin ropes. And the binner basically acts like a nice handle! Obviously not as quick to set up but won't trash the rope like a tribloc.
OP Matt Amos 06 Apr 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Yeah I've always got prussics, I just thought there would be situations made quicker and easier with something else.
 jimtitt 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Matt Amos:

The Climbing Technology RollNLock is rated for 8mm ropes but also for tape and works on my 7.8mm rope no problem. It´s wide enough to take both strands as well which is handy.
 jon 06 Apr 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> I find the Bachman using a soft wide tape sling is very grippy and works on thin ropes. And the binner basically acts like a nice handle!

It does grip well indeed, but the krab doesn't act as a handle - pulling on it releases the knot. It only acts as a handle to push the knot up the rope, which is hardly necessary.
 crayefish 06 Apr 2014
In reply to jon:

> It does grip well indeed, but the krab doesn't act as a handle - pulling on it releases the knot. It only acts as a handle to push the knot up the rope, which is hardly necessary.

I meant as a handle to pull it up obviously Useful when wearing thick gloves and stressed. Pulling up a prussik with cold hands in thick gloves can be kinda annoying. I don't know why you'd need a handle to pull on though... unless you're doing some fixed rope jumar stuff which I gather he isn't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...