/ Emergency ascendors for ropes less than 8mm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matt Amos - on 06 Apr 2014
I climb using Edelrid Apus (7.8mm diameter) and as I am heading out to the alps this year I though i had better invest in some sort of ascendor. But looking at Traxions, ropemans and tiblocs, all require a rope with a diameter larger than 8mm. So two things:
Does anyone know of ascendors designed for sub 8mm ropes?
Will a standard tibloc still work, it is only .2 of a mm difference afterall?

Cheers
crayefish - on 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Matt Amos:

You've probably considered this, but prussiks? I find the Bachman using a soft wide tape sling is very grippy and works on thin ropes. And the binner basically acts like a nice handle! Obviously not as quick to set up but won't trash the rope like a tribloc.
Matt Amos - on 06 Apr 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Yeah I've always got prussics, I just thought there would be situations made quicker and easier with something else.
jimtitt - on 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Matt Amos:

The Climbing Technology RollNLock is rated for 8mm ropes but also for tape and works on my 7.8mm rope no problem. Itīs wide enough to take both strands as well which is handy.
jon on 06 Apr 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> I find the Bachman using a soft wide tape sling is very grippy and works on thin ropes. And the binner basically acts like a nice handle!

It does grip well indeed, but the krab doesn't act as a handle - pulling on it releases the knot. It only acts as a handle to push the knot up the rope, which is hardly necessary.
crayefish - on 06 Apr 2014
In reply to jon:

> It does grip well indeed, but the krab doesn't act as a handle - pulling on it releases the knot. It only acts as a handle to push the knot up the rope, which is hardly necessary.

I meant as a handle to pull it up obviously :) Useful when wearing thick gloves and stressed. Pulling up a prussik with cold hands in thick gloves can be kinda annoying. I don't know why you'd need a handle to pull on though... unless you're doing some fixed rope jumar stuff which I gather he isn't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.