UKC

Access for Blue Scar - Yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scott Quinn 07 Apr 2014
Going off the crag info on both UKC & BMC to be granted access you must apply.

"... 'With effect from the 1st July 2011 permissive access arrangements have changed and access is only with written permission obtained in advance. Proof of current BMC membership will be required. Application forms from sundial@globalnet.co.uk'.... "

Does anyone know if this e-mail is still correct I requested an application months ago.

I know the bird ban is currently on, just fancy getting it sorted for when the weather inevitably craps out in the lakes this summer :P
 Bulls Crack 07 Apr 2014
In reply to scott quinn:

Not sure. I got permission a couple of years ago but then didn't get a reply to another email querying the sport route clasue ie the permission didn't extend to them
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 07 Apr 2014
In reply to scott quinn:

Peter Walker: sundial@globalnet.co.uk yes it worked last year for me.
 Bulls Crack 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Are sport routes still off limits?
In reply to scott quinn:

It worked for me fine last summer
OP Scott Quinn 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor:
Hmm maybe I'm just a tad impatient...

Certain friends of mine will only ever check their e-mails every couple of months, if it worked for you chaps last year i'm sure it will this one

I didn't know the sport routes were off limits?
BMC say the other sections of the crag are owned by various individuals all of whom are happy for climbing to continue - giving access permision through (Peter Walker)the farmers land.

Thanks guys!
Post edited at 11:44
OP Scott Quinn 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Interesting!

Seems perfectly reasonable
 Bulls Crack 07 Apr 2014
In reply to scott quinn:

not sure how its 'enforced'
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Are sport routes still off limits?

The real problem was not climbing the sports routes per se but that the popularity of the sports routes meant that too many cars were parking on the road causing access dificulties for the farmer.

It is a shame that we have not been able to negotiate a better parking arrangement for climbers at this superb crag.

Is anyone even trying to sort it out?
OP Scott Quinn 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Steve Crowe:
Good question maybe its worth raising at the next bmc area meeting?
From what I can find it was last mentioned at the 191st BMC yorkshire area meeting in 2011 the latest minutes dont mention it...http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=3079

I can see the issue & respect the current access agreements.
Looking forward to having permision to climb there, the trad lines read awesome!
as long as the threads dont count as fixed gear...hope no one minds if I replace one or two.
Post edited at 09:44
 Bob 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Steve Crowe:

I've always wondered why the farmer/landowner didn't clear the bit of land on the Arncliffe side of the buildings and allow parking there. I've never seen it used for anything even remotely agricultural.

Charge a couple of quid which to avoid tax shenanigans could go to the local parish or whatever, bring in a no-parking rule on the road. You'd have to limit the number of cars so as not to let things get too popular and cause other problems.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Bob:

Exactly. That sounds like the ideal solution!

Steve
 Bulls Crack 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Steve Crowe:

> The real problem was not climbing the sports routes per se but that the popularity of the sports routes meant that too many cars were parking on the road causing access dificulties for the farmer.

Agreed but the conditions of access still state you can't use fixed gear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...