UKC

Loch Fannich Dam access road

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Planning on ticking off my remaining Fannaich hills at the beginning of May.

Was hoping to take the tent and camp out but dont want to be leaving the car visible on the main road around Lochluichart.

Can you drive for some distance up the access road for Loch Fannich Dam? That way I could leave the car parked more discreetly in a layby up there for a night or two.

Cool as Beanz!
Bye
Paul
 rif 07 Apr 2014
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:

No, there's a locked gate a very short way up the track. The best parking is in a loop of old road opposite the dam track, parallel to the present road but separated from it by trees. Incidentally, do you really need to take a tent in? -- if you have a bike, it's easy to do several/all of the central & eastern Fannichs in a day trip from this side.
In reply to rif:

Just what I needed to know, and thanks for the info on the other carpark.

The plan is to do all except Meall Chrasgaidh, Sgurr Mor & Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich which I've already done. So I reckon I'll need to camp at least one night. My legs aren't that good
 JohnnyW 07 Apr 2014

I took a client over exactly what you are planning this weekend - Coincidentally, they had also already done what you had too, so Day 1 we parked at Loch a Bhroin and did A'Chailleach to Sgurr nan Clach Geala anti-clockwise via the fine ridge (Druim something) and the bealach between the more NW two, descending from the broad col between Geala and Chresgaidh. Day 2 we did An Coilleachan (sp?) and Meall thingy, dropping directly down to the new and very weird discontinuous path to Beinn Liath Mhor Fannich, and back to the car at the NW end of Loch Glascarnoch.

It was a bit of a traipse in the wet conditions, but we still got them done in 9.5 and 8 hours respectively, so in drier conditions, it'd be easier than lugging a tent imo.
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks for the timings! Knowing my luck it'll be soaking when I do it too!
 JohnnyW 07 Apr 2014

Actually Paul, one thing I will say is that Aultguish have done up their bunkhouse, and the rooms, showers and kitchen facilities are really good now. I baulked at the £19 for a bunkhouse, but there are small rooms with just 2 bunks in, and as I say, absolutely brilliant hot showers, so I felt it was vfm. If the pub had been open, I would have been well happy (it opens at Easter).

That was my second time round those hills, and I bet they're great in dry weather, but I have only ever seen them dreich.
Removed User 07 Apr 2014

I'll second what Rif says about parking. I wouldn't worry about leaving a car overnight there, it isn't exactly central Manchester.
In reply to JohnnyW:

Sold!! And a pub too?! Surely a ramble in the country shouldn't be so gentlemanly!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...